Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #76
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Re: Number 10:limits on lobbyist's access to the White House.

One of the most sweeping changes is not just limiting lobbyists' access to the White House...but limiting the influence of lobbyists throughout the Executive Branch by barring them from serving on advisory committees that provide guidance on drafting and/or reviewing regulations.

It received little notice at the time of its publication last summer, but K street has been in a frenzy in the last few months as it is put into place.

It is influencing regulations, as much as or more than influencing legislation, through which industry lobbyists can be most self-serving.
Well, lobbyists have been out full force since he was elected. They may not have a lot of acces to the WH, but they have major access to Congress, not to mention how much access Wall Street has to Geitner. Lobbyists pretty much WROTE the Senate health care 'reform' bill. And now, with the SC decision about corporations, we can expect things to get much, much worse. (because corporate America pretty much runs everything anyway)
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #77
sugarpop
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Facts are facts, no matter how much you want to prevent the transparent observation of them.

I am actually quite satisfied that the Demoncrats no longer hold a majority in the Senate. I would have been more satisfied if the winner was an Independent or Libertarian and not a Republickin.
What do you mean they no longer have a majority? They still have 59 or something.

My problem with dems is that they are so stupid they really messed up a good chance for major reform - of health care, of banking, of wall street... But noooo.

I hope like hell more independents and 3rd party candidates get elected. The time is ripe, and I am FED UP with republicans just saying NO to almost everything, and democrats caving in to corporate interests, especially in the Senate. I think almost ALL incumbets should be kicked to the curb.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
(because corporate America pretty much runs everything anyway)
Only when we let them. Not all corporate America is a problem. That would be like saying "Japanese cars verses American cars". An argument that completely ignores the problem. A subjective summary that will only decieve.

Many parts of corporate America are operating in America's interest. Did you see the long list of American companies that resigned or openly subverted their support for the Chamber of Commerce when that organization sided with the corrupt rather than for the long term objectives of America? The list included Nike, Coke, some computer manufacturers, etc.

A biggest problem in America is companies who believe their purpose is profits. Same reasoning justifies the mafia. Therefore GM cars have been so anti-American for 25 years. AIG so perverted the American economy that we had no choice but to bail them out. Goldman Sachs pays so many bonuses to finance people that could easily buy three Eisenhower, Carl Vincent, et al sized aircraft carriers. But then Goldman Sachs is not about what made America great - its products and innovations.

Goldman Sachs, et al is about leeching blood from the American public because finance people are more important than those who made America great. And so, for the first time in almost 100 years, America has seen no growth in ten years. Only some parts (too many) of the American economy work to subvert America for their own benefit.

If those employees are so good, then why are they wasting time and money on Wall Street? Why are they not out doing things that make America great? They forget to mention that when they claim they deserve seven, eight, nine, and ten digit incomes. This problem is not from all of corporate America.

And yes, by protecting so many corrupt companies, some bought and paid for politicians even hope that Obama fails. They just stopped saying it publically.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #79
Madman
has left the building.

This health care dilemma has become a big nothing more than a big fiasco. Face the facts... no matter what happens - no one is going to be a winner no matter what happens.

I lost faith when the Democrats decided to cut a break for unions. Why? Because, historically, unions have always supported the Democrats (and I'm union). However, I cannot be bribed.

There should be Healthcare for everyone. How can we do this without affecting profit or high salaries (which is what it all really boils down to)? We can't. It's impossible. Someone or some group is going to be affected.

I'm glad they tried though.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #80
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What if only the Uber-rich have to pay, madman? Wasn't that where this whole thing started?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #81
Madman
has left the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
What if only the Uber-rich have to pay, madman? Wasn't that where this whole thing started?
I remember hearing about that. Never considered my self a gullible person - especially with a background with the collection industry.

I'm not against Universal Health Care - I would love for every man, woman and child in this country to be covered by decent health care. I would also love it if our Democratic Leaders would be a little more open about what they are doing.

I lost a lot of faith in Obama when he address the nation a few months ago and he side-stepped his own transitional opening... In his speech he stated... "How are we going to pay for this?" Referring to the Health Care Plan. He never answered his own transition. I listened ever so intently for that answer. It was never answered.

The answer, of course, is obvious. Everyone is going to pay for it. What do the do in England? I believe everyone is taxed something like 12% of their income. Not sure about Canada (I should ask a couple of my relatives who live there).

Honestly, I'm so tired of the government fucking with our taxes - it just makes me sick anymore. I'm damn near ready to move to Mexico.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #82
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Honestly, I'm so tired of the government fucking with our taxes - it just makes me sick anymore. I'm damn near ready to move to Mexico.
Just make sure you bring some guns with you if you go south
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #83
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Look, the goddamm demoncrats have proven that they are not one bit different from the republickans. All this bullshit that Redux and his party line propagandists have been feeding you have come to a head. The Dems lost big in Mass and November will be the real watershed. People are tired of the lies and promises that the Dems have been selling as snake oil to the American public. There are no jobs and the promises made to make jobs is more of the lies sold to you as a "stimulus package' and "millions of shovel ready jobs". It was all a lie to pass pork barrel spending for special interests and payback to those whores who supported the spending. As I have stated repeatedly, they are all about spend, spend, spend, and the taxes are yet to come. Keep your eye on Nov. Redux and others have marginalized Tea Party members as a tiny minority of the electorate and they were fucked by that attitude in Mass and they will be double fucked in Nov 10.

IMHO this country will be inept until we have a viable third party and neither of them have a D or R in front of their name.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #84
lookout123
changed his status to single

That sounds good merc, but you've got one major flaw in your thinking. The letter in front of the name doesn't matter a damn bit so long as they are still career/professional politicians.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #85
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
That sounds good merc, but you've got one major flaw in your thinking.
Just one?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #86
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The stimulus package worked. Be sure to check the multimedia link on the article.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not so fast
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #88
Happy Monkey

Her point is that other things the government did helped, too? I don't see the "not so fast" connection.

Her main complaint seems to be that the "multiplier" for money spent compared to GDP growth is too high. But the NYT article brings up the factor of money promised. When the states anticipated getting stimulus money, they began spending their money again. As the stimulus money is still being allocated, that effect will continue. So the multiplier should take into account some portion of the amount allocated, not just the amount spent.

Also, yes, there were other economic efforts going on at the same time.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 02-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #89
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

And how many jobs have actually been created? This Congress is about to get a wake up call....
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #90
Happy Monkey

Quote:
They all estimate that the bill has added 1.6 million to 1.8 million jobs so far and that its ultimate impact will be roughly 2.5 million jobs.
|_______________| [pics]