The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #181
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You were saying ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 PM   #182
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The website you link to is from the Center for Consumer Freedom, a smear group that not only targets PETA but MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers) and other organizations. They are funded by big tobacco, the meat industry and alcohol companies. They are currently working on having the DUI limit RAISED in order to protect drunk drivers (based, of course, on the fact that they receive money from all the booze pushers).

If you want to see a counterpoint and learn about the sleazeballs behind ConsumerFreedom.com, go to ConsumerDeception.com. You'll find the quotes there from Mr. Berman to be quite interesting...

Last edited by garnet; 08-18-2004 at 12:07 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #183
garnet

Quote:
And just out of curiosity--did you happen to look at any of the links I posted about PETA from national newspapers? I personally don't care that you hate PETA--I just think it's interesting how certain people ignore everything positive they've done and instead treat a sham website like ConsumerFreedom.com like it's the word of God.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #184
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I could start posting articles about folks releasing diseased animals into the wild, or causing ecological destruction by freeing minks and sables as happened within the last year or so ... or burning SUVs ... but that wouldn't have any more impact on you and your beliefs than your articles regarding factory farming would on me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #185
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I just watched the PETA pig video that garnet linked. Oh, god...the people who do those things are sick, sick, sick. If they can do that to a pig they could do it to a person. WHY beat an animal? The men on that video enjoyed torturing those pigs. I'm not going to look at that stuff again. It's too disturbing.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #186
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I'm not going to look at that stuff again. It's too disturbing.
Just so long as you don't forget it or ignore it.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:41 PM   #187
garnet

Quote:
I could start posting articles about folks releasing diseased animals into the wild, or causing ecological destruction by freeing minks and sables as happened within the last year or so ... or burning SUVs ... but that wouldn't have any more impact on you and your beliefs than your articles regarding factory farming would on me.
That's nice, but what does freeing minks or burning SUVs have to do with PETA? If you took the time to educate yourself, you would see that these actions were claimed by the ALF and the ELF. I don't support either of those groups because they are violent. PETA is not the ALF nor the ELF. You should stick to the topic of the thread.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:45 PM   #188
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I just watched the PETA pig video that garnet linked. Oh, god...the people who do those things are sick, sick, sick. If they can do that to a pig they could do it to a person. WHY beat an animal? The men on that video enjoyed torturing those pigs. I'm not going to look at that stuff again. It's too disturbing.
Sorry Brianna. Those videos are disgusting, but they are also very powerful. After seeing those videos I knew I couldn't continue to support an industry that finds behavior like that acceptable. I'm not telling everyone to become vegetarian, but I hope it'll make you more aware. Watch it and make your own decision.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:52 PM   #189
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
That's nice, but what does freeing minks or burning SUVs have to do with PETA? If you took the time to educate yourself, you would see that these actions were claimed by the ALF and the ELF. I don't support either of those groups because they are violent. PETA is not the ALF nor the ELF. You should stick to the topic of the thread.
You personally may not support them, but PETA funds them. Or are you denying that too?

Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 PM   #190
glatt

I watched the pig video too, and I admit it was disturbing. I eat pork regularly, and I don't like to see the pigs being treated that way.

I'm glad PETA was there to film it, and I'm glad the animal abusers were punished.

I wonder how frequently this happens? I have the impression PETA would exaggerate about the frequency of these problems. The video was clearly edited for length. I assume PETA removed all the footage of those workers treating the pigs the way they should, and only focused on the shocking images. One image in particular, the worker shooting the bolt into the pig's head behind the ear, was shocking to watch, but I think it didn't show abuse. It showed incompetence. The worker didn't intentionally torture the animal. The worker later tried to put the animal out of its misery, but it was thrashing around too much. As soon as the pig calmed down a little, a properly lined up shot put it out of its misery. The workers who held the other pigs down with their feet while lining the bolt up for a clean shot were also criticized. I'm sure the pig didn't like being stepped on. But a clean shot that instantly killed the pig was the result. Much better than the thrashing around in the other segment.

The worker slamming the runts down on the floor to kill them, the other one who was beating the pigs, and sick pigs left to die were all inexcusable in my opinion. Those workers are sociopathic. I would keep my eye on them if I were the local cops.

I have a difficult time believing that most pigs are treated this way in the industry as a whole. It's financially in the best interests of the industry to take care of its pigs up until the day they are slaughtered. If a pig is a runt or is sick, it should be slaughtered in a humane way, not beaten or abandoned.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #191
garnet

Quote:
You personally may not support them, but PETA funds them. Or are you denying that too?
Yup. The only money PETA has ever provided to the ALF or ELF was $1,500 to help pay for the defense of an ALF activist in a civil disobedience case. The individual in the case eventually had the charges dropped due to lack of evidence. There may be ALF supporters among PETA's membership rolls, but PETA cannot control the actions of all of it's 800,000 members. The $1,500 was legally accounted for in financial statements, all of which are public record.

The FBI and IRS are constantly on PETA's case--one investigation after another (because of PETA's tax-empt status). If they haven't found anything in 20 years, they either suck at their jobs or PETA is not guilty of anything.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM   #192
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You missed out on the $70K+ that was given to the guy who firebombed the University of MI animal labs.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #193
garnet

Quote:
You missed out on the $70K+ that was given to the guy who firebombed the University of MI animal labs.
Please provide a link for that----oh, let me guess, your link is from the CCF or activistcash.com (also funded by the CCF)
Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #194
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Where's the money going that's not listed in the Annual Report? Here's a couple places.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:19 PM   #195
wolf
lobber of scimitars

No, they're not the only source of this information, but you won't accept any of them, since PETA is the source of all that is pure and good, so why am I actually bothering?