The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Best/Worst Short-Term Job

Between junior high and 35-years-old, I had about a dozen or so jobs of varying degrees of satisfaction. Now that I have fallen into a steady gig, It's amusing to look back at all those crazy jobs. Describe your best/worst job from your early working years (or perhaps best/worst is what you do now). I'll start with my best:

Right after I completed my master's in history and got divorced, I was broke, in debt, and without a job. Rent was due. I had no time to wait for my perfect history job, so I took a job as a security guard at the Chicago Botanic Garden. I had my own golf cart, two-way radio, and a cadre of other guards to goof around with. Boy, did we take advantage! The place was huge, with paths and roads everywhere. Talk about "tooling around." We even went off-road and made a cool little course in the woods. Our boss was a mean fat-ass, but he just stayed in his office and barked orders over the radio, so we had a lot of freedom. When we weren't racing around on our carts we went on "foot patrol." On foot patrol all you did was walk around the garden and tell people "You can't picnic there" or tell the kids "Don't play in the fountain." It was a joke and I loved it! I got some reflector shades and an earphone for my radio and looked like a total tool, but the joke was on everybody else because I knew I looked that way. I even had a brief romance with a German intern who worked in the greenhouses. This was crucial because I had just gone through my divorce. We could pick up extra money by working the Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties that took place after hours. Damn, that was a great job, but the kind of job you know can't last forever, and would probably not be as memorable if it did.

Yep, that's me, Pangloss62 back in 1997
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My pizza delivery job. You'll have to decide for yourself if it was the best or worst, because, as it turns out, I'm kind of neutral overall.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I worked for a temp agency on and off for several years in college. One of my gigs was at a market research company--opinion poll telemarketers, basically. A whole bunch of extra temps had been brought in just to fill this extremely difficult contract: Sunny Delight wanted a focus group of 20 people, who would come to some local area and each be paid $50 for their time. The difficulty was in the qualifications for the focus group. They insisted that each member

1.) Be female, and married.
2.) Have at least 2, and no more than 4, children between the ages of 3 and 12, and no additional children outside that range.
3.) Purchase at least 1 bottle of Sunny Delight every week.
4.) Purchase said bottles only at a Super Wal-Mart (regular Wal-Marts didn't count.)
5.) Score at least 80% on the "outspokenness" section, like "When you're in a social group, do you usually speak your mind or just go with the flow?"

There were more qualifications, but those were the big ones that knocked out most people (out of the small oercentage who were even willing to take the time at all to find out if they qualified for the focus group). In addition, they wanted 5 of these people to be willing to participate in a "shop-along," where someone from Sunny Delight would walk behind them on one of their typical shopping trips with a videocamera, so they could see exactly how these people purchased their Sunny Delight.

There were about 30 of us, cold-calling people from 5:00 to 9:00 in the evenings. Eventually, we did get them all. I personally pulled in 5 people, way more than anyone else, because by day three I started just prompting people for the correct answers.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Best: working for Lucent Technologies, riding high* on the telecom wave
Worst: working for a soul-sucking defense contractor (current)

* metaphorically speaking

Most different:
I washed feet. Old, stinky feet. Feet with problems.

When I was 14, I worked for the summer as a podiatrist's assistant. It was actually a pretty okay job; I have no particular fear of feet. I am mostly amused by the disgusted reactions I got from other people when the topic of that job came up.

Most of the older people that came to see the doc were pretty cool & friendly (although there were a few cases that should have been sent to Wolf!) The other women who worked there were a friendly, low-key group. We even got free coffee from the bakery next door.

Last edited by Pie; 06-29-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Best: Working at a Webelos summer camp.
Worst: Working at a Boy Scout leadership training camp.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
marichiko

Best: Working for AAA doing trip ticks and answering questions from tourists from Kansas one summer. It was a riot! One AAA member wanted a trip tick for the arctic circle. Errr, right - go north as far as possible, then get out and walk.

Worst: Delivering phone books in December. Miserable pay under miserable conditions and your car is somehow never quite the same.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

yeah, I done the 'phone book thingie..... only our round was inner-city Birmingham (the LadyWood estate, to be specific...) where you need two to watch the car and an armed guard to deliver the phone books....

But I thiink my worst job was cleaning the 'swarf' off the machines in a metal-cutting factory in the Black Country.... my hands were red-raw and lacerated to the bone for a measly £50 a week (that was in the early 70's)
Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Worst: Dishwasher at a restaurant in Glacier national park. Stayed all of three hours.

Best: That's a tough call. Probably when I ran my own photo studio. I was always psyched to go to work.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
glatt

Worst: Working in a college bookstore, stocking shelves and doing inventory and crap like that. Ocasionally dealing with spoiled rich college kids.

Best: Working at the local mom and pop convenience store. I had gone there all the time as a kid, and now I was single handedly running the place for 8 hours at a time. I had regulars who would come in. We rented out movies that I would watch while waiting for customers. I'd make really good sandwiches to order. It was cool. Only time I didn't like it was when the boss went on vacation for a week, and I ran the place for 13 hours a day. I'd have to lock up just to go take a leak. That was a hard week.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Worst: Daycare- la Petit Academy un-potty trained toddler room. 15:1 minimum wage.

Best: Art conservation lab tech. matching and reweaving vegitable dyed wool on ancient Peruvian textile.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #11
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

best: just had it. exg/f got me fired. again. by calling HR. awesome engineering company with awesome pay to boot. they did say that i can call them back in a month or so and get my job back. just to make sure she's not in the picture.

worst: night manager at a video store. got held up. that sucked.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Worst: Third shift manufacturing gig I got one summer. We were wrapping and taping transformers. An entire summer of my life *poof* gone. I never learned to sleep on that schedule. I even hit a deer coming home from that job and ended up walking the rest of the way.

Best: Bike shop in college. Learned some wrenching, hung out with mtn bikers, got my parts cheap, made some long term buds.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have worked many jobs in addition to my full time one, and all of them have had their good points -
- working with friends & having salad bar fights at Deep Pan when I was at school
- working with student nurses as a barmaid & getting drunk at lock-ins
- eating last night's petit fours at 06.30 in a five star hotel on the breakfast shift
- serving samples of fruit to pensioners in a supermarket ("Would you like a date, would you like to try a date?")

The worst has to be the 4 days I spent working in a factory, trying to get by til I found the job I wanted. I couldn't handle the production line work - it panicked me and I lost all hand/ eye coordination.

They then tried me in the "flour room" mixing tortillas and it got into my contact lenses and made me sneeze.

I then tried packing nachos and broke more than I packed.

So I just didn't turn up for work one morning & let them keep the previous days wages. Very ashamed of myself.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Best part-time job: Working in the cafeteria at college. I loved the work and my coworkers. All walks of life, from the rich kid whose father insisted he made his own money in school, to the "townies", to kids like me, who needed the money. We had a blast. I ended up working in bar/restaurants or Country Clubs as a second job until just recently. Great experiences.

Worst: Trying to get people to buy pictures of their ugly families at Olan Mills. I am nothing close to a salesperson. I would be sick to my stomach on the way in every night.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Now for the worst...

Firstly, I think I've got to know all of you guys better from reading this string; fascinating. Peruvian textiles? That is cool. Washing feet? Who knew?

Quote:
I then tried packing nachos and broke more than I packed.

So I just didn't turn up for work one morning & let them keep the previous days wages. Very ashamed of myself.
So honest! Really.

One of the worst ones was one I had while in college. I was part of a "crew" that unloaded and stocked the weekly delivery at a busy CVS. Next time you go into a CVS look for the red plastic bins stacked up in the asiles. We all had our own asile to stock, and it took all night and into the early morning to get done. The worst part was having to put those stupid anti-theft stickers on EVERY damn item; every bottle of stool softener, every cream, balm, salve, bottle of asprin, contact fluid, hydrogen peroxide, Metamucil, Pepto Bismol, etc. By 2:00 am I would just about loose it mentally, but I needed the money, and it was close to home. Squatting in my aisle 2 for hours putting those stupid stickers on product after product would really make me hate capitalism, and when the store closed and we could finally work without customers banging into us or asking where the stool softener was, me and this other dude would critique capitalism, advertising, and just how stupid everything was. I actually enjoy going into a CVS because the knowledge that I DON'T have to stock product makes me feel good.