The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #31
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
In the end, I decided it was The Young Ones (or one of the Edmondson/ Mayall spinoffs) translated into a family sitcom. Which they were never meant to be. But then I guess the casual violence of The Young Ones, Filthy Rich & Catflap and Bottom is shocking in its own way.
I never saw the episode, but it very well might have been a "Punch & Judy" reference. We've sort of crystallized that one thing for all time as being representative of all British humor, and it's only in recent years started to fade as we get access to more and more of your media.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #32
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Punch and Judy shows fascinate me. I don't mean to watch, I mean as a cultural expression. It's an old voice. It speaks from a past Britain.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #33
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I wasn't allowed to watch the Young Ones, but the guy on the left was in Drop Dead Fred, which was one of my absolute favorite childhood movies.
Rik Mayall. I was in Grad school with his sister at the time he had the quad bike accident. The media reporting all the worried family gathered at the bedside was somewhat of an exaggeration.... and guess what! Apparently, IRL, he's...... a complete arsehole.....imagine that!

Did Bottom Ever make it over here? or the one about Alan B'Stard MP? ...the New Statesman
Old 01-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I know someone who knows someone who was at Manchester Uni with Rik Mayall. It sounds like a random connection, but the person I know, I know very well, and he knew the person who was at Uni with Rik very well too. And yes, from what I heard too, he was a complete monster.

Huge ego, no respect for other people - and especially their property - and just not very easy to be around. The way he treats property and people in Young Ones/ Bottom et al was pretty much developed in real life in his late teens, just with real people and real things. He might have been honing his comedy, but it real life it came across as cruel and hurtful. The person who knew him was really quite bitter about it.

I wonder what Edmondson's like in that case? I didn't hear any stories about him. Maybe Jennifer Saunders keeps him in line.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #35
DanaC

I've seen him interviewed in recent years and he seems tohave softened somewhat. He seems to realise he's a jerk. Described himself as one big ego.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #36
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Wow, that looked just like a double negative reality inversion.

Ahh, good memories.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #37
Wickedly_Tasteful
What do you want? A cookie?

I love brit sitcoms...fawlty towers, are you being served, the young ones, and Keeping up appearances are my favorites...i used to watch them at 3 in the morning with my grandmother(who recently passed on) when we couldnt sleep or were waiting for my grandfather to get home from work! Man i sure do miss her
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #38
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Oh, hi, Wickedly. Welcome to the Cellar, home of food fights, bomb shelters, and the occasional wallful of wines. With or without an H.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #39
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

On a related note, this is another show I use to love to watch. I have not started to collect them on DVD yet but I plan on it someday.

Rumpole of the Bailey creator John Mortimer dies

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...-mortimer-dies
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #40
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh shit, no.
He's on my Celebrity Death List purely because no-one on there dies!

Off to the Bummed Me Out Thread asap.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #41
DanaC

Ohhhh Rumpole! Rumpole of the Bailey is to me forever linked to the feeling of being off sick from school. It was on mid aft. I loved it. The music barely has to start and I am suddenly 12 again.

Tags
tv shows