The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What Did the Cellar Ever Do For You...?

I thought of this while writing a post where I admitted I have different opinions about the importance of freedom of speech since I started to post here.

Despite being to the left of what Americans would call liberal, I have certainly gained a better understanding of what we would call the far right. Here. Where I encounter real people.

I've realised decent people, who I like, can have beliefs I would previously have found extreme.

I've begun to understand the culture of a country that is so very different to mine. That the words "American" and "culture" can exist in harmony for example, and that some Europeans can be snobbish. Same with the realisation that Americans really cook. And even have more interest in good food than I do. McDonalds and Domino's are not necessarily every American's sole food provider.

On a more personal level, I learned that people struggle with all sorts of issues, and what I perceived as a world where everyone was okay except for me was a self-pitying fabrication. Everyday people have huge issues underneath the surface. Children, self-esteem, depression, work, family trouble. Success is how you handle it, not where you appear to be. And sometimes you just don't handle it and that is okay too.

And that there is a world where you can use three and four syllable words and not get blank looks. Well - it's the internet, you can't see them anyway. But there is a place where you can write a paeon to a dead politician in one thread, then talk about having sparkle dust on your boobs in the next. Those were my first posts as I remember. I knew I was home.

BTW - I wasn't anti-American before I came here. I was just lacking in information.

Hope this isn't too Hallmark.
I just wanted to get it off my sparkle-dusted chest.