The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #76
rkzenrage

Same in LA and Tampa when I went... the announcer's chin has a large cleft. We always yelled that he has a pussy on it and on the close-ups someone always jumped-up with their hands together like they were screwing it. It is on a CD I used to have with the audience participation on it, a gift I got rid of. It was very sad.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #77
Buddug

rkzenrage , you do not seem like a Buddhist to me .

Perhaps you can put your legs over your shoulders though ?
Old 07-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #78
rkzenrage

Not any more... I'm not a monk. Westerners have strange concepts of Buddhists. Many seem to think we are all completely mild all of the time. I don't get it.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #79
Buddug

Well , we expect mad gymnastics with a few weird thoughts that we don't understand .

You can't do the gym , and you don't have no weird thoughts . You aint no Buddhist, rkzenrage .
Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #80
rkzenrage

I have plenty of weird thoughts... just keep them to myself most of the time. People ostracize me for it. I used to be able to do all the cool stretching, but that was years ago. Still do muscle isolation and breathing exercises.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #81
Buddug

You sound absolutely charming and very interesting rkzenrage .
Old 07-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #82
rkzenrage

Thank you, that is very kind of you.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 AM   #83
rkzenrage

I'm sorry guys & gals if I've been a dick lately... I've been in a lot of pain for a bit and I'm actually terrified about the future.
Not many in my "real" life know about this beyond my immediate family... I fell last week and did something to my hip. It is getting worse, I think I may have a small fracture, I know I bruised the bone pretty badly and am pretty sure I did something to the joint.
My family is talking around it, but I know that they are thinking about things that I don't want to hear... things that have to do with what little independence I have left. I'm not ready... and I can't think clearly through all this pain. There's so little left of me.
I'm being hollowed out a little at a time.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #84
Griff
still says videotape

The nice thing about the cellar is that we can all be dicks now and then and folks let go of it. I don't think you've been a dick lately though. Take care of yourself man, we're all pulling for you. G
Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #85
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
The nice thing about the cellar is that we can all be dicks now and then and folks let go of it. I don't think you've been a dick lately though. Take care of yourself man, we're all pulling for you. G
Yup, we certainly are.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #86
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I'm sorry guys & gals if I've been a dick lately... I've been in a lot of pain for a bit and I'm actually terrified about the future.
Not many in my "real" life know about this beyond my immediate family... I fell last week and did something to my hip. It is getting worse, I think I may have a small fracture, I know I bruised the bone pretty badly and am pretty sure I did something to the joint.
My family is talking around it, but I know that they are thinking about things that I don't want to hear... things that have to do with what little independence I have left. I'm not ready... and I can't think clearly through all this pain. There's so little left of me.
I'm being hollowed out a little at a time.
Not meaning to pry, but are you practicing Buddhism with a teacher or solo? I found it often helps with these bigger life issues, i.e. terror about the future, to be able to talk to a teacher in dokusan or daisan. I'm sure your sitting practice has brought you face to face with plenty of pain, both physical and emotional, sometimes it can help to have another ear who has been around the block, so to speak.

Maybe this is old ground for you, but I thought I'd share. As others have said, we're rooting for you.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #87
Jaydaan
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Here are a few points I found, when fighting fibro, and a broken neck (well really, 2 vertabrea, not the spinal column)

Foods That Fight Pain

According to Neal Barnard, M.D., author of Foods That fight Pain, foods work against pain in four ways:

(1) They can reduce damage at the site of an injury;
(2) they can cool your body's inflammatory response;
(3) they can provide analgesia on pain nerves, and
(4) they can work within the brain to reduce pain sensitivity.

A major factor in the successful treatment of fibromyalgia, as well as chronic pain, is specific nutrients that exert a strong regenerative effect on the body's systems, including the nervous system.

Christine Craggs-Hinton, a fibromyalgia sufferer, and author of The Fibromyalgia Diet, made the important discovery that changes made to her own diet had the greatest positive impact on reducing her fibromyalgia symptoms. Christine stresses that it is important to take responsibility for your own illness, a part of which is being fully aware of what you eat and drink.

Rebuilding and Healing Our Bodies

Foods contain many components which work together to provide optimum health. All foods, in their essential, unadulterated form, provide nutrients that support growth and healing. Diet treats the causes of disease, not just the symptoms, by balancing the body's systems and by helping the body to repair itself. Whenever we supply ourselves with missing nutrients, our bodies have the raw materials necessary to rebuild and heal.

The importance of a good diet is nothing new. What is new is the affirmation that the incidence of most chronic diseases has a dietary link and that a good diet can help prevent as well as treat disease.

Hippocrates may be right. Food is our best medicine.*

* (For those currently on medication or on a specific diet, it is important to
consult your health practitioner before making any kind of dramatic
changes in your diet.)

Vitamin C
A diet high in vitamin C containing foods such as red and green bell peppers, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, strawberries, spinach, oranges, cabbage, grapefruit and cantaloupe can help destroy free radicals before they enter the cells, where they may eventually result in clogged arteries, heart attacks and strokes.

Vitamin E
Wheat germ, rice ban, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, soybeans and vegetable oils in general - all containing significant amounts of vitamin E, protect cell membranes.

Quercitin
Yellow and red onions, red grapes, broccoli and yellow crookneck squash contain another effective antioxidant called quercitin. It is one of the few food substances that has been shown to block cancer both in the earliest stage and in tumors. Quercitin also protects arteries and discourages blood clots.

Grains
Grains also help suppress cancer-causing agents, and due to their high fiber content help reduce constipation. The gummy fiber found in both oats and barley helps lower blood cholesterol as well.

Antioxidants
As reported by author Jean Carper in her books The Food Pharmacy, scientists suspect antioxidants are the reason that fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains and nuts promote health and help prevent diseases such as cancer, heart disease, lung disease and arthritis.

Antioxidants quench toxic molecules known as free radicals that are a by-product of normal metabolism. They can be produced from exposure to the sun, x-rays, tobacco smoke, car exhaust and other environmental pollutants. These free radicals damage DNA, corrode cell membranes, kill cells and are directly responsible for gradual deterioration during the aging process. Eating foods high in naturally occurring antioxidants could prevent the onset of degenerative diseases and enable people to live out their lives in optimum health.

Ellagic Acid
Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, grapes, apples, Brazil nuts and cashews all contain ellagic acid. This antioxidant helps block four different types of cancer-causing agents.

Beta-Carotene
Fresh and dried apricots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green cabbage, carrots, kale, dark leafy lettuce, spinach, winter squash, sweet potatoes and tomatoes are all high in beta-carotene. This is the substance that converts to vitamin A in the body, and is considered the major reason why fruits and vegetables protect against cancer, particularly lung cancer. A diet high in beta-carotene containing foods may reduce the risk of lung cancer even among people who have smoked cigarettes for years.

Potassium
High potassium foods, including potatoes, cantaloupe, bananas, tomatoes and low-fat yogurt, seem to help protect blood vessels against damage from high blood pressure.

Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips, horseradish, kale, radish, rutabaga) contain compounds which block the formation of cancer, particularly colon cancer. Lower risks of breast, uterine and hormone-dependent cancers are also linked to high intake of cruciferous vegetables.

Beans
Beans have been found to be effective in lowering cholesterol and regulating insulin and blood sugar levels.

Garlic
Raw garlic helps kill bacteria and boost immune function, while cooked garlic can help lower blood cholesterol as well as help prevent bronchitis.
Jaydaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #88
Jaydaan

MSM

MSM is not a medicine, a drug or a food additive: it is a food. (Methylsulfonylmethane) is an organic form of sulfer which can be found primarily in fruits, vegetables, meat, milk and seafood. It offers a natural way to reduce pain without serious side effects.

MSM has shown a remarkable ability to reduce or eliminate muscle soreness and cramps. People with arthritis report substantial and long-lasting relief with MSM supplements. Taken along with glucosamine, MSM can relieve pain and help repair worn or damaged cartilage in joints with healthy, flexible new cells. (3)

Calcium

Calcium and magnesium are the two minerals most often recommended for treating pain. Calcium is recommended for arthritis, more as a preventive than as a painkiller. Recently, the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology reported that pain from pre-menstrual syndrome was reduce by half in women given supplemental calcium. (4)

Magnesium

This mineral, which is found in soybeans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fish, has long been valued in treating migraines because it acts as a muscle relaxant. It is considered one of the most promising nutrients in headache research. (5) In a 1996 German study of 81 migraine patients published in the headache journal Cephalgia, 41.6 percent of subjects taking oral magnesium reduced both the duration and intensity of migraine attacks. They also reduced their reliance on medications to control their migraines. (6)'

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Glucosamine sulfate has been shown to be effective in reducing arthritis pain, which may be due to its ability to repair joints. (7) Used together, glucosamine and chondroiten can reduce joint pain and may help build new cartilage, according to a study at Boston University School of Medicine. The treatment worked so well for Jason Theodosakis, M.D., who suffered from severe osteoarthritis, that he is now medication free.

