The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Sick Dreams

Or, more correctly, Recurring Dreams you have while sick.

Usually, when I get sick, I have one of two dreams:

One is: I'm sitting at a sidewalk cafe (like in Paris) and a gigantic tire, or wheel, runs me over. Not a car, just a great big freaking tire. Flattens me.

The other is that I'll be at a dam, and there is a huge spillway. I'm walking on the spillway, and I miss my footing and start sliding down the spillway into the water, and gt sucked into huge turbine fans that chop me into itty bitty pieces.

I've had these dreams since childhood, and only when I'm sick. I've been sick now since Sunday night, and for the last 3 nights, I haven't been able to really sleep because every time I do, I just keep dreaming of email viruses over and over again. They just keep replicating, and no one can figure out where they are coming from, and even if they unplug their computer, they are still infected. My eyes pop open and I'm awake, feverish, and shivering all at the same time.

At this point I'm starting to think I'm sleep deprived. It's difficult to concentrate, and I get dizzy if I stand up too quickly. I'm trying really hard to drink water, since I've had maybe a quart of liquid total since Sunday.

But! The point of my post is this: how many of you have dreams when you are sick that are recurring? Can you remember them after? Do you know you're dreaming when you're "in" them?

I don't want to think I'm crazy. And right now I'm wondering.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm starting to wonder if i'm the only one in the cellar that is relatively chemical free, or if i'm just really really boring.

OC, i never get dreams like that. the only dreams i remember are the next day involve numbers and me working unsolveable problems... go figure, i'm a financial advisor.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm completely chemical free and really boring. Just when I'm sick my mind tweaks.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I get horriffic dreams when I'm sick with a high fever. I can't even begin to describe them so yeah, I can relate.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i'm starting to wonder if i'm the only one in the cellar that is relatively chemical free, or if i'm just really really boring.

OC, i never get dreams like that. the only dreams i remember are the next day involve numbers and me working unsolveable problems... go figure, i'm a financial advisor.
Don't drink, don't smoke, what do yah do?

I don't self medicate either. I guess that makes us both boring.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
lookout123

i do enjoy an occasional beverage, but my heavy drinking days are over. other than coffee and OTC drugs, i'm chemical free... well except for the normal pesticides and poisons that we get on a daily basis...

well, and that horrendous meth habit
Old 12-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
garnet

Quote:
or if i'm just really really boring.
Dude, you don't really want us to answer that, do ya? You left to door WIDE open on that one!
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

the only dreams i remember are the next day involve numbers and me working unsolveable problems... go figure, i'm a financial advisor.

My husband used to say the same thing, lookout. Mostly he never remembered them at all, and if he did they had to do with work. (He's a network administrator.) But after starting to date me, I would often tell him about my dreams first thing in the morning, and he discovered that he DID remember his, he just had to think about it shortly after waking up. Now he remembers all of them, and they're just as varied and strange as everyone else's.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
lookout123

*thread hijack in process*

earlier this year i didn't sleep for 3 nights because every time i fell asleep i dreamed about a conversion equation i use frequently, but i couldn't get it to work and in my dream this was EXTREMELY stressful, to the point that i woke up shaking and couldn't sleep. only problem was that every time i woke up i realized that the items i was trying to convert were completely unrelated, so it was an unsolveable problem. but as soon as i went to sleep i went right back into the dream.

my wife thought i was losing my mind quite literally, so on the 3rd day i went and booked a cruise and we left town. i haven't had the dream since.

Quote:
Cooked mushrooms are GROSS
sauteed mushrooms over a filet are exquisite. silly v'tarian
Old 12-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
garnet

Quote:
sauteed mushrooms over a filet are exquisite. silly v'tarian
No, they're still nasty, slimy and gross, just like big fat SLUGS. How come so many restaurants feel the need to pollute perfectly good food with these things? Yuck.

OK, that's my rant for the day, back to the subject at hand:

I have unusually weird dreams when I'm sick, too, although I haven't been sick for a while so I can't remember any of the details. Oddly enough, I have many recurring dreams about office equipment not working, or not being able to find files and such. You know, the ones where you're running around the office feverishly looking for something that you can't find? And you wake up totally exhausted. I also have a recurring dream that I never really graduated from college and everyone is going to find out. My degree is in English; it's not like that degree has been all that important in life....
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:55 PM   #11
glatt

I participated in a dream study two weeks ago. I had to sign a consent form, and state whether I was right handed or left handed. Then, for three days, upon awakening, I had to answer one question. "Do you remember your dream(s) from last night." I remembered my dreams much more those three nights than I usually do. I answered "yes" twice, and "no" once.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Common Dreams & Recurring Dreams

Look on the right hand side under "More Dream Meanings".

http://www.dreamsleep.net/dream_mean...an_dreams.html

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM   #13
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I was told once that the "tire dream" was about feeling run down.

Get it? Run down?

They were serious.

In the same vein, I think the email virus dream I keep having this time is because the doctor told me I have a virus, and they can't do anything but treat the symptoms and let my body fight it off.

I still wonder what the dam dream means tho.

~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #14
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

OC...

This is freaky, because I actually have a very similar dream to your tire dream....

but instead of a French Bistro/Cafe kinda place, mine is an outdoor coffee shop next to a mountain..and instead of a tire, it's a runaway log.

I actually have three.....
The log dream, one where it's raining tea cups (if I remember it correctly, it looks sort of like the old 'flying toast' screen saver), and one where the street lights are actually aliens...(a la War of the Worlds).

And no, i've never tried any hallucenogenic drug

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #15
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Maybe you're feeling "logged down", Dagney

~Franklin D. Roosevelt