The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #61
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm afraid, LJ, that this is a classic case of differing viewpoints. I don't really find Mari's posts to be offensive. Does she expect too much from Society? Maybe. But, people speak from their hearts. The contents of people's hearts differ. The levels of people's tolerance for varying degrees and forms of expression differ as well.

Mari suffered a life-changing misfortune, and she tells us how she feels about it. If she's out slogging through the snow delivering phone books, then I can scarcely feel that she's not doing what she can to make the best of it, so I tend to read what she has to say, and don't let it bother me if it is at times seems to me to be whiny or whatever. After all, I'm not brain-injured, delivering phone books, and if I was, who knows what I'd say about things?

Even so, perhaps I have a different view of such circumstances, since I am the parent of a disabled, brain-injured adult child. Maybe I see things differently because I know how difficult the System is, how much tap-dancing you have to do just to get the most meager of subsistence income and keep it. I have firsthand experience with the spirit-crushing rejection that a disabled person can face trying to retain the most meager of jobs, of being unable to afford much of anything, ever. I see daily the loneliness and ostracization suffered by my son because he talks funny, thinks poorly, and is embittered and angry much of the time.

You, on the other hand, may have a lower tolerance for this sort of thing. At least, you do here on The Cellar. I'm sure you are a generous and sympathetic person IRL. So - perhaps Mari's view of the world isn't as positive as that of others, and perhaps she, too, judges the world differently, more harshly, more bitterly. Maybe her expressions of her worldview offend you because you haven't walked a mile in her proverbial shoes?

Or maybe not. Maybe we're all just whiners in the end, spoiled American losers who would have been dead ten years ago in a less prosperous land. And maybe we should all just shut up and like it.

I've often thought about having my son join The Cellar, but honestly, I didn't want to see him beaten up here...and he would be, for much the same reasons as you dislike Mari's postings. The Cellar is too edgy a place, and has too definite a limit for personal strife and the expressions thereof.

Or maybe I'm just a wishy-washy pussy...who knows?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #62
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
Cougar, you have no need to worry, you are not a member of the nitwit brigade. you just like to argue with me......

LOL I argue with everyone, so don't feel all special and getting a big head n stuff, ya big non-car selling car salesman.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 04:55 PM   #63
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

spode, i don;t think you're hearing me. her disability has nothing to do with it. i just am not forgiving her for annoying me because of it. i would be just as annoyed if she were perfectly healthy and constantly harped on some other point. do you suggest that I should treat her differently than i would anyone else? It's not like i pick on her because she had/has CO poisoning. I'm sure she was just as fucked up before it happened. renting from your mom with a roomate is not exactly indicitive of a highly productive contributor to society like she claims to have been. sorry if i offend your sensiblities, and sorry to have exposed you to negative reading material, but damn.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:12 PM   #64
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Like I said, differing viewpoints, differing levels of tolerance - and different interpretations of content. I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure it means the same thing to me as it does to you somehow. I read what Mari writes, and I clearly don't get the same things out of it that you do.

Viva individuality!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #65
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Man, all this reminds me of this guy that used to be here...he was a lot like Jim. And this guy did something to another Dwellar not unlike what Jim is doing to Mari. And you know, it was right around this time last year...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #66
atropos
random twisted fate to the second power

Delurking again to post News Flash from trendy southern California: Fights on the playground as a form of entertainment are passe' after age 5. The hip 6 year old pulls the wings off flies in his spare moments.

From what I can tell, Mari, you appear to be living on some sort of government hand out program at the moment and want to get off it. Well, good for you! I for one would stand up and cheer if more welfare recipients would post asking for job advice and take their hands out out of my pocketbook. What the hell, send the outfit a resume and a suitably snappy cover letter. It's just some charity, for God's sake - we're not talking about an executive position with a Fortune 500 Company. They might just jump at the chance to hire you because it will make THEM look good, practice what you preach, blah, blah, blah.

Remind me to never post anything personal on this board. I'd rather slash a vein and go swim with the sharks off Malibu beach. At least some hot young life guard might come rescue me.

