The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #2761
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Now I'm even more depressed than I was.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #2762
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I am familiar with the Crickett rifle.

They are not marketed as toys.

They are genuine firearms, and are marketed as such. They are subject to the same rules and regulations.

What we have here is a family of fucking stupid people.
You're right, it's not marketed as a toy. That was some asshole reporter's interpretation of marketing to kids. There is an inflammatory mother jones article trying to show how Crickett is a big bad company marketing guns to kids as though guns were cigarettes or heroin. Ironically, everyone of the supposedly damning photos they lifted as evidence from Crickett's site are photos of kids handling guns SAFELY!

The horror.

Meanwhile, the real problem in this country, a government completely owned by corporations and nearly all the country's wealth funneled to an inversely proprotionate number of people, goes unnoticed because of non issues taking up the airwaves.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #2763
chrisinhouston
Professor

I still have an Ithaca 22 caliber single shot rifle that my dad gave me when I was 8 (I think). It looks like a Winchester style but when you pull down the lever it opens the receiver and you can only put in one shell, there is no magazine. And after closing the breech you have to physically pull back the hammer to engage it to fire, it isn't automatically done like the repeating rifles of the old west. That gun was given to me in about 1965 and I shot it a lot when we moved to Atlanta, Georgia as we lived at that time in a more remote rural area (now part of the city). I taught my kids how to shoot with it as well and will probably teach my grankids to shoot targets with it, the gun is very accurate and as it is one shot only I feel it is a safer beginner's rifle.

That being said, the kids get a lot of instruction before they ever shoot.

When I got this rifle back in the mid 60's we lived in Roslyn, NY on Long Island and my older sister took a marksmanship class in High School and got an NRA certificate for accuracy from the class. I don't imagine they offer that class any more.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #2764
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
I still have an Ithaca 22 caliber single shot rifle that my dad gave me when I was 8 (I think). It looks like a Winchester style but when you pull down the lever it opens the receiver and you can only put in one shell, there is no magazine. And after closing the breech you have to physically pull back the hammer to engage it to fire, it isn't automatically done like the repeating rifles of the old west. That gun was given to me in about 1965 and I shot it a lot when we moved to Atlanta, Georgia as we lived at that time in a more remote rural area (now part of the city). I taught my kids how to shoot with it as well and will probably teach my grankids to shoot targets with it, the gun is very accurate and as it is one shot only I feel it is a safer beginner's rifle.

When I got this rifle back in the mid 60's we lived in Roslyn, NY on Long Island and my older sister took a marksmanship class in High School and got an NRA certificate for accuracy from the class. I don't imagine they offer that class any more.
That is the kind of sanity I remember and associate with responsible gun ownership. I'm pretty sure you're right about not offering that class...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #2765
anonymous
Operations Operative

Chris that sounds a lot like my first gun, right around the same age.

Mine was a Revelation (made by Savage) in .22, that had a trap door in the top of the receiver (is that what they called a dropping, or falling block?). Faux tube magazine. Still have mine, too. It's been the end of many a squrl.

Name:  Firsty 1.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  64.5 KB
Name:  Firsty 2.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  Firsty 3.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  124.3 KB

Quote:
- Savage Arms -
Revelation Westfield, Mass. U.S.A. Model 103
Cal .22 Short, Long & Long Rifle
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #2766
anonymous
Operations Operative

I've thought about having it re-blued and a real finish put on the wood, but, I think I kinda like it this way, I can still take it into the woods if I want.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #2767
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Man Gets Beat Up After Posting Video Of Himself Hitting Dog Online

Quote:
As of today [July 7, 2014], no charges have been filed against Guldschmitt.
God bless you, Josef Guldschmitt.

And, you, you-fucking-piece-of-shit-who's-name-I-won't-print?

I'll show your face though:

Name:  piece of shit.JPG
Views: 1049
Size:  19.3 KB

Goddamn you to hell.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #2768
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

tl;dr:

two wrongs don't make a right.

slightly longer version:

I'm glad the woman got out while the getting was good. Of course, there's no guarantee that she's safe from this violent asshole, but it appears there's some distance between them; good. I feel bad for the dog, he's innocent. I don't feel so bad for the dog beater, there is a certain satisfying symmetry to what's happened. But! I don't feel *safer* knowing there's some guy out there that tracks down people to inflict the same pain that they've inflicted on others. Oh, and "I really wanted him to die. If I could have found my pliers, I would have twisted his scrotum off too." No, the dog got hurt unfairly, cruelly, but such a beatdown is NOT justified.

We have laws for this kind of circumstance. And the deterrent effect on a future attacker is likely to be zero. Maybe not even this guy, he strikes me as the kind that stores up hurts, incubates them until they're ready to be given back or paid forward once they've had a chance to grow.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #2769
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Yeah. Why bother having a law enforcement and judicial system?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #2770
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Probably best not to put 100% faith in Sat Nav.

Lorry 'wedged' in Watton-at-Stone road junction for hours

Quote:
An articulated lorry (Semi) blocked a road when it became "wedged" between a building and a junction after its driver followed sat-nav directions.

The vehicle became "very stuck" on Church Lane in Watton-at-Stone, Hertfordshire, said police.

The driver told officers his sat-nav had directed him down the narrow lane on Friday and the lorry became stuck as his tried to turn it around.

The road was closed for two hours while the vehicle was recovered.

East Hertfordshire Police tweeted: "Sat Navs are amazing pieces of technology. Don't always trust them."

The lorry was "very stuck, wedged between an island and a building," said Hertfordshire Police

BBC Three Counties.

Street View (I think)
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #2771
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post

I carried what I think was a borrowed .32 Winchester set up the same way early in my hunting career.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:41 PM   #2772
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, no, no, they'll never get that rifle past the hall monitors/stoolies.
Get the wee ones a small caliber semi and show 'em how to hold it in the best way to intimidate classmates outta their lunch money.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #2773
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Yeah. Why bother having a law enforcement and judicial system?
Well, that fella probably doesn't have the kind of fatherly guidance we all enjoy here in the cellar. No one to talk down to him. No one to give him examples of how awesome their life is. No little pointers about anything and everything he could possibly have his own opinion about.
Poor guy.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #2774
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow. You sound a tad down on the Cellar Jim.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #2775
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Nah. The cellar is what it is. You're reading into this post from that other post where I was telling sycamore that the dems won the war in here. I was just twisting his generous saucer sized nipples.

This was simply an ironic post meant to point out some more cunty judgement passed upon gravedigger. As though that guy doesn't get enough of that from the women.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote