The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #2446
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Prince in stitches as soldier ditches queen's English

Yep, he said that to the Duke of Edinburgh.

Quote:
London (AFP) - Britain's Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, fell about laughing Monday when a swearing soldier gave him the giggles.

The 92-year-old former naval officer -- himself no stranger to plain-speaking -- got a taste of some colourful language while watching a football match at an army barracks.

The Duke of Edinburgh is used to hearing people use the queen's English during his visits but got both barrels of some military-grade swearing on his trip to Aldershot, southwest of London.

When one exhausted player was substituted off during the game between guardsmen and corporals of 1st Battalion the Grenadier Guards, he was so shattered he did not realise quite who he was talking to.

Doubled up in agony on the touchline, the soldier appeared unaware that Prince Philip was standing only five metres away as he went through a lexicon of swear words to describe his pain.

"Are you all right? asked the royal patriarch.

"No, I'm fucked," replied the soldier, still bent double with his head down.

Prince Philip -- who never fails to tell it like it is -- laughed and then could not stop chuckling away to himself as the substituted player finally glanced up and walked off with a sheepish look.

The duke has been colonel of the Grenadier Guards infantry regiment since 1975. He was briefed on the 1st battalion's recent activities and presented long service medals to three sergeants.

The prince is well known for undiplomatic off-hand remarks, which have included asking a student who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea: "You managed not to get eaten, then?" and telling a group of British students on a state visit to China: "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed."
-from AFP, via YahooNews

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #2447
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You should hear what he said to the House of Lords...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #2448
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

M25 cyclist in Surrey 'sent on motorway by phone app'.

It beggars belief that people can be so daft...
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM   #2449
glatt

On Sunday, when I was at exactly this spot and turned onto the on ramp onto this parkway. There was a cyclist at the bloody smudge mark I've drawn onto the Street View picture. I was stuck behind him for 100 meters or so until the barricades ended, and I could cross illegally over the double yellow line to get around him.

I'm a nice guy, so I didn't tailgate him or honk for those 30 seconds. He wasn't so much daft as arrogant. But a bit daft too.

Name:  cyclist.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  133.5 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #2450
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Arrogant is worse.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #2451
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Swastikas carved into a county council building have been branded "potentially offensive and upsetting" by someone demanding to know why they are there.

The carvings on Chelmsford's County Hall, built between 1928 and 1939, were made shortly before World War Two.

But a member of the public has lodged a Freedom of Information request asking why it "was still commissioned given the symbol's negative connotations".
Swastika building question put to Essex County Council

I was last in the US in 2004 and stopped off in Thermopolis, Wyoming, where this building caught my eye.

Of course, the Swastika was around long before Uncle Adolf and his band of scamps, but the design does tend to draw attention to itself, doesn't it?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #2452
glatt

Ruining a fairly cool design is pretty low on the list of crimes against humanity that the Nazis are guilty of committing, but it still annoys me. I like the visual look of a swastika. It's much like a greek key, which is also pretty cool looking.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #2453
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks, I wasn't aware that design had a name. Well, I figured people that used it called it something or other, but something more technical than Greek Key.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #2454
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Pinwheel. I have a really old quilt top with a pinwheel design. It's a dead ringer for a swastika.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #2455
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That sounds interesting, quilts are such a regional thing, in materials, designs, stiches and names.
I'm only familiar with this type being called windmill.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #2456
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
On Sunday, when I was at exactly this spot and turned onto the on ramp onto this parkway. There was a cyclist at the bloody smudge mark I've drawn onto the Street View picture. I was stuck behind him for 100 meters or so until the barricades ended, and I could cross illegally over the double yellow line to get around him.

I'm a nice guy, so I didn't tailgate him or honk for those 30 seconds. He wasn't so much daft as arrogant. But a bit daft too.
I don't understand, probably me being foreign.
I'm honestly not questioning your opinion or judgement, I just don't get it. Can you explain (in simple terms!) please.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #2457
glatt

There is a sign to the right saying that bicycles are forbidden on this stretch of road. The sign is there because bikes are common on the road I'm turning from, and in fact there is a large bike lane on that road. But this road is a limited access road that leads to the Beltway, a 12 lane limited access highway that circles the city.

Just before this road meets up with the Beltway, there is a turn off that leads to a high security government installation on the one side, and a small picnic area on the other side. I imagine the bike was going to the picnic area. But this road is dangerous for bikes because it's heavily traveled, is narrow with no shoulders, and the speed limit greater than bikes can achieve. So they are forbidden.

Oh, and the "barricades" are down the center of the road, marking the lanes to keep traffic away from one another. It's just on the curve, and when the road straightens out, the barricades stop.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #2458
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

my only excuse is that even though I know you drive on the other side of the road, I automatically still expect to see signs on the left. My bad.

I get it now, and thanks for the additional information.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #2459
glatt

Buckets of gold coins found in California back yard.
Name:  gold_treasure.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  140.2 KB

If you found $10 million in gold, would you go to the papers? I bet the finders wind up not getting to keep anything.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #2460
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Buried on the property they've owned for years? I'd be surprised if they were prevented from keeping it, or keeping the proceeds.