Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
5 years old vs 9 years old: different worlds.

No, but you sure tried, gawd bless ya! Well sort of. Canada is close enough.
I'm glad the little tyke will be ready for the alien armageddon, really.
He only lived in Canada for a couple of years. He isn't from there
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #32
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Also, I never said that you were somehow ruining your kid for life. tsk tsk, there be much protesting too much going on here.

Many children rise above, intuitively know better, and turn out lovely.

I just think it's an excuse to play the game you want to play while you're responsible for a five year old child. Which smacks of childish all by itself.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
infinite monkey

I know that Dana. That was my point. Canada is at least in North America, though it wouldn't have him.

But...surprise! Guess who IS in Canada? The kid!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #34
DanaC

Try not to say that in such triumph, Infi. Have a little sensitivity to his extremely recent loss eh.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #35
infinite monkey

The world could use more sensitivity. Less blood and guts.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #36
DanaC

Touche :p
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
infinite monkey

Strike that.

OK, I am sorry about that trac. I'm sure this has been very difficult for you.

I do have a problem with the kid and violent game thing but again, that's not to say you're ruining him.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Also, I never said that you were somehow ruining your kid for life. tsk tsk, there be much protesting too much going on here.

Many children rise above, intuitively know better, and turn out lovely.

I just think it's an excuse to play the game you want to play while you're responsible for a five year old child. Which smacks of childish all by itself.
yep.

don't get me wrong - i love doing creative stuff with him, i love playing ball in the park with him, i love finding every oppertunity to learn to read and write and basic calc', but i can't do it all day everyday without a break.

so i do sometimes do things that i enjoy with the kid. really how many kids follow their parents footsteps in likes and dislikes because of it? almost every body into sports got into it by watching matches with his dad. with both his parents being gamers, that kind of time with both me and her was usually playing games.

as long as its something you do on ocasions and isn't your main activitiy with the child, and as long as your considerate about what he feels regarding it and still use its oppertunities positively, i dont see harm in it.

edit: as for violent games, read my previous posts here. you really should think twice before you send out your kids to play violent video games with their play dates.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
infinite monkey

Fair enough.

Please to ignore my judging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceur View Post
yep.

don't get me wrong - i love doing creative stuff with him, i love playing ball in the park with him, i love finding every oppertunity to learn to read and write and basic calc', but i can't do it all day everyday without a break.

so i do sometimes do things that i enjoy with the kid. really how many kids follow their parents footsteps in likes and dislikes because of it? almost every body into sports got into it by watching matches with his dad. with both his parents being gamers, that kind of time with both me and her was usually playing games.

as long as its something you do on ocasions and isn't your main activitiy with the child, and as long as your considerate about what he feels regarding it and still use its oppertunities positively, i dont see harm in it.

edit: as for violent games, read my previous posts here. you really should think twice before you send out your kids to play violent video games with their play dates.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
it
Banned

honestly dana its ok -

when it comes to parening you wont' find a parent who isn't sensitive about it, we all want to think we know how to make our kids into the perfect snowflake of our ideals.

monster's and infinite monkey's ideas of how to achieve this are probably misguided, but they at least have one thing going towards having the right idea: just because its sensitive and uncomfortable doesn't make it into something you shouldn't talk about it, after all its sensitive because its important.

if she didn't bring it up, monster would have never had the oppertunity to understand that when examining it rationaly her way of parenting is a lot more likely to be harmful for her kids, and if she has the capacity to give feedback based on her assumptions at one point i am sure she has the capacity to get feedback about her assumptions and thus her own parenting.

i mean if she can do one but not the other and she hasn't looked into herself in order to find ways to fix that, is that the sort of role model she wants to be? i doubt it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #41
infinite monkey

Now now, trac. I can't speak for monster, but I think that you're being unfair...very unfair, and therefore putting the shoe on the other foot.

You don't know anything about monster's parenting skills, but I can tell you that those kids are completely and totally awesome. You think because monster wouldn't find a violent video game appropriate for a five year old that monster doesn't TALK to the kids, and monster SHELTERS the kids, and those kids will have zero coping skills? Because they don't have important discussions about flamethrowers? What. The. Fuck?

Poppycock, with the emphasis on cock.

You don't get to not be judged, then turn around and judge.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #42
it
Banned

nobody gets to not be judged :p
Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #43
DanaC

Ach damn. Battles over parenting styles are a fool's game. Too much riding on it.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #44
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

But its such good drama! Now I'm primed to go see Carnage when it comes out.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

traceur, once again your complete lack of research shows. And it's not becoming. And look what you did to a bullshit thread.

Last edited by monster; 01-11-2012 at 07:30 AM.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote