The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #136
lookout123
changed his status to single

Awww

The happy couple has gone through some difficult times, but they still love eachother after it all...

Wedding of the Century
Old 02-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #137
mrnoodle
bent

Just think, kids! One day you can MARRY your abuser! Lovely Valentine's Day message. I'm all verklempt. or however you spell it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #138
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm also verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. Here's a topic. The civil war was neither civil, nor a war, discuss.....
Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #139
lookout123

no, mr noodle you missed the point - they are in love. or maybe his mother is telling him that they are inlove so she can quit raising the kids...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #140
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Where's the problem? He's twenty-two now. Let him have a taste of marriage to see if he really means it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:14 PM   #141
lookout123

i'm all for him getting his shot, it is still just plain creepy though.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #142
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Especially when you consider that she might be older than his mother.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #143
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

I heard on the news this morning (abc) that a lot of the things they registered for at Macy's have been bought! Don't you think this is ALL a publicity stunt? Supposedly there is a book in the works as well as a 'Movie of the Week'

She also strikes me as a little out there..cukoo
Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #144
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

All together now:

"Young love! First love!"

I think this case was remarkably tawdry, what with her being a schoolteacher and him being her 12 year old student when it all began. Without question, she was committing rape, according to the law.

Now I just think it is remarkable. I mean, what can you say? The lad is of legal age and then some. If he wants to marry his rapist, that's his business.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #145
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjulie
She also strikes me as a little out there..cukoo
Ya think?
Hey, here's another one.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #146
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Doesn't Mary Kay have a lot of kids from her first marriage? I wonder how those poor kids are doing. How embarrassing-to say the least!

And what is with all these women being so gorgeous? What is with that?? Pam Turner is gorgeous and so was LaFavre or whatever her name was.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 02-15-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #147
glatt

Is it me, or is the tone in this thread today a little different than the tone in the NAMBLA thread?

In the NAMBLA thread, the accused men only planned to do what the women in this thread actually did.

You have posters in the NAMBLA thread calling for life in prison. You have people in this thread wishing the couple well.

Last edited by glatt; 02-15-2005 at 02:20 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #148
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Even Ms. LeTourneau is pretty attractive when she's not in prison garb.

I wasn't going to be the first to mention the appearance factor, but now that Brianna has spoken up (all the better since she's...well...a she), you would think that attractive young women would be aiming a little higher. Is there much research on female child molesters? Certainly, the greatest majority of offenders are males, or so it would seem.

Perhaps it is the male nature, rampantly present even at the tender ages of 10, 11, or 12 that causes us to appear to have fewer such cases? I mean, if someone who looked like that gym teacher had wanted to do me when I was 11, I would have fallen to my knees and thanked Jesus. No way would I have told anyone and risk being cut off.

Is this *why* we have fewer apparent cases of female child molestation?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #149
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Here's a fox story linked from the NAMBLA thread

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147179,00.html

Quote:
Female teachers accused of sex crimes against underage male students have been grabbing headlines lately. Many of them are young and beautiful, their stories sordid and intriguing.

But to law enforcement, they're something else — criminals who have committed statutory rape against a minor.

This week alone, two cases have hit the news: Cops say one Texas teacher, Kathy Denise White (search) had sex with a 17-year-old, and Tennessee teacher Pamela Rogers Turner (search) had sex with a 13-year-old boy.

They join at least three other recent cases: Florida teacher Debra LaFave (search), 24, is expected to plead insanity to charges she had sex with a 14-year-old student, according to her lawyer; California teacher Sarah Bench-Salorio (search), 28, allegedly molested two boys when they were 12 and 14; and 33-year-old California teacher Rebecca Boicelli (search) was arrested last month on statutory rape and related charges after DNA tests confirmed that a former student fathered her 2-year-old baby when he was 16.

All of them follow the trail laid by Mary Kay Letourneau (search), whom the media tracked again last year when she was released from prison after more than seven years. The former Seattle teacher said she’s still in love with her now-21-year-old student (who was 12 when she was 34 and fathered the first of the two children they had together); the pair have since reportedly gotten engaged.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #150
6sickchix
pirate amish radio

If the kid, now 22, wants this, loves her, wants to be with her, and keeps wanting this (theorizing, here, since I can't see into the future), and wanted it them, is it terrible now? If they're married 30 years from now, was she still a rapist (not legally, because legally she is, but in your eyes), was she still doing something wrong?
6sickchix is offline   Reply With Quote