Fatty Acids

American researchers suggest that a combination of magnesium taurate and fish oil may help prevent migraine headaches, based on the ability of both to reduce blood vessel spasms. (8)

A 1997 study showed that gamma-linolenic (GLA) and alpha-linolenic (ALA) fatty acid supplements reduced the severity, frequency and duration of total migraine attacks by 86 percent. During the six month study, 22 percent of the 169 patients no longer had migraine attacks, and 90 percent experienced less nausea and vomiting. (9)

Arnica

This anti-inflammatory action of arnica can be used topically to ease the pain of bruises and sprains.

Calendula

Calendula is an excellent herb for most skin disorders, including diaper rash, sun burns, bruises and insect stings and bites. It has a soothing effect on irritated skin by reducing inflammation and combating infection.

Cayenne Pepper

Cayenne contains capsaicin, which stimulates the brain to secrete endorphins that help block pain signals. A recent trial showed that cayenne helped reduce arthritis pain (10)

Chamomile

Chamomile contains bisabolol, which has anti-inflammatory properties and relaxes the muscle lining of the digestive tract. Several studies indicate that chamomiles is a good digestive aid.

Feverfew

Feverfew prevents and treats migraine headaches by inhibiting the production of inflammatory substances. In a 1988 randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in Lancet, feverfew treatment was associated with reduction in the mean number and severity of migraine attacks. (11)

Ginger

An herb that is reported to stimulate blood circulation, which helps to heal skin irritations such as cuts, insect bites and stings and bruises. It is a strong antioxidant and is an effective anti-microbial agent for sores and wounds.

Ginkgo Biloba

Ginkgo biloba extracts have been shown to reduce leg pain (12)

Peppermint

Peppermint can be used to soothe digestive pain. "Peppermint is probably our best-known remedy for stomach problems," says herb researcher Daniel B. Mowrey. It owes its healing power to an aromatic oil called menthol.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #89
Jaydaan

Peppermint Essential Oil: - has many therapeutic uses and may be used for a wide variety of conditions including respiratory and digestive conditions as well as musculo-skeletal pain. Used in massage, peppermint has strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties and also assists in promoting blood flow to the affected areas. On the emotional level, the aroma of peppermint oil will relax and refresh the mind as well as the body, helping to uplift the spirits and restore courage and mental focus.

Ginger Essential Oil: - obtained from the root of the ginger plant, ginger, like peppermint, is a highly versatile medicinal plant with thousands of years of therapeutic history. The oil is warming and toning and has particular application to all musculo-skeletal conditions, soothing pains and aches and also helping to reduce fever. Inhalation of ginger also helps to boost tired spirits and strengthen resolve.

Pine Essential Oil: - In traditional herbal medicine, the shoots of young pine trees were used during bathing to treat rheumatism, promote circulation and relieve nervous fatigue. Therapeutically, pine essential oil is very effective in relieving the pain caused by conditions such as arthritis, rheumatism and gout and promotes circulation. Strongly recommended in the treatment of post surgical or post illness fatigue, pine oil is refreshing and helps to lift the spirits.

Carrier base consists of arachis, wheatgerm, almond and grapeseed oil. These carrier oils are also chosen for their nourishing and healing properties.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #90
Jaydaan

I did not find any groups, in my area that helped deal with my pain. I wanted a way to deal with it, or remove it from my life, NOT hearing about how everyone else was tired, sick, depressed and so on. So I went and found out all kinds of information on my own.

I have used with great sucess: Aromatherapy, changing my eating habits, heat therapy meditaion, light exercise, Shamhalla multi-dimensional healing, crystal healing, Chakra balancing and positive attitude.

The attitude was the hardest! Getting out of the "I am depressed, because I am in pain, and in pain because I am depressed" circle was difficult. I gave up on whole days, years ago. I even went to 15 min increments. Then gradually went up to hours, then a portion of the day ( before breakfast, then after breakfast, until lunch... etc) and now, years later I am on full days. I am still fighting pain, it has not gone away. But now I can look at it differently. More... "ohhh.. did a bit too much yesterday, and am very sore, so today I will work on the computer, have a bath, and mellow." This is not something I should do to deal... its my JOB, in order to bounce back.

My faith in the Goddess, and knowing she will not give me anything I can not handle in one way shape or form, remembering my mood DOES effect my children and deciding to enjoy this life has helped me. I hope.. in time, something you stumble across, will allow you to have the relief from pain enough to enjoy what this life has to offer you. Your posts are usually quite enjoyable, and I hope something someone offers helps you deal with the hand this life has dealt you.