The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

Shoot his ass again!!

link

Man shoots robber at L.A. Tan in Orland Park

By Sun-Times Media Dec 13, 2010 03:10PM

First he saw the young clerk, bound with ropes. Then Jason McDaniel saw the gunman.

Moments after the 29-year-old husband and father walked into a south suburban tanning salon Saturday night, McDaniel looked into a pair of hard cold eyes and he knew he might not make it out alive.

After shooting and killing the intruder who was terrorizing two women, a customer and an employee, at the L.A. Tan, Jason McDaniel can’t stop being thankful.

“I thank God I came in those doors to help those girls. I thank God it was me,” McDaniel told the SouthtownStar on Sunday night from his southwest suburban home, his 15-month old daughter playing at his side.

His first thought wasn’t shooting. He tried to offer money. He tried to reason.

“Man you don’t have to do this. I’ve got a little girl at home, I’m a new daddy.” McDaniel told the man, that tactic wasn’t working. The gunman - a stocky, dark-skinned white man in his late 30s to early 40s, McDaniel recalled - told him that he didn’t care. Instead, he ordered him to tie his hands.

When the gunman, who authorities identified as 48-year-old Gary Amaya, of Rankin, Ill., reached for the ropes he carried in a bag, McDaniel saw his chance and took it. Lunging at the unmasked man and knocking him to the ground, he then grabbed the gun from the counter where the man had left it.

The man fought back, and McDaniel shot him as the two struggled on the ground.

“Then I was standing up again and he was still grabbing for things in his pocket, so I shot him again,”

He doesn’t own a gun but he knew how to use one. He didn’t aim to kill. He just had to save those girls, and save himself, he said.

“I did what I had to do,” he said.

The honeybee killer-

Will County Sheriff’s police spokesman Ken Kaupas said investigators are looking into whether the L.A. Tan robber was the so-called honeybee killer, who has been at large since killing one man and injuring another in a rural shooting spree near the Illinois-Indiana line in October. Orland Park police notified Will County about the similarities and investigators went to Orland Park Sunday morning to take a look, Kaupas said.

“They contacted us, we sent some investigators,” Kaupas said. “We’re not ruling it out, but we’re not ruling anything in. We don’t know everything we have.”

The Will County Sheriff’s office was keeping mum late Monday morning. But investigators were having a powwow that was still going at about noon, said spokeswoman Kathy Hoffmeyer.

“We’re not releasing any information right now,” she said. “There will be information forthcoming at sometime this afternoon.”

Orland Park Mayor Dan McLaughlin said it’s unclear why the business was targeted.

“It’s one of those odd things,” he said Sunday afternoon. “I don’t know why this store was targeted for this kind of robbery. I don’t know that they deal with a lot of cash there.”

McDaniel, for his part, is pretty sure the man was not after money.

“I think he was there to hurt people. He had all kinds of things with him. He had a beating stick on his belt - one of those batons police carry. And more things, too. It was like he was going to war.”

McDaniel figures the man didn’t expect survivors to identify him after. “What scared me most is he didn’t have a mask on,” he said.

Just what led this regular tanner to L.A. Tan salon at 15633 S. 94th Ave., McDaniel himself wasn’t sure.

Usually, he tanned after his work at a car dealership, but this day he randomly decided to drop by on a Saturday evening.

Nick Patel, owner and CEO of L.A. Tan, said he’s giving McDaniel and his wife a lifetime of free tanning services and a $5,000 reward, calling him “a true hero.”

“I couldn’t believe how he rescued himself and the woman who was working at the time,” Patel said.

Patel said no crimes had taken place at the tanning salon since he took it over from a previous owner a couple years ago, but that it is common practice to run a video security camera at the front counter.

“We do have (the incident) on video, and the police have the video,” he said.

Surveillance video from inside the business, 15633 S. 94th Ave., showed that a man entered L.A. Tan just after 6:30 p.m., announced a robbery and pointed a handgun at a female employee, according to police. The man then ordered a female customer using a tanning bed to tie the hands and feet of the female employee with rope he had brought with him.

Edward Hiller, 46, who owns and operates Pro-Tyme Classic Billiards about a block north of L.A. Tan., agreed the area is rarely targeted by criminals. Hiller’s route to work Saturday night was blocked by police cars, and said he suspected violence had occurred at the salon because of the amount of medical personnel on scene.

