The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
marichiko

So, OK, clobber me NOW!

Right. I know that none of you have met me in real life, but I could really use some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback.

Here's the deal:

The Housing Authority in Montezuma County has really come down hard on my ass. I've had difficulty rounding up the $650.00 damage deposit they require on an income of only $671.00/month. I've given them $200.00 toward that deposit and I've been able to secure a guarantee of another $500.00 from a local housing group. But the H.A. has STILL given me notice to leave my apartment by July 1st. Starr barked often when we first moved here and I missed my first appointment with the advocacy group due to me getting the days confused. Still, I ultimately made my interview and was assured of help, and Starr is no longer a problem. The H.A. still wants me out. What gives? (Please don't tell me its all because I lie. I'll accept any feedback but that one).
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Probably just business and nothing personal. Put yourself in their shoes, rent the movie "pacific heights", and talk to landlords who have had horror stories.

Once bitten, twice shy. The same ethic behind banks prefering to lend money to people who don't need to borrow it.

Once a tenant is in, in most states, it is hell to get them out and very costly. You need to be unimpeachable to get landlords to like you. That means cross your Ts and dot your Is. Missed or late appts count against you regardless of what the reason. (Unless, well, nevermind)

It really is nothing personal, Just business.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

that's only 6 days away. is it too late to give them the deposit? out by the 1st? or deposit by the 1st?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I take it you've been there in a trial period up to now? If so, can you ask for an extension of the trial period so you can prove you are the right tenant for them?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
marichiko

The HA sent me a sequence of conflicting notices. They acted at first like if I'd get the money to them by the first, they'd let me stay. Then they went back on that assurance and told me I had to be out by Thursday, June, 22nd - a date which did not exist. I was actually in the hospital in the ICU unit at the time because I had developed an irregular heartbeat, so I was confined to the hospital bed completely for two days with a millon annoying little monitors while the doctor tried to figure out what was going on. Eventually my heart rhythem returned to normal. WTF?

When I got out of the hospital, the HA realized the error on the dates and also must have seen that my rent is all paid up through June, so they sent me ANOTHER notice saying I had to be out by the first. They previously had left me a notice to be prepared for a move in inspection by a certain date. I cleaned furiously and the inspection day came and went with no one ever coming over to inspect.

I am very perplexed about the whole thing, and I still don't feel good - terribly exhausted. I know that I am at fault for not coming up with the damage deposit sooner, but I CAN come up with it by the first. I get really confused about stuff that's completely obvious to others (like old car flares ), so I'm asking for other folk's feedback on this situation. Thanks to everyone who has replied.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

This is very confusing. I suggest finding an advocate from disability services to speak on your behalf. I am saying that assumming you don't have relatives around to speak for you.

Eliminate the middleman is what I do BUT use it if you have to.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm with SS...contact your local disability advocacy organization and get them on the case.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
rkzenrage

Get your jack back and buy.... this kind of crap ain't worth it. Smaller but owned is worth the piece of mind.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Geez. I'd be afraid to ask for clarification since it sounds like they make things up as they go along. Hate to catch them on a bad day. I think what skysidhe suggested sounds like the best approach.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Smaller but owned is worth the piece of mind.
AAAALLLL I WAAANT IS TOOO HAAAVE MY PEAAACEEEE OF MIIIIIIIIII-IIIIIINDDDDDD! [/boston]
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

God is punishing you for trying to get the good Christian Man into bed.

Why did you choose move from a stable to unstable housing situation? This was, per you, your ticket out, your way back to the country, your ideal living situation, etc. etc.

There is so a "Thursday, June 22." I have one right here on my calendar. What do you mean by that?

And when you say that "Starr is no longer a problem" do you mean "taken to the shelter" or "taken out back and shot?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
Geez. I'd be afraid to ask for clarification since it sounds like they make things up as they go along. Hate to catch them on a bad day. I think what skysidhe suggested sounds like the best approach.

Thank you

hehe I read your post and though. " I suggested something"?

lol I totally forgot! silly me.

New day...and all.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
There is so a "Thursday, June 22." I have one right here on my calendar. What do you mean by that?
Lemme guess...since she was in the CCU with the mystery arrythmia that day, the day simply did not exist (at least in terms of meeting responsibilities).

Either that or it was another of those "I missed my first appointment with the advocacy group due to me getting the days confused" deals.

Accepting only feedback you don't like doesn't tend to get you very balanced feedback. :-) What's all this about lieing?

Last edited by MaggieL; 06-27-2006 at 01:37 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I suspect she's accidentally using a 2005 calendar.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
God is punishing you for trying to get the good Christian Man into bed.

Why did you choose move from a stable to unstable housing situation? This was, per you, your ticket out, your way back to the country, your ideal living situation, etc. etc.

And when you say that "Starr is no longer a problem" do you mean "taken to the shelter" or "taken out back and shot?"
Well, maybe God is, although "the good Christian man" is the one who made all the moves, but women are always Jezebels, aren't they?

Actually, my former living situation was highly unstable because I simply couldn't afford the rent. I used up all my back pay, the housing vouchers went to Katrina victims who got jumped ahead in the line, and then there's the ax murderer who stole a considerable portion of my money that should have been on reserve. The rent here is $191.00/month, INCLUDING utilities. Back in the Springs, I was paying $700/month rent plus utilities on an income of $671.00/month. That fairy tale couldn't help but end.

Oh, and Starr has a shiny new "no-bark" collar which has done wonders for the peace and quiet around here.

As far as the dates, there goes my short term memory again. They matched up the wrong date with the day. I got it right, but THEY didn't. The paper they sent me said Monday, June 22. I guess if the HA can get the wrong date, I can get the wrong one right.

Last edited by marichiko; 06-29-2006 at 05:43 PM.