The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-17-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

The Return of Opus

A lot of you probbaly know this already, but I haven't seen it here. And it is fitting, I suppose, that with my nickname I should make this posting. Berke Breathed will return to the comics pages once more!

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/opus_returns.html

Mark Morford of SF Gate said it well:

Quote:
The comics page is a place of reprieve, exhalation, absolution. It is a place of pause, release, maybe even the rare and precious open-mouthed, coffee‹thru-the-nose laughter. It is a tension diffuser and stress reliever and a blessed distraction from the never-ending assault on the spirit wrought by the soul-curdling headlines on A1. You want to get a real sense of the state of the union? Sample the mindset of the general readership? Read the comics page. Just don't read the "Family Circus" -- ever.

And when the comics page suffers, so suffers the readership. It is a never-ending baffler as to why major papers don't double their comics sections, offer unbounded and more pointed humor and insight and art and take more risks in this area. Have they not witnessed the insane popularity of anime and adult cartoons and comic book conventions? God knows the talent is out there, and it ain't anything like the numbing gags of "Hagar the Horrible."

But Opus is the Man. Or rather, he is the Penguin. He shall be the start. He shall herald a new day for the comics page. Let us believe it, even for a moment.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Now, if only we could get Bill Watterson to get Calvin and Hobbes back into print. Maybe that would move Gary Larson to resurrect The Far Side.

The world would be a much better place for all of that.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Any word on how many of the old characters will be returning? There is a movie coming as well.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:31 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read it was just Opus.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
revilo
Neophyte-in-training

The Return of Opus

I'm always suspicious of comebacks. Those in question have usually spent all the money they got from us the first time around and are back wanting more.
Like 70's rock bands!
revilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I hear you revilo, and I'd agree in most cases. But as far as I'm concerned, Breathed left Bloom County and Outland behind when he could easily have milked it for years more. If he feels the urge to come back, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt at least for a while.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:12 AM   #7
revilo
Neophyte-in-training

More Opus

Rumor has it that when Berkeley spoke at the National Cartoonists Society's
Reuben Awards in May he somehow managed to insult everyone there with his arrogant comments and insults directed at Trudeau and
Charles Schulz widow.
revilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
Elspode

Re: The Return of Opus

Quote:
Originally posted by revilo
I'm always suspicious of comebacks. Those in question have usually spent all the money they got from us the first time around and are back wanting more.
Like 70's rock bands!
Aerosmith and Kiss are playing KC Wednesday. I would have given them my money (a) if I'd had any after the orgy of spending associated with viewing downloaded media, and (b) if they hadn't been sold out. Now there's two 70's rock bands who have the public's number!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
Elspode

Re: More Opus

Quote:
Originally posted by revilo
Rumor has it that when Berkeley spoke at the National Cartoonists Society's
Reuben Awards in May he somehow managed to insult everyone there with his arrogant comments and insults directed at Trudeau and
Charles Schulz widow.
I can see how one might try to toss a few insults at GB Trudeau, but Charles Shultz' widow? Is nothing sacred?
Old 09-22-2003, 08:20 AM   #10
Tobiasly
hot

I seem to remember Breathed saying he retired Bloom County because he wanted it to be remembered as ending in its prime, instead of after it jumped the shark.

Then he ran that insipid Outland for a while, and now he's bringing back an Opus-only strip, which probably will also suck (although I hope not). So much for letting Bloom County die with dignity!
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Integrity does not buy milk, eggs, or pay the mortgage.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:46 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I actually liked Outland.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a mistake. Not the comeback per se, but using Opus. Those of us who loved Bloom County back in the 80s will never be able to look at Opus without seeing the shades of his comrades from the original strip. Still... we'll see what he does.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM   #13
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

And my final judgement is.....

Yawn.

There's some nice stuff in it. It's funny. It looks good.

The bottom line is, I'm discovering I simply cannot get into a strip that only comes out once a week.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

This is great. I'm glad to see that Breathed is returning.
Now, everyone, all at once:
"Run with the Devil!
Shout Satans might!
DeathTongue!
DeathTongue!
The Beast rises tonight!"

Just make sure no-one turns you into a zucchini.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #15
blue
Operations Operative

with my nickname

Abso-frickin-lutely amazing!!

I've seen your name here 1000 times and never made the connection 'til now. My wife constantly reminds me that I am "the least observant" person she knows.

As for the new cartoon, either my tastes have changed dramatically or the new Opus strip really sucks. I suspect the latter cause I don't think one "outgrows" Bloom County.