“It’s a tough situation. You feel because somebody passed here, but maybe this time things happened on more of the right side of the fence, you know- “ he said. “It definitely sticks in the back of my mind because my job is to protect my employees and my patrons.”

L.A. Tan remained closed Monday, as people milled about inside,

There was no sign of a police presence. A sign posted on the window read, “LA Tan 94th Ave. will be closed until further notice. As a salon we appreciate the kindness and sincerity of our customers. We thank you for your cooperation — LA Tan management, staff and ownership.”

Rachel Cowell, 28, tried to stop in Sunday afternoon. She said she hoped to find the store slow due to Sunday’s snow storm so she could squeeze in a quick tan. She was shocked to learn of the fatal armed robbery attempt.

“That’s just crazy and so scary. That’s just not something you’d expect to happen at a tanning salon of all places,” said Cowell, who said she lives in Chicago and came to Orland Park to visit friends and run errands.

Amaya died of a gunshot wound to the chest, according to a spokesman for the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

The suspect’s name has not been confirmed and is pending identification by family members or fingerprints, according to the release. A vehicle believed to be the suspect’s was recovered near the scene, the release said.

The two customers and the salon worker were unharmed, according to the release. The handgun was also recovered at the scene.

McDaniel said he was treated well by police and then let go late Saturday night.

“They treated me good. They made me feel real good.”

CONTRIBUTING: AMY LEE, SANDRA GUY, MICHELLE HOLMES, JOE BIESK
Old 12-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Some folks Just NEED Killen !!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

He had to grab for the pervy suspect's gun because Illinois is highly unfriendly to CCW for private citizens. Chicago area is unbelievably so. Not only downtown, but in suburbs like Morton Grove.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
Grendel T. Troll
Linux Minion

Location: Pt. Hueneme, Ca., U.S.A., Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Dimension #1276
At least the hero knew how to use the weapon....
Registered Linux Minion #299419 http://counter.li.org
Many people resent being treated like the person they really are.
Grendel T. Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a shame he knew how to handle a gun, but didn't know 2 in the chest 1 in the head.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
glatt

Maybe he didn't want to be replaying the time he took a guy's life every time he lies down to go to sleep for the rest of his life. Thinking it over and knowing that he was justified but still feeling like crap. This way, he's the hero, and the state gets to be the heavy.

I don't ever want to kill anyone. I think it would change me. I'll do it if I need to, but I don't want to.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Maybe he didn't want to be replaying the time he took a guy's life every time he lies down to go to sleep for the rest of his life.
I think you skimmed the article too fast--he did kill the guy. Shot him once, then shot him again after the wounded robber kept trying to go for another weapon. UG's point was that he had to do it with the robber's own gun, instead of carrying his own.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
glatt

Oops. Never mind then.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Still a valid point though... you shouldn't carry a weapon unless you're prepared to live with yourself after killing someone. Of course you never know until you get there, but I honestly don't think it would bother me too deeply, assuming it were a self-defense situation where the person deserved it. In fact, if it came down to it I think I'd be more likely to shoot to kill rather than wound, because I'd be terrified of the guy coming back after me for revenge after his sentence was up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

If a person has already created one situation in which my only recourse to protect myself or my family is to respond with the use of firearms, then I assume that they have proven that they need to be removed from the possibility of ever creating a similar situation. For that, it isn't my responsibility to feel remorse, as I am not in control of their actions or decisions.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
glatt

Flint, your response is logical, and I agree with it. I'd shoot the guy too.

But I bet that taking a life, however justified, changes a person.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

If a man takes a necessary action and is changed by it, then he has become a better person insomuch as having a more honest relationship with the realities of human experience. Regradless of whether this is true, you would have to believe it to be true, because you would have no choice. There is no "right" philosophy, only the most functional one.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
If a man takes a necessary action and is changed by it, then he has become a better person insomuch as having a more honest relationship with the realities of human experience.
I'll agree that any change gives the person a more honest relationship with reality, but I don't think it follows that the person becomes a better person.

Think of those soldiers returning from war with post traumatic stress. These are broken men who did the right thing and are suffering now because of it.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

Better wasn't the best word choice. Better doesn't always "feel" better.

I'm a little distracted due to being at work right now.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post
Some folks Just NEED Killen !!!
Find articles recently about the town of Skidmore MO. The town bully was shot with numerous witnesses around. Everyone saw the bully get shot. Nobody saw the gunman.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote