The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM   #46
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Not crazy and angry at all.
I quite agree with Spexx's assessment of Merc, despite his lame-o try at sarcasm. The proper idea has at least entered his head: Merc is neither crazy nor angry, and all the left-leaning ranting this Cellar could muster cannot cause him to be either. Should this kind of thinking continue, Spexx will actually become wise, and hold views and values that are not contemptible. A glimmering of growth occurs.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #47
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I think UG is funny.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right, always good for a laugh.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #49
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
No one has listed The Man From Nantucket.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #50
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

I'm glad at least Foot is keeping things dignified on this thread.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #51
Cloud

mean people
bigots
haters
(ok, so unoriginal, but true)
neighbors who let their dogs roam leashless and don't pick up doo doo in common areas
backstabbing cow orkers
belittling bosses
child abusers
spouse abusers
people who use religion as an excuse to hate on people and keep women subservient, or . . anything really
people who never admit to being wrong when they are
loan officers
Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #52
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
No one has listed The Man From Nantucket.
lol foot(3) wins the thread.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #53
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
people who use religion as an excuse to hate on people and keep women subservient,
I made the mistake of watching the climactic scene of The Stoning of Suriya M on Youtube. Deeply upsetting. A profoundly disturbing film. I went to bed that night boiling with impotent rage.

A very worthwhile movie though. I intend to see it in full at some point. The acting is stunning. It's brilliantly directed. I see why Iran doesn't want it showing over there. It exposes the reality of a form of punishment that is almost uniquely applied to women and is an absolute instrument of gender control and gender terror.

The way the village as a whole is involved. The way even her sons are encouraged to hurl a stone. The hatred and anger in the faces of many of the men and even a few women, at this 'whore' who had dared to transgress their codes. Their jubiliation at what was clearly seen as an expression of God's greatness; his law, his justice and his power. The utter lack of empathy amongst those throwing the stones for bloody and weeping woman buried up to her waist in the ground: her body rocking and reeling back with the impact of each stone.

Anyway. Sorry. Bit of a rant. Your selection of people who can suck it got me thinking.

That hatred of gender transgressing women is clearly founded on a deep-seated fear of the female; fear and suspicion. So I say all those men who look at a woman and see an Other not worth their regard can suck it. And so can the fathers and mothers who raised them.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #54
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I made the mistake of watching the climactic scene of The Stoning of Suriya M on Youtube. Deeply upsetting. A profoundly disturbing film. I went to bed that night boiling with impotent rage.

A very worthwhile movie though. I intend to see it in full at some point. The acting is stunning. It's brilliantly directed. I see why Iran doesn't want it showing over there. It exposes the reality of a form of punishment that is almost uniquely applied to women and is an absolute instrument of gender control and gender terror.

The way the village as a whole is involved. The way even her sons are encouraged to hurl a stone. The hatred and anger in the faces of many of the men and even a few women, at this 'whore' who had dared to transgress their codes. Their jubiliation at what was clearly seen as an expression of God's greatness; his law, his justice and his power. The utter lack of empathy amongst those throwing the stones for bloody and weeping woman buried up to her waist in the ground: her body rocking and reeling back with the impact of each stone.

Anyway. Sorry. Bit of a rant. Your selection of people who can suck it got me thinking.

That hatred of gender transgressing women is clearly founded on a deep-seated fear of the female; fear and suspicion. So I say all those men who look at a woman and see an Other not worth their regard can suck it. And so can the fathers and mothers who raised them.
Ditto. Women, especially mothers should be held in higher esteem than a bunch of sweaty self righteous men. They are there to be cherished and honored, and admired for their innate beauty.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #55
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
Ditto. Women, especially mothers should be held in higher esteem than a bunch of sweaty self righteous men. They are there to be cherished and honored, and admired for their innate beauty.
Especially those with potent rage. They throw stuff.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #56
monster
I hear them call the tide

anyone who can't drive in the real world can suck it. It's a roundabout. I get it, I understand it's a new concept. There are signs posted to help you. It's not a 4-way stop. The car on the roundabout has right of way. Getting to the yield sign before the car and doing a pseudo stop before he does, does not give you right of way. You can suck it. Once it's decomposed.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #57
Bogart
Gustatus similis pullus

hmmm... this is a list I could add to daily. Let's see.....

People who slow down to 5 mph to negotiate a simple turn and then suddenly swing wide.

People who don't flush the toilet after using it in a public restroom. I guess I should also include those who leave toilet paper pieces all over the place (just what did you think you were doing?), and those too lazy to lift a foot to raise the seat thinking their aim is so great that they'll not dribble a drop. I suspect these are the same guys who whisk themselves into a stall rather than use the open urinals. Maybe the reason they're so shy is the same reason they can't manage to avoid peeing all over the seat (reach?).

Habitual liars. The ones who lie, not just about big things, but even small details. I don't know if you've ever been unfortunate enough to know or work with one, but they SUCK. I mean, how do you muster showing any emotion over anything they say when you know there is a darn good probability that everything they are telling you is completely made up? I've known two and both can (and probably have since we've parted ways) suck it.

People who blame their childhood, parents or any of a myriad of reasons for how crappy their lives are. Your life is crappy because you're crappy at life. After all, at least that you can change that.

People who you only hear from when they need something, or have some new tragedy in their life. My wife's college dorm mate is like this. I see an email or call come in from this woman I KNOW we're in for drama.

My ex-wife. She too can suck it, as long as it doesn't belong to me.
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #58
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post

No. No, no, no. They are not to be cherished and honored for their innate beauty. They are to be afforded the same respect as men on the same terms :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

When men figure out how to have babies, and the instinct to mother them, maybe I'll give them the same respect.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #60
Cloud

gee. live in the 21st century, please.