The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 02-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Little one's getting tubes put in next week. The risk of more ear infections (scarring, hearing loss, speech delay) out weigh the risks of ear tubes. I know he may still get ear infections even with the tubes, but I need to do all that I can to minimize the possibility. Wish us luck!
aimeecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
glatt

Good luck!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Be warned: as a professional audio person, I have a rather strong opinion on this subject.

They wanted to put tubes in my little brother's ears for the same thing. My parents said no fucking way. (Incidentally, tubes don't do anything but let pus drain faster out of your ear. In the meantime, they open you up for even more infections, and they can screw up your hearing for life.)

Frequent infections are usually due to swelling--an "issue" with his eustachian tubes, just like you said. The question is, why are they swollen? The vast majority of the time, the answer is mild allergies.

90% of childhood allergies are to one of five things: eggs, milk, peanuts, soy and wheat.

My parents started with cow's milk. About a week after they'd taken him off of it, his latest infection cleared, and he never got another one. Sometime around age 5 or 6 they reintroduced it into his diet, and he did fine.

Please, please at least try to rule out food allergies before you agree to let them put tubes in his ears. You never know, he might like to be a musician someday.
What?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Foot!! Good to see you, man!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 AM   #20
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeecc View Post
Little one's getting tubes put in next week. The risk of more ear infections (scarring, hearing loss, speech delay) out weigh the risks of ear tubes. I know he may still get ear infections even with the tubes, but I need to do all that I can to minimize the possibility. Wish us luck!
Good luck, if you have any questions let me know. The only thing you need to do is be sure they have ear plugs for submersive swimming from surgery date to removal or when they fall out.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
aimeecc
Super Intendent

No swimming for him for another year or so anyway... The doc said the tubes would most likely fall out in a year or so.

I did cut dairy out, and he has been sleeping much better. It's been almost 2 weeks without an ear infection, although his ears were still filled with fluid.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
No swimming for him for another year or so anyway.

Why not? Because of the surgery or something else? (just being nosy, feel free to ignore -not that you need my permission for that.. )
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #23
aimeecc
Super Intendent

He's only 11 months... we may take him wading to be comfortable in the water this summer, but no swimming. I always thought I would introduce him to swimming early, but honestly, with both of us working in the beltway, there is little time for "extra curricular" activites. But by the time he is 5, I'll be in another job or not working and be able to focus in on other activities for him.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #24
TheMercenary

When he gets old enough to swim you use plugs. My kids had to use them till the tubes fell out. Longer than 1 year I assure you. Some kids actually have to come back to the OR and have them removed, some can do it in the office.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #25
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Thanks. How were your kids post op? The doctor told me he'd be out of it/disoriented/cranky because of the anesthesia.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
TheMercenary

Quote:
Thanks. How were your kids post op? The doctor told me he'd be out of it/disoriented/cranky because of the anesthesia.
Don't buy that, only slightly irritable. Up running around like nothing happened the next day. Start him on tylenol drops or elixir or liquid motrin the night before and give him another dose 4 hours before surgery even if you wake up in the middle of the night to do it (unless it is motrin then you need to follow the directions as I recall it is every 8 hours). Keep him on tylenol or motrin around the clock for the first 24 hours and you should be good to go. You will be surprised how much he improves in the first month.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #27
aimeecc
Super Intendent

One last ear infection before surgery... I'll be so happy when we no longer have to go through this. He was so upset yesterday because his little ears hurt so much. The tylenol wasn't helping at all. 2 more days until tubes...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #28
monster
I hear them call the tide

My kids will be getting their braces while your is getting tubes
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
aimeecc
Super Intendent

Good luck with the braces! How are the kiddos adjusting?

Tubes went in well. But crabnky for about 4 days. Not good. But 2 1/2 weeks now with no ear infections! Yeah!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #30
glatt

Glad the tubes went well, and they seem to be working!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote