The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Do you wrap?

One day last week between work and picking the kids up at the babysitter, I stopped to buy a bunch of deli meats, deli meats and cheeses, and sandwich rolls to avoid making dinner. I bought too much, and we had lots left. The next day at work I had an epiphany. Knowing the kids would probably gripe at sandwiches two nights in a row, I picked up some burrito-size flour tortillas and some other goodies. When we got home I put a slice of roasted chicken breast, one of smoked turkey breast, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, a sprinkle of real bacon bits, and a drizzle of ranch dressing in the middle of each tortilla, rolled it up burrito-style, and cut them in half. Chicken-turkey-bacon-ranch wraps! It was truly more than the sum of its parts. Yummy!!

Last night was our weekly poker game with my sister and her husband. We made huge plates of nachos, and later wraps. They were just as impressed as I was. I have decided to make everything into wraps! Today I have the inlaws coming over for cabbage rolls, so I guess that's wrap-y enough. I'm also serving mashed potatoes, sauteed zuchini and onions, yeast rolls, and banana pudding. Wonder if they'd mind if I rolled it all up into a tortilla?

Anyway, do you have any wrap recipes or combinations I haven't thought of? Please share!
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Leftover turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce.

Yes, really.

I've also put a variety of hot foods into wraps ... teriyaki sauce chicken and broccoli is quite tasty ... as is any variant on sloppy joes ... ground chicken or turkey, some kind of sauce (other than ketchup), some jalapenos to make up for the lack of flavor in ground poultry products and you're good to go!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
busterb
NSABFD

Best use for the tortilla I've ever found is to use them in chicking & dumplings. When was a kid, my mom rolled them out & cut. When I told her to try it. Later she told me she cried. 60 years wasted rolling the damn things.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

That would make the thinner, noodle-type dumplings, right? Believe it or not, I've never had that kind. My granny made the fat, fluffy ones (spoonfuls of biscuit dough), and that's how I learned to make it. I'd like to try the other kind before I set out making them.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #5
busterb
NSABFD

Well the thin ones cook faster. I never liked spoon dropped ones. My rich uncle Sam & working offshore, where they were as big as your fist, not done. YUK Think they just put biscuits in water.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

Mmmmm... Breakfast burrito.
Eggs, breakfast meat (ham, bacon, sausage, chorizo, whatever), salsa, hashbrowns, tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, onion... keep going till you run out of ingredients in the fridge that look good.

Or last night's leftover chinese takeout (ditch the rice!), in a wrap. Add a little shredded cabbage for crunch, if desired. Maybe some toasted sesame seeds.

Coleslaw and shredded leftover chicken or pork tossed with bbq sauce. Wrap.

Spread peanut butter on a wrap, sprinkle with Sate Seasoning, dash of tabasco, maybe some minced onion? Run under the broiler till PB is melted. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it! (The first time Badger saw me eat this combo (on an onion bagel) he said, "Woah, that's weird! Can I have some?" That's when I decided I'd keep him.)

- Pie
Old 09-12-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
busterb
NSABFD

Humm another Penzey fan. But they are not cheap. Breakfast burrito's are great. Here its biscuits & what ever. I learned to eat the burritos while working in CA.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #8
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

hummous, red and green peppers, a bit of lettuce, tomato, squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper... wrap and enjoy.

I love hummous and pita bread, but this is sometimes a little easier to handle and bring to lunch.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

What's Penzey?

I love hummus! I eat it at least once or twice a week. I usually just have pita chips, crackers or vegetable sticks with it. Once I'm out of this stupid training class (can you believe 10 am to 4 pm with no lunch break? Scandalous!) and at my own desk I'll be bringing lots of these goodies with me to work.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
What's Penzey?
Penzey's Spices, http://www.penzeys.com
They have much higher quality herbs, spices and blends than you can find at the mega-mart, and the prices (in bulk) are better. They also have a much deeper collection -- I challange you to find zatar, or galangal, or ajwain at ShopRite. I've been a loyal customer for 6 years, and visit the Penzey's store in Columbus, OH every time we wind up in town. (They also have stores in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Connecticut, Texas, Missouri, Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh), Kansas and Florida.)
One of these days, I will get around to taking a picture of my spice drawer and post it here.
- Pie
Old 09-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Of course I rap.

I like a lettuce, tomato, and munster on rye,
All this cheese gonna make me cry!
Gorgonzola, Provolone,
Don't even get me started on this microphone.

Beastie Boys lyrics always make me hungry.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Mmmmm... Breakfast burrito.
Thats pretty much how I start every day, pan fried corn tortillas, fresh eggs from the free range chickies, whatever meat is left over, Franks or a chipotle hot sauce, monteray jack or some lesser cheese mmmm...