The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1/10/2006: Cyclops kitten born

This AP news wire image was suggested by three different IotD readers, thanks! (Don't assume I've already seen something or that it's already been submitted... you never know.)

Can't possibly be true, I thought when I saw it -- it looks entirely fake. But it's a wire service image, and so it's has gone through *some* degree of real journalistic review. It became Yahoo's most popular image within hours.

They say this kitten was born this way, with one centered eye and no nose. They say they named it "Cy". They say it lived a day and then died. They say it was one of a litter of two and that the other kitten was normal and lived. They say the picture was "provided by the owner".

Snopes has yet to weigh in.

I don't know, and so this is presented with the thought that somebody has put together a pretty strong hoax, but... what do you think?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
chrisinhouston
Professor

Let's hope the story doesn't end up like that of Polyphemus who was the son of Poseidon and the nymph Thoosa. He was the one-eyed giant Cyclops famous from the Odyssey, who imprisoned Odysseus and his men in a cave. Since Polyphemus was eating Odysseus' men, Odysseus was under some pressure to figure a way out, which he did. Odysseus tricked Polyphemus, poked out his eye, and got his remaining men out of the cave and into safety.

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Here's what he ended up like.
Attached Images

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
glatt

It sure looks fake to me, but I saw it in two different newspapers, so it must be true.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
VinDurzle
no excuse for being obtuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
Let's hope the story doesn't end up like that of Polyphemus who was the son of Poseidon and the nymph Thoosa. He was the one-eyed giant Cyclops famous from the Odyssey, who imprisoned Odysseus and his men in a cave. Since Polyphemus was eating Odysseus' men, Odysseus was under some pressure to figure a way out, which he did. Odysseus tricked Polyphemus, poked out his eye, and got his remaining men out of the cave and into safety.

Its not likely to because its a cat and its dead already, but well done for remembering your Greek history!
VinDurzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Aren't all kittens born with blue eyes?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
mrnoodle
bent

Normally. But then, they're normally born with two eyes, as well. I'm still waiting on snopes' take.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

A mixup at the sperm bank with Homer Simpsons 'genetic material'?

Quote:
Aren't all kittens born with blue eyes?
and closed, too?
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
mrnoodle
bent

Snopes says it's the real deal .
Old 01-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Blimey - I thought it was too soon to look on snopes to be honest. I'm finding it less creepy and more sad now that I know it's real....
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It *was* too early to check Snopes - they posted their item between 9 and 11 am Eastern!

I didn't know this could actually happen, but it does give some context to the Greek legends, doesn't it? Weird-ass mysterious creature with one eye is born somewhere, tales of it filter around, pretty soon it's worked into the mystical stories as well.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
busterb
NSABFD

Highjack. Are all white cats with blue eyes deaf? I know someone who had 2 and both
were deaf.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eyed+cats+deaf
Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

busterb-yes.

I feel so sorry for that thing. Kind of reminds me of Leela...poor cyclops orphan girl.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
busterb-yes.
Actually, busterb's link contained the answer...

Quote:
It is evident from those studies that blue eyed whites exhibit a higher incidence of deafness than do orange/green eyed whites or non-white cats! But not all blue eyed whites are deaf and here's why:-

There is a known link between white coat color, blue eyes and deafness - but since the coat and eye color can be caused by different genes it means that only some blue eyed whites are deaf. There is a gene/gene complex which causes white coat, blue eyes and deafness, but not all cats get their white coat and blue eyes from that particular gene, so not all white cats will be deaf.

If the cat is a Foreign/Oriental White, it carries the gene for 'Siamese Blue Eyes' which is not linked to deafness (the gene for Siamese Blue Eyes is linked to cross-eyes instead). Siamese blue eyes have a reflective tapetum, but this is depigmented because the Siamese colour is caused by albinism. This depigmentation gives the red-eye with flash cameras. Random matings can mean that this gene sometimes appears in non Oriental-looking cats which have colorpoint cats in their ancestry.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I didn't know this could actually happen, but it does give some context to the Greek legends, doesn't it? Weird-ass mysterious creature with one eye is born somewhere, tales of it filter around, pretty soon it's worked into the mystical stories as well.
I've also heard that the myth could have been started by elephant skulls, which have a forehead socket where the trunk attaches.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote