The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #4516
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

So not only is Romney a douche, he's a gauche douche!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #4517
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

That's about the size of it, aye.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #4518
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My head still hurts.

At the pool yesterday, Minifob was distracting me, and Minifobette jumped right on top of me while my head was turned, which is very out of character for her. This was like half a millisecond after I'd just put her back on the wall and was still backing up to catch her again, and she never moves that fast for anything. I don't know what she was smoking.

Anyway, her chin impacted my skull at full force, right on the hairline. There was a tiny bit of blood in her mouth, and she got a big bruise on her chin. I don't have a bump or a visible mark or anything, but it still hurts like a bitch. I honestly think I have a mild concussion, and I'm on the lookout for nausea or a sudden return of the headache or anything serious like that. But really, it's just a pain in the ass (head) because it's right on the spot where I push my hair out of my face with my hand, and I keep accidentally touching it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #4519
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You could have a fracture. A friend of mine got hit with a hockey puck in a kids league, and the x-ray was amazing, looked like a spider web on his skull.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #4520
Clodfobble

They can't really treat that sort of thing though, can they? Just take it easy, watch out for signs of internal bleeding, etc. I'm doing better now--I was foggy headed and sleepy all day the day after it happened, but now it just feels like a normal bruise on my head.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #4521
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They would probably tell you to rest and avoid stress or exertion.

Well, they say laughter is the best medicine, and that would give you a good one.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #4522
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I feel really crook today, and it's Aden's birthday. I had plans for an awesome cake, but now it's just going to be a plain mud cake with ganache on top. I might split it and fill it with strawberries and cream.

I think I've peaked too early. Things have been flat chat around here lately and today it seems to have caught up with me. I need a holiday.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #4523
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well.... careful what you wish for.

you *do* have a birth day coming up soon, doncha?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #4524
Clodfobble

Minifob got his teacher assignment for next year: our second choice. Which is totally fine, she was actually tied for first choice in our minds, the tie breaker was simply that Minifob had had some slight interactions with the other lady, and said he liked her.

However, this seems to me to be a blatant power play on the part of the school, letting me know that I have some input, but do not get my way. Because when we met his new teacher, she knew nothing about him, no idea that he had an IEP or anything. So it's not like there was a group decision among all the teachers about which students go in which classes. And if there was a single administrator making the assignments, there is absolutely no reason not to have given us our first choice teacher, other than a power play. (Other students don't get to name teacher choices at all, we were the ones who brought it up at our last ARD meeting.)

Perhaps they asked our top-choice teacher for her agreement in taking him, and she secretly hates him so she said no--fair possibility, except why then would they not extend the same question to the second choice teacher, and thus she would be tipped off before meeting him that he was something different and not a standard student? She had no clue who he was, so I assume they didn't ask her if she wanted him. Thus I assume they didn't ask the first teacher either. Thus I assume they are being dicks and just showing me that they make the decisions, not me.

Note for next year: remember to list our first choice teacher as our second choice.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #4525
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Note for next year: remember to list our first choice teacher as our second choice.
Assuming it's the same administrator making the decisions.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #4526
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

not going to make my trip to san fran this weekend. between work and fucking up yesterday on a mountain bike and jacking up damn near my whole right side....i'm going to work at home and take it easy.

hopefully my friend will still be in the states next weekend and i can make the trip then.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #4527
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Clod - allocating students and teachers is a complex equation and there are many things to take into account. I would rather assume there was a reason Fob couldn't be with the teacher you hoped for, rather than the school just being dicks.

Certainly our teachers don't know what children they will get until class lists are issued, but then none of our parents get to chose the classes, they are organised strictly on birthdays. As many classes in the school teach two different year groups it's down to the individual spread of birthdays in a given year, so it's by no means set in stone, unless your child has a September or August birthday. The day the lists are diseminated is a busy day in the staffroom, as teachers and TAs gather to exchange information and advice. LSAs like me tend to follow a specific child, or are advised in advance of a chance in routine, so we're the only ones already aware.

At least she was a very close second.
And sorry you feel you've been stiffed.
I accept the school might actually be being dicks, it's just more restful if you think they're not.

Philth, sorry for your spill and the cancellation of your plans.
Be more careful!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #4528
Clodfobble

Like I said, I'm pleased with the teacher herself. She really was a tie for first choice to us. I'm just suspicious of the school's behavior. Parents here don't get to choose teachers either, it's an accommodation that we came up with ourselves, and to my knowledge no other autism parent in the district has ever asked for it. It's because I'm a cynic--other parents spend hours fighting tooth and nail for specific things, and then the teachers just don't do them when class time comes. I believe that if a teacher is determined not to be bothered, all the legal requirements in the world are not going to make her classroom a good environment for your child, so our focus has always been carefully choosing the best person available, and hoping the rest comes naturally.

But they don't do birthdays either, because they want the flexibility to separate certain children each year as necessary. Maybe by 5th grade it's a complex river-crossing puzzle, but with only one year under their belts, it should still be close to a random toss, I would think.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #4529
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I believe that if a teacher is determined not to be bothered, all the legal requirements in the world are not going to make her classroom a good environment for your child...
Ahem. I couldn't possibly comment on that...
YAY! September is a new term!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #4530
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

good luck to clan Clod.

sorry you're all bent out of shape, plt.

Irritating me? Myself. I managed to unload the better part of an aeresol can of spray adhesive ... all over my hands, and tools, and table, and the front of my computer last night. By the time I got it to the kitchen and into the sink, most of its champagne bottle imitation was done. Still managed to coat half the sink and the front edge with gooey glue.

I've been finding little balls of tacky rubber-cement-like schmutz all day. And for the foreseeable future.

Tags
mild cheddar