Elspode, sorry to hear about your kid, dude. Sometimes life really sucks. Hope things work out for him and you, as well.

LJ, you amuse me, but I have to say that you are very boring on this topic. Even someone like me who has been around only a few months, mostly lurking, gets the picture already that you despise Marichiko. It's old news. Go in for a nice long session with your shrink, smoke some good weed, finance or sell or whatever the hell it is you do with cars and MOVE ON. Get over it. You whine more than Marichiko does and that's saying something. And please, the string of obscenities that you seem to enjoy using with your every other reply, indicate only a man with a limited vocabulary and an even more limited thought process. I deal with enough people like that in real life. They're called wanna-be ocean front property buyers who make 10K a year and have defaulted on about $100,000 in debts and want to sue ME because they can't get a bank loan.

Next topic.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM   #67
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

and what does jumping into the middle of a "playground fight" while stating that you wouldn't want to post any personal information that the 'sharks' might try to feed on say about ones thought processes?
and would you pease illuminate my 'strings of obscenities in my every other reply' to me? i went back a bit, and could only find pussy, bitch, fucking, and fuck. but they were used in context and well dispersed among several posts. a string of obscenities is more like this:

" why don't you shut the fuck up and stay out of shit that doesn't concern your cum swallowing, asshole eating, father fisting self?" see?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #68
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

all we need now is to hear from tw on my emotional state. gah
Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #69
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Onyxcougar writes:
You know, I don't understand why everyone is getting pissy here.
Mari asked for advice on something, just like just about every regular on this board has at one time or another. There was absolutely no reason to get shitty with her about it, Jim. I understand if you don't like her, ... but I really don't see the need to attack her like that.
And so we return to April. LJ did same to her. Interesting is why. April's problems were irrelevant to him. His emotions remain more important. He attacked her unmercifully only because HE did not like what she posted. Its all about his emotions. Screw Mari who properly posted for a 'sounding board' response. LJ's response is first and foremost about HIS emotions.

Real men don't care whether they like a person. They don't care whether they dislike the post or its purpose. Real men could just ignore the post. Real men don't think emotionally as LJ has demonstrated. Like a character from Jerry Springer, LJ must attack Marichiko.

Lumberjim thrives by attacking those he does not like; when he senses a weakness. Lumberjim 'the man' would have ignored her. There is nothing offensive in her posts as others have properly noted. But Lumberjim 'the boy' must attack her anyway - like it was a playground - for reasons only a child could understand.

Dar512 also demonstrates how a man replies:
Quote:
... that the qualifications listed are what they would like to get. If there a number of qualified candidates applying, you are unlikely to get the position.
On the other hand, if there aren't a number of qualified candidates applying you have a shot. ... I think it all comes down to whether there will be other candidates with more experience. Give it a shot. But don't pin your hopes on it. In the mean time, submit a bunch of other resumes for other positions. Getting hired is a numbers game. You generally have to lick a lot of envelopes to get an interview -- and do a lot of interviews to get an offer.
Marichiko - grant writing is about learning to write what they want to see. Easier when you have experience. But the job does not necessarily require experience. It requires someone who can quickly comprehend the system and write accordingly. No one is going to admit that in a job posting. They will be looking as to whether you can 'spin' the request as the grantor wants. IOW they want a quick learner; experience being secondary. They will look at your cover letter to learn how well you 'spin' - write what they want to hear. Go for the job and ignore those who need gratification by attacking others when they sense weakness.

Reposted because it applies again:
Quote:
Long time Cellar Dwellers will remember a man named Barak - who played the "white boys" incessently. He too got others all huffed up and emotional over what was simple silliness. The difference was that Barak openly acknowledged he was baiting the "white boys".
Barak would have loved playing Lumberjim. Some boys remain boys long after they were suppose to become men. There was nothing offensive in Marichiko's post. But his response was an insult to men - just like those Springer characters.

Last edited by tw; 12-01-2004 at 11:37 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 01:54 AM   #70
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Or maybe I'm just a wishy-washy pussy...who knows?
You forgot "treehugging," which should be inserted in between wishy-washy and pussy.

Love you, bro.

