The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Harley Question:

i'm puzzled. anyone here know how to work on Harleys? the following is what i posted to my fb page

so for the last two days i've been working on a friends '85 Harley 1100 sportster. have shifting issues. just ordered a shop manual for it but am curious....anyone out there know how/why it would take at least a half a turn on the shifter shaft to hit the next gear? doesn't matter which way you want to go...ie...up shift or down shift. something on the inside isn't right.

also, i should point out that you can either push or pull the shifter lever and it will stay in place most of the time. depends on where it is in the travel of that 1/2 turn of the shifter shaft during adjustment......

god i hate to say this.....TW? got any pointers?
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I assume you've gotten all the slop out of the linkage/s and the shift rod? Just a little slop in each of a few areas will add up to a lot of slop.

Would rotating the foot lever and/or the shift lever over a spline or two on their respective shafts make any difference? No broken/missing splines?

Is there the equivalent of automotive shifter bushings inside there that may have worn with age? If so, they're prolly not too hard to get at.

I don't know what the 'normal' travel is here, so, I'm not much hep. Plus, you're a little more mechanically inclined than me, I'm pretty sure...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
god i hate to say this.....TW? got any pointers?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

So...

Any luck?

Old 02-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ya know what? Nevermind. I don't even wanna know now.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

oh heck no, guy came and picked it up and took it back up north and had to split the cases to replace the shaft that changes the gear. sorry, been awhile since i logged in bro
Old 02-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good to hear from ya, Philthy!

Old 02-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yeah it's been a while. Lots has happened. will update after work....
Old 02-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Cool.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #10
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

lessee here....just to sum it up:

drove to Phoenix for my birthday / poker tournament at the talking stick resort

got engaged in september i think it was

changed my job status from inside contractor to outside contractor (meaning I work from home now)

had Case draw a portrait of a pic that Leigh and I had taken at the Marriot in the Buttes while in Phoenix that turned out AWESOME!

got married 12/31/14

breathed a sigh of relief when work extended my contract, I was stressing out on that one over Christmas

moved into my wife's house across town from where I used to live only to wait for the lease to be up so we can buy back down where I used to live lol! (she had signed a two year lease so we're kinda stuck

gave my 90 gallon aquarium to a buddy last weekend but kept the fish and coral along with the new light I bought a year ago that fits on top of my 125 gallon here at the house (it needs LOTS of work i.e. - more live rock and fish

and that's about it. one thing did happen a few weeks ago that would have shattered my life but all i'll say is things worked/are working out.

How you been bro?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Congratulations, Fred!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #12
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

WSS^^^
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:39 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Congrats on your wedding philthy! Nice to see you about
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Philthy! My good man! Congratulations on your marriage and everything.

It was also nice to hear Case is still around doing her art...I was just thinking about her the other day!

Stay in touch, will ya?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
got married 12/31/14
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathefuck?!

I'm gonna miss you.

Seriously, man congrats on the nuptials!!