Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #4546
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
Our kids tend to have sweets for birthdays, which are given out at the end of the day and mustn't be eaten on the school premises, thus giving parents some nominal control.
Are birthday parties (at a house, or birthday event place) a standard thing over there, though? Like this mom who brought the big plate of doughnuts, she brought them to school on his actual birthday, a Friday, and then all those same kids came to the kid's birthday party on Saturday, and had another pile of doughnuts (this particular kid doesn't like cake.)

At some point it seems like spoiling them to me, but maybe I'm a Nazi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae
Pretty much most of the class would be able to tell you that L can't have nuts and M can't have Haribo because he's muslin but A can't have Haribo because he's vegetarian but they can both have Jelly Babies because they're made from something special.
"Muslin" cracked me up, it's exactly what they all say. Yes, the other kids are always right on top of things, way better than the adults. It was really touching at the first birthday party Minifob went to last year, at least three kids came up to me to make sure I'd brought a treat for him, because he was going to be allergic to the cake, did I know that?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #4547
Griff
still says videotape

We have a no outside food rule as well. Every year we tell everybody and every year somebody gets pissed.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4548
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I just saw in the news this morning that the jury a stone's throw away from Apple's world headquarters ruled in favor of Apple and against Samsung in the cell phone patent lawsuit. I expected this, because juries are generally too dumb to be deciding patent cases, but it's disappointing anyway.

Smart phones are going to be more expensive now, and there will be fewer advancements and choices. Apple has gone from a business model of innovating to one of litigating.

I work in a patent law firm, so this helps my job security, but as a consumer, it's bad.
Think they'll appeal?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #4549
glatt

no question. But it's a serious uphill fight now.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #4550
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's 2:48pm, and the Indian gentleman and his real estate agent are STILL standing at his pickup truck, chatting, looking at the outside of the house, having walked through my house in their allotted time slot which was 1pm to 2pm.

Is the agent not familiar with Glengarry Glen Ross? Ask Al Pacino, Indians never buy real estate, they just want to talk your head off.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #4551
Griff
still says videotape

I really hated the whole real estate sale process when we sold our log cabin way back when. We tried to sell it on our own first and we had a woman look and look but finally said no. Then we had it listed and the same woman bought it so we lost more $ than we would have... irritating.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #4552
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Coffee is for closers! Dammit!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #4553
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Are birthday parties (at a house, or birthday event place) a standard thing over there, though?
Yes & no.
The school catchment area is mostly affluent (meaning stay-at-home Mums, foreigbn holidays, a two car household, Dads who work "away" some of the time).

One girl in my class would never bring in home-baked treats as she barely sees either parent in the week - both work in London and commute. But she has a big birthday party every year, 40 children.

Others work but their child-minders hand over at 18.30 and they will do the chocolate thing and maybe have a party for 15 "best" friends.

Some don't work, volunteer at the school, know all the other parents and have a house party, or a themed party (riding, swimming, farm etc) for 5-10.

So it varies. Choc (sweets) seems to be the way of including all the childer without having to have a party for absolutely everyone they know. Especially as we have mixed age group classes.

NB - Tiger went to a party in the spring this year. He had a hotdog, because he has hotdogs at the school CineNights. It was the wrong type of hotdog. He was so distressed Mum took him home (oh you can bet she goes to every party). K, who lives in the house behind and is a good boy but can sometimes tease Tiger, had his arms around him saying, "It's okay. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it."
Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #4554
Clodfobble

Toying with my emotions... I read "It was the wrong type of hotdog" and had a flash of excitement that Tiger's parents had put him on a restricted diet. Oh well.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #4555
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's come up in conversation, but really not my place to push it.
I would to a member of family.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #4556
Clodfobble

Yeah, I know. Pushing most people won't help anyway--either they're interested enough to do the research and come to you, or they're not interested.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #4557
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't understand why most parents don't see the value in a restricted diet to be honest. Whether your child is ASD, ADD or any other D, or is just a run of the mill kid, most of them react negatively to some foods, particularly highly processed and preserved crap. I know Aden still carries on like a pork chop if he eats too much crap food. Mav not so much, and I just wish Max would eat. lol It's just not good for anyone to eat that stuff.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #4558
Clodfobble

Yeah, but at the same time, you get people who say that their kid eats a totally healthy, organic diet, with no processed anything, and therefore something specific like gluten couldn't possibly be an issue. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "But he only eats whole grain bread!" One man's food is another man's poison, and all that.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #4559
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Toying with my emotions... I read "It was the wrong type of hotdog" ...
How's that skull fracture coming along, kiddo?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #4560
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "But he only eats whole grain bread!" One man's food is another man's poison, and all that.
When I worked at the place that will remain nameless, I had a student who literally only ate whole grain bread from one particular bakery and showed every indication of severe gastric distress but parents and genius professor administration wouldn't consider a change because there was no scientific evidence.

Tags
mild cheddar