The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #76
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
She may well think that her neighborhood is typical of the US, but it isn't.
My neighborhood is exactly representative of itself.. Earlier you suggested that I was a comfortable suburbanite holding forth on an issue that I didn't understand and that didn't affect me. Now that misconception has been debunked.

No one community can be represenatiative of the US; it's too big a place. I've certainly seen enough of it to know that, even though there are many here much more widely travelled than I. But when someone tries to impeach my opinion about illegal immigration because "you live too far from Mexico", they are not only barking up the wrong tree, they are several forrests down the pike from the right tree.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #77
rkzenrage

Quote:
Another distortion from MaggieL.

I've asked a few people here to back up statements that they have made.For some reason, that makes me the Great Foreign Liberal Satan in MaggieL's eyes.Perhaps because she is a racist bitch, perhaps because she is something else.I really don't care. Nowhere in any of the threads have I argued that illegal immigration is not an issue, nor have I argued that it shouldn't be enforced. What I have done is to try and rationalise a lot of the astoundingly shallow statements made by people like MaggieL, so that I may understand the 'problem' fully and decide on my private opinion.Unfortunately, this is unacceptable to MaggieL, her opinion must be accepted as gospel because she lives there and I don't. Frankly, MaggieL's little corner of the US is of little interest to me as a absolute microcosm of the situuation.She may well think that her neighborhood is typical of the US, but it isn't.
You two need to get a room.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #78
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
You two need to get a room.
He's not my type. :-)

He's worked very hard to find the exact bit of name-calling and misogyny that will enrage me enough to dissolve the discussion into an exchange of personal attacks, but it just hasn't worked.

For someone who's "trying to decide on his private opinon", he's certainly already blasted quite a bit of opinion about publically.

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-12-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #79
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
But when someone tries to impeach my opinion about illegal immigration because "you live too far from Mexico", they are not only barking up the wrong tree, they are several forrests down the pike from the right tree.

Thank you. I live in New Zealand, which you seem to think is far enough away to not understand the issues.Not only has your entire argument been pissing against the wrong tree, you are several forrests from the wrong tree, and most of the urine appears to have blown back against yourself.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #80
billybob

Quote:
He's not my type. :-)

He's worked very hard to find the exact bit of name-calling and misogyny that will enrage me enough to dissolve the discussion into an exchange of personal attacks, but it just hasn't worked.
No it hasn't has it? The kitchen is out back, by the way.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #81
Ibby
erika

It was funny in a kinda sad way at first, billybob, now it's just getting older than Jordon got on the Lexington School thread.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #82
MaggieL

Quote:
Thank you. I live in New Zealand, which you seem to think is far enough away to not understand the issues...
It's clearly *possible* to understand an issue at a distance...which undermines your earlier attempt to impeach my opinion because I live in Pennsylvania rather than someplace close to the Mexican border.

I had attributed your failure to know that illegal immigration is a serious issue here (rather than merely an excuse for me inject my redneck racism into the policy arena) to being unaware of how things are here in the piedmont and tidewater areas of the Mid-Atlantic states, as opposed to being a wilful and deliberate red herring.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so charitable.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #83
MaggieL

Quote:
The kitchen is out back, by the way.
Maybe it is in your household. It's a central focus of ours, since I installed the WiFi router up in my lab and the S-band video link to the living room. I'd never have managed to be successful in my profession if I was prone to letting simple-minded sexist attacks get under my skin.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #84
billybob

Quote:
It's clearly *possible* to understand an issue at a distance...
But not for a foreigner?

And you believe you are charitable?

You are a racist.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #85
billybob

Quote:
It's clearly *possible* to understand an issue at a distance...
But not for a foreigner?

And you believe you are charitable?

You are a racist.

And my sock puppet is prettier than yours.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #86
MaggieL

Quote:
But not for a foreigner?
No, it's possible. You just aren't doing it.
Quote:
And my sock puppet is prettier than yours.
That's because I don't have one. But you're busted.
I'm all done with this issue; there's been no real movement for days, and you just blew whatever last shred of cred you might have had.

Have a nice day.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #87
billybob

So Ibram is not your sock puppet? For your information, I don't have a sock puppet either. If you disagree with any of the premises put forward by charlene, feel free to address her on the subject.She'd eat you.Frankly, her assertions about this board are dead on. I've never seen a forum so openly hostile to counter-opinion, nor have I seen a forum that opens a 'welcome' thread and allows it to be whored out by the regulars.

Now, as you are ready to run away without answering any questions, I'll bid you farewell on this issue.The kitchen may be the focal point in your house, but the menial tasks still await you. By the way, are you a legal resident of the US? You never did say.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #88
Ibby
erika

I'm NOBODY's fuckin' puppet. If you would spend more time looking around this forum that you feel so free to judge, you'd know that.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #89
billybob

No offence intended, Ibram. perhaps if MaggieL hadn't been so quick to dismiss charlene as a 'sock puppet', it would not have been neccesary to demostrate the stupidity of her actions by picking another individual at random and assigning them the same title.

Enjoy the new version of the cellar, translated for my friends in America.

Last edited by billybob; 05-13-2006 at 12:52 AM.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #90
Shocker
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
How does racism get into the illegal alien issue? What kind of idiot brings race into it?
I find it interesting that the person calling everyone a racist on this is the same one who has made it all about race. From what I've read, it seems that for the most part, everyone has kept it about immigration, and then when someone didn't agree, they started calling people racist and such. People are entitled to their own opinions, and I also think that judging by a few posts on an internet forum, it would be really difficult to say someone is a racist unless they actually say they are or they make comments about racial hate and such.

Thats just an observation though, take it how you will. I'm sure this makes me a racist though, somehow?