The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #751
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

One of the funniest videos I've ever seen was from the Soupy Sales show. He used to have this bit where he would here a knock at the door, answer it and then talk to someone off camera.
One time, he went to answer the door and just started laughing histerically and looking really embarassed. It turned out that the crew had set him up and it was a beautiful, NAKED lady on the other side of the door, dancing and shaking her breast at him. And it was filmed! The sketch was released on a bloopers video, unedited.
Funny stuff!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #752
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

link????
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #753
jinx
Come on, cat.

1:48
Old 10-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #754
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

That's sad. Soupy Sales was one of the great ones.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #755
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

...a little weak in the name choosing department tho, IMO.

RIP, Soupy.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #756
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

RIP Soupy.

I remember him and Gene London more than I do Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers.

Soupy was more like the cool uncle that didn't have any parenting skills. While everyone else would talk to you in a cheerful baby voice, Soupy would be the kind of guy who would show you card tricks and talk about Jazz.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #757
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Soupy was awesome. Funny, funny guy.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #758
Major Matt Mason
Old School Cellardweller

I remember getting very misty when Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion among many, many others, passed away in February, 1989.

Oddly enough, most other celeb deaths rank either "Oh. Too bad." or "Good riddance to bad rubbish." with me...

-MMM-
Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #759
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

RIP Edward Woodward. Star of many things, but probably most well known his role in The Wicker Man.

He's a household name in the Uk. One of those names that's been around forever (for my generation)... probably at least in someway because it's a fun name is fun to say.

Died yesterday aged 79.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #760
monster
I hear them call the tide

I always thought of him as the Equalizer, even thought I didn't ever really watch that. Starnge. He also always reminded me of Michael Caine.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #761
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh he was always The Equalizer to me as well, and didn't watch it either! But for the Merkins he's probably better known for the cult classic.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #762
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I brought home a male friend (who I had snogged) and he was terrified by my Dad.
Why?
Combination of my Dad not saying much, and what he did saw was in a gruff East London accent, and he looked like the Equaliser.

He did in some lights actually.
The rest was because he was terribly shy.
But it was quite good fun when the word was passed around that my Dad was some sort of East End hard man.

And no, I never watched it either. To me, Woodward was always Neil Howie. I have the Director's Cut DVD. I may have to watch it again tonight.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #763
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I've never seen the 1973 version of the wicker man. I've added it to my netflix queue.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #764
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I've never seen the 1973 version of the wicker man. I've added it to my netflix queue.
You're in for a treat... That butchered piece of crap... is terrible. (The new one, I mean.)

That's what happens when Modern Cinema has to take from the past, because there are no new ideas - They rape classics.

Nicholas Cage is one of my favourite actors, and that's the only saving grace of this movie; I still refuse, however, to watch it... because I hate when American cinema rapes British classics just because they're all out of ideas.*

(* Not that it's just American Cinema that's out of ideas, of course... Most Modern Cinema is suffering from a terrible lack of unique, new ideas.)

--

EDIT: Keeping the thread on-track, I'd have to say that the deaths that have, this year, bummed me out, are...

(In no order.) Michael Jackson, Keith Floyd, Patrick Swayze. < All men who, with extraordinary talent, died before their times.

Keith was my all-time-favourite Chef / T.V Chef. Has been for a very long time. He had a very troubled life, at times, which is probably what drove him to alcoholism, but he kept it in check, I think, in a decent manner. He was a very extrovert T.V personality, and paved the way for all the cooking shows that we, today, enjoy so much... I loved his excessive use of incredibly expensive ingredients, too. Throwing a fistful of saffron into something that was also loaded with rare truffles... That's Floyd!

Michael was an incredible man. I'm not one of those crazy, I'd-sell-all-I-own-to-see-him fans, just someone who can appreciate a decent person, with a decent message, who wants nothing more than love, to love, to be loved, to spread the word of love, etc... Not for profit, not for "a place in heaven" (he wasn't religious,) but just... out of decency. That is so rare, it's almost completely extinct, now that he's gone.

Patrick, well... Not the best actor, but... He just had "that face." Anyone who's a fan, should know what I mean. One of the most emotive faces I've ever observed in an actor, and, for that, he was truly gifted... If you don't know what I mean, just watch "Ghost." I mean, come on... that's just brilliant acting, right there.

They all bum me out, though; Deaths. Not just celebrity, but, of course, the celebrities are the ones we build "connections" with, through their chosen medium. It's like losing a distant friend, someone you may've shared many years with, good times, and bad...

This is a depressing thread!

Last edited by TheDaVinciChode; 11-19-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Keeping thread on-track.
TheDaVinciChode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #765
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
But for the Merkins he's probably better known for the cult classic.
Hey. I resemble that remark. Officer Howie was a truly great character.

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....