BB

(I think we just need to lighten up some. Yes, even me. I will try to do so after the dust settles from the dead guy in the nuthouse tonight. I didn't do it.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 12-02-2004 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added much needed winking smileys to underline wry humor of post.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:46 AM   #71
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

This thread needs to star in a snuff film.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #72
garnet

I'm not going to jump in on the "LJ is an asshole" theme of this thread, because I've been the target of such a thread in the past, and it sucks. LJ, I know whe've had our differences, but can I give some advice? Just ignore Mari, ignore me, and ignore everyone else you hate here. Trust me, it makes life in the Cellar a lot more pleasant. There 's a few people here I can't stand, so I avoid them like the plague. Give it a shot man, it works. OK, I'm done. Feel free to call me cunt now
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #73
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
OC, since i have some respect for you, i'll let you in on my rationale for 'attacking' miss poorme. oh, wait, I just did.

I DO have compassion.
Then why the snide "miss poor me" remark? Didn't sound very compassionate to me.

Quote:
for instance, I have not once posted anything about Rho turning every topic toward herself and her Kidney problems, because that is a real motherfucker that she didn;t ask for, and it basically rules her life.
Good idea, because I would fucking roast your ass to ashes if you did. And are you saying that Mari ASKED for CO poisoning? And it doesn't rule HER life???? Whoa...quite telling IMO.

Quote:
I didn;t start in on maristinkinchicko until i'd had it up to HERE with the vacuuous nature of her every post. And by vacuuous, i mean she sucks in every topic, apes every compelling thread, and generally (for me at least) has become intolerably annoying. In this thread particularly. i mean, c'mon. of COURSE she should apply for the job. what the fuck? why WOULDN'T you? the title of the thread should have been 'Hey, everybody, I could use some attention!' not 'input' That's why i chose to atack her here.
Soooo...just because YOU assumed (because of your obvious hatred of her) that she wanted attention, then it MUST be so, right?

Oh never fucking mind...I mean you are not FORCED to read what Mari writes, you know.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #74
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
..... but can I give some advice? Just ignore Mari, ignore me, and ignore everyone else you hate here. Trust me, it makes life in the Cellar a lot more pleasant. .....
AH...

this is actually the heart of the matter. ignoring her and those like her won;t make it better. If I give her shit, and it makes her think twice about posting useless look at me threads, .....that works. people like to refer to the self policing nature of the cellar......well, how do you expect that to happen if no one has the balls to call someone out when they act like a ninny? the software won;t do it.....Tony can't. dave is gone, FnF aint here.......sycamore is too lazy to be honest about how he really fells about her, blah blah blah. I think beestie is right. i have made my point. i have taken my lumps. I'm not even going to reply to tw (except to remind him that cucumbers are on sale at the acme).

peace. i'll leave marichiko alone if you guys enjoy her posts so much. i just think it's a shame that I appear to be in the minority.
talk to you later.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #75
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
spode, i actually was referring to one of your posts.

Yours was the compelling one i referenced that she most recently aped. It aint that I don;t have compassion for her, I have disdain for her shitty sarcastic, poor me, you owe me because i contributed to society as a high powered librarian (high powered librarian?!) for a long time, and can't work now doing something like librarian-ing even though i can spend all day clamoring for attention on a b-board, constantly yammering, sticky, gooey, knees-bent advancing behavior, ridiculous, trite, petulant personality.

I seriously doubt that you have even the slightest idea what it's like to be in Mari's shoes...shoes by the way, she didn't ask to fill. And yes, neither do I know what it's like to be her, and in her exact situation. BUT, I DO know what it's like to have been put in a situation that I certainly didn't ask for, and to have various feelings about it.

I basically only mention my kidney failure if I feel the need to have to explain the "why" of something. And since renal failure has pretty much taken over my life, then I *may* mention it more times than someone else would. Oh well, it happens. And Mari may mention her situation more times than people would like to care read...again, OH WELL. No one here is being forced to read a damn thing if they chose not to.

Basically Jim, it all boils down to this:

"Unless you are walking in my shoes,
You don't have the right to map out my route."
Dr. George Keller

Period.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote