The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
loTEK911
Abhorrent Aberrant

Back in the day

A long time friend o mine sent me this link. Take a listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oi-3t5H1r4 Got me thinking. When we met I was 19 and on my way to Seattle PD SWAT. He was 22 and an aspiring rock star. 9 years later I'm a bartender at the club we met at an he's pushing papers in the army signal corps. It's a bit nostalgic, I know, but what were you all going for "back in the day"? How far did you stray?

Last edited by loTEK911; 03-28-2007 at 09:41 AM.
loTEK911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was going to get my PhD in psychiatry, counsel blue-haired ladies for 100 bucks an hour, and live in a beautiful loft in New York City.

Well, not so much.

Thanks for the link to that song. Some things are timeless. [/waxing nostalgic]

Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

back in the day.....I slipped down the rabbit hole and spent way too long in Wonderland with the Mad Hatter and all his cronies. Took me a long time to find my way back to real world...by which time the game had changed and so had I.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I swore I was going to be in the Navy just like my Dad and my brother, I joined Navy ROTC, hated it. Went to PLC in the Marine Corps for a summer, sucked. Joined the Army.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
glatt

Back in the day, I'd go to parties at college and stand in the corner with my friends, slowly sipping the cheap beer from plastic cups, sometimes talking, and always trying to look cool for the ladies who were paying no attention to us. Then I'd walk back to my dorm room alone and drunk.

Oh, how I miss those days.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
Shawnee123

Those ladies must have been just plain stupid. :p
Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Back in the day I was going to marry a rich man, live in a huge house with lots of children and write books in my home office (with large windows overlooking the perfect lawn where my children played).

I read far too much Louisa M Alcott and L M Montgomery.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Back in the day I was going to marry a rich man, live in a huge house with lots of children and write books in my home office (with large windows overlooking the perfect lawn where my children played).
I guess I've always been weird. Even as a young girl, I told my mom I didn't plan to have children. Isn't this every woman's dream? And I LOVE kids, and I'm good with them. I just never saw myself as a mom.

The white picket fence and beautiful husband and children were never my dream. I wonder why that is? No matter, the dream I did have is but a faint memory.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

"Back in the day" I was one depressed, lonely guy. I figured I would be dead before I was 30. Tried to accomplish it a few times on my own.
I started living when I turned 40 and have fit more happiness in the last 7 years than I ever had in the first 40.

I may fantsize now and then, but dreams are asking for the stars.
I don't want to lose what I have now because I never should have had it at all according to my early "Back in the day" days.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post

Those ladies must have been just plain stupid. :p
Yes. I suppose they were.

But my post wasn't in the spirit of this thread. It wasn't about my dreams and where I ended up instead.

Back in the day, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be. This caused me much anxiety. I had no real dreams. Everyone I knew seemed to have their shit together and know what they wanted to be when they grew up. I had no clue. So I just did what I was told and kept my nose clean, but otherwise followed the path of least resistance through life and ended up here. I never really chose this life. It just happened to me. I did end up with an amazing wife and kids, but the career is rather uninspiring.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I don't have any "back in the day" yet, you insensitive clods!
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I don't have any "back in the day" yet, you insensitive clods!
lol!

To Glatt: having the wonderful family is much more than a lot of people will ever have. You are lucky to have them and they are lucky to have you! I'd call it a success story.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #13
glatt

Quote:
To Glatt: having the wonderful family is much more than a lot of people will ever have. You are lucky to have them and they are lucky to have you! I'd call it a success story.
I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining. I'm not at all.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Shawnee123

Oh, I know that...just felt like spreading some positive affirmation around! I know that you know that you got it going on; didn't mean to make you think that I thought you were complaining!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
I guess I've always been weird. Even as a young girl, I told my mom I didn't plan to have children. Isn't this every woman's dream? And I LOVE kids, and I'm good with them. I just never saw myself as a mom.

The white picket fence and beautiful husband and children were never my dream. I wonder why that is? No matter, the dream I did have is but a faint memory.
I admit I never realistically thought about children. About 10 years ago I found a "rough book" (a workbook we were given each term to take miscellaneous notes in - usually ended up full of obscene jokes, telephone numbers and drawings) from when I was 14. I'd actually listed the potential names of my daughters. I planned to have 6.

This quite surprised me - as an adult I realised I have no maternal urges at all. I dread my biological clock starting to tick because it's been silent so long I figure it would go off like a nuclear bomb. My dreams of children come from a time I wasn't physically capable of having them. They are a child's dream.

My image of an airy home, filled with fresh flowers, the smell of baking, the laughter of children and the tapping of my typewriter came directly from my childhood heroines Jo and Anne. Oh Katy's family in Susan Coolidge's What Katy Did... books.

I'm not sure what happened to my dreams once my hormones kicked in - all I know is everything became reasonably short term after 16. Probably best given that my highest calling was to spawn.

I'd still like to write one day though.