The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #166
extemporaneous
i like watching the puddles gather rain

that has to be dime bag darrel. (pantera/damage plan) amazing musician
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #167
monster
I hear them call the tide

Well it's a ressurected thread, but I wasn't here when it started, so I'll answer now .

I was most upset by the death of Freddie Mercury.

John Peel was a sad surprise, too.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #168
Kozmique
Pirate Queen

When I heard that John Entwhistle died (in bed with a prostitute, on coke, natch) the night before the Who kicked off their tour at the Hollywood Bowl (to which I had tickets) I was so upset that I interrupted a painting series I was working on to create an image of him as the Ox, which I then pasted onto some devotional candles and set up at the entrance to the Bowl when the remainder of the Who played their rescheduled show. Also, when I heard on the car radio that Mark Sandman of Morphine had died on stage I had to pull over because I was crying too much to drive. And Jerry Garcia's death was, of course, the death of so much more.
Kozmique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #169
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Unhappy RIP

Andreas Katsulas, felled by lung cancer.
IMDB

He was the One Armed Man in The Fugitive, but I knew him best as G'Kar in Babylon 5. His interaction with Peter Jurasik was the absolute best part of a great show. Katsulas infused more power and emotion into a latex creation than anyone I've seen in any show. If there's ever a return to the B5 universe, his absence will be keenly felt.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 02-15-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #170
Granola Goddess
I'll Have Sprouts With That

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
Well it's a ressurected thread, but I wasn't here when it started, so I'll answer now .

I was most upset by the death of Freddie Mercury.

John Peel was a sad surprise, too.

I was just about to post that too. Freddie Mercury. I was shopping in a department store when it came across the news. I felt like crying right in the middle of the store.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #171
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Nipped in the Bud

Barney Fife has finally gotten that long-awaited promotion. There'll be a new sheriff in town upon the streets of Glory...even if he'll only be carrying one golden bullet.

Don Knotts parlayed a shtick of high-strung near-franticism into a memorable and hysterical career spanning over 50 years. His best-known character, the bumbling deputy sheriff of Mayberry, North Carolina, made him into one of the most loved comedic characters of all time.

Don Knotts has died at the age of 81, but he's left me with a lot of chuckling memories - The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Incredible Mr. Limpet, The Reluctant Astronaut, and a small but memorable part as a psychiatrist in No Time for Sargeants etched his mark indelibly on the pop culture scene. Knotts even managed to make a rare late-in-life "comeback" following his appearance in Pleasantville as a tv repairman with a remote control that tossed two feuding siblings into a Leave It To Beaver-style, black and white sitcom world (curiously, Knotts' voice was overdubbed by a comedian for this film for some reason). That in turn led to many dinner theater appearances (especially here in Kansas City), and a whole new boom in fandom.

Gonna miss ya, Barn.

Last edited by Elspode; 02-25-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:07 PM   #172
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Looks like Barn finally got the corner room at the Y in the sky.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #173
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Rumor has it he was hung like a racehorse and kept quite a stable of fillys, well into his senior years.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 PM   #174
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

5 Emmys in 6 years

He won 5 Emmys for playing Barney Fife between 1961-67, which shows how innovative he was compared to everyone else at the time.

If Phil Silvers, Sid Caeser, and Milton Berle represented the Golden Age of TV Comedy, Don Knotts ushered in the Silver Age. Barney Fife wasn't a character for a single sketch, but a well thought out whole person.

Don Knotts created a character that people could laugh at and sympathize with at the same time. A guy who everyone could admire and hope that even if he hit his thumb with the hammer the past 99 times, on the 100th try he might get lucky. Barney Fife will remain one of the best comic characters ever brought to television. Don Knotts was a comic genius.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #175
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
What Richlevy said
I nominate Rich to deliver the eulogy. I heard that Andy Griffith was one of his final visitors. I took some measure of comfort from that. I think when we lose Andy, I'm not going to handle that very well. If I had to finish out my days on a deserted island with a complete collection of any single TV show, I'd pick the black and white episodes of the Andy Griffith Show. First Gilligan and now Barney. Dangit.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #176
Elspode

&!*@$!%*!!

And, in today's tragic twofer, Darren McGavin has passed at 83. Quirky, distinctive, and absolutely perfect as the father in A Christmas Story, which I had *just* finished labelling ten minutes before I saw the news item come across.

The Night Stalker has joined the denizens of the midnight streets.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #177
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
And, in today's tragic twofer, Darren McGavin has passed at 83. Quirky, distinctive, and absolutely perfect as the father in A Christmas Story, which I had *just* finished labelling ten minutes before I saw the news item come across.

The Night Stalker has joined the denizens of the midnight streets.
Shit. I loved him in 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker'. It was one of the best horror shows ever put on television. It seems that Mr. McGavin held the show together. Unfortunately, the show was ahead of it's time.

I don't remember many leading roles after that, but he was a great character actor who could deliver a pithy line at the right moment.

Quote:
Darren McGavin is often incorrectly considered to be, and listed in many official references guides, as the show's Executive Producer. In fact, he never held the position, although he unofficially assumed many of the duties. This put him at odds with Paul Playdon and then Cy Chermak, the official producers appointed by Universal.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #178
Elspode

Goddamn It...Now McCloud is Gone, Too

Been a bad couple of days for classic TV stars. Dennis Weaver has crossed through the veil at age 81 from complications of cancer.

Weaver broke in to the big time on Gunsmoke, and he also made a big splash as McCloud, the Western lawman in the big city. I, however, will always remember him as the terrorized Plymouth driver in Spielberg's first effort, "Duel", based on a classic Richard Matheson short story.

Marshall Dillon! Marshall Dillon! Chester is a' limpin' up to see Miss Kitty!

Last edited by Elspode; 02-27-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #179
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Don, Darren, and Dennis... Dead. Damn.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #180
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Damn, that sucks. I was pretty impressed by him. He was a champion of the earthships. He actually had his filmed while it was being built. I'm pretty sad about Don Knotts too.

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....