The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #361
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

In late 2001, I began delving into the work of the great Miles Davis. I've been a peripheral fan for some time, but have picked up several of his releases (6, actually) since right after Xmas 2001.

Columbia Records (where Miles spent 30 years) began remastering and re-releasing (and adding "new" tracks) to his albums in the late 90s, in addition to creating several new compilations and box sets. As I've mentioned previously, these remasters sound incredible...if played on a good stereo, you sound like you're there hanging out with him. They also have a microsite dedicated to all the releases.

Having said that, I've recently picked up:

Bitches Brew: Wow...talk about being out there. Good stuff though...very interesting approach.

The Complete Birth of the Cool: Blue Note/Capitol (where Miles spent the late 40s and early 50s) has also done some re-releasing. This version of Birth of the Cool includes the original 11 songs, one bonus track, and then 12 cuts from 2 live performances in NYC in 1948. Absolutely stunning. To me, this album is a perfect example of classic jazz. Miles had just struck out on his own as a bandleader at this time, and it is nothing short of brilliant.

mmesker, you'll be pleased to know that for Xmas, I got The Videos: 86>98 and One Night in Paris: The Exciter Tour 2001 on DVD. You should pick them up...awesome stuff.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #362
wolf
lobber of scimitars

While you're in your jazz phase, syc, do yourself a wee little favor.

Seek out any cd by Django Reinhardt. Fantastic prewar jazz guitarist.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:45 PM   #363
elSicomoro

I've heard of him, though I am not familiar with any of his work. I'll definitely have to check him out.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #364
dave

<b>Disturbed - Believe</b> - damn fine album. Better than the first, I reckon.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #365
elSicomoro

I saw that at Best Buy last night, and completely forgot that they recently put that out. I liked their first CD quite a bit.

I also contemplated getting the new Zwan CD, but I've only heard one track from it thus far. I hope no one rushes out to buy it just b/c it's Billy Corgan. From what I understand of this new band, if people go out and buy it for that reason (Billy), they will be disappointed. Especially given:

1--It's not SP.

2--The last 3 SP albums were less than stellar, IMO.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:27 AM   #366
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
mmesker, you'll be pleased to know that for Xmas, I got The Videos: 86>98 and One Night in Paris: The Exciter Tour 2001 on DVD. You should pick them up...awesome stuff.
Awesome! I've got the Singles videos on VHS and the old, single disc DVD, so I really have no need to buy it a THIRD time. But I've been eyeing that Paris DVD since it came out over the summer... So it's good?

I'm sorta of saving my DVD-buying money/paying off my credit card bill enough to order the New Order live DVDs (Reading '98 & Finsbury Park 2002) from Amazon.co.uk. They look pretty sweet, and they'll only get a US release once I pay too much for the imported Region 2 ones.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:43 AM   #367
elSicomoro

Yes indeedy. Great stuff...lots of extras. (Which also goes for the Singles DVDs as well)

You have a region 2 player?
Old 02-02-2003, 03:55 AM   #368
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Winamp is currently feeding to my headphones:

Boards of Canada - Music has the right to Children
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Nightmares on Wax - Carboot Soul

I can't listen to Nine Inch Nails anymore; I can't get that angsty anymore. I have all of the albums safely saved in my Nine Inch Nails folder for the day I am again. It's always fun to blast "Satan" from the Spawn sounstrack now and then.

I'm in a ambient groove/triphop phase right now.

Scred: SomaFM - Groove Salad! Yes! This is where my phase started about a year ago.

Last edited by Uryoces; 02-02-2003 at 05:17 AM.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #369
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I wandered into the triphop section of audiogalaxy rhapsody one day (a streaming audio $ervice) and couldn't find my way out. I've been going for the sophisticated stuff, adult pop like Everything But the Girl and Hooverphonic and Morcheeba.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #370
dave

...and I miss you... like the deserts miss the rain...
Old 02-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #371
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
You have a region 2 player?
No, I can get my computer to play them though.

I haven't bought a regular DVD player yet, but region-free hacking is probably the #1 feature I'd look for.
Old 02-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #372
elSicomoro

Morcheeba just put a new CD out, if I recall correctly. They were on either Jay Leno or Conan last week...I don't remember. They're alright...they did some work on one of David Byrne's solo album, and it was really good.

The region code thing is so irritating...it's like NTSC and PAL. I'll have to see if I get to the point where I want to buy a bunch of shit from Europe, then go from there.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #373
dave

<b>System of a Down - Steal This Album!</b> - I'm pretty impressed with this CD. I've always liked System of a Down, and this is more of the same - though I think they do a bit better on the slow songs. "Roulette" is especially impressive. A good CD to drive around to.

<b>Chevelle - Wonder What's Next</b> - I got this at Target for $8. Obviously I bought it for their big-play radio song "The Red", which is, to my ears, a superb song. The rest of the CD is actually pretty good. There are a few songs that I really really dig, but the names escape me at the moment. I figure anyone that likes "The Red" can shell out $8 for it, though. It's worth it.

<b>Saliva - Back Into Your System</b> - I'm trying really hard to like this. I bought this the other night 'cause I hadn't bought CDs in a while and I like their big-play radio song "Always". Well... the CD just doesn't hold me yet, but I'm not totally blaming it. However, avoid the big steaming turd of a title track. Wow is it awful.

I also got <b>Seether - Disclaimer</b> and <b>Lifehouse - No Name Face</b>. Their radio-play songs are obviously pretty good, and I've been listening to those, but not the rest of the albums so much. I'll say more about 'em when I've listened more. But they haven't stood out as sucky either, so that's a good thing, I think.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #374
elSicomoro

I don't know if Dave actually bought that new SOAD CD or not, but if he did, I'm going to venture a guess and say he got the CD face created by Daron...because that seems like something Dave would do.

My favorite song off that CD is probably "Ego Brain," though "Chic N' Stu" and "36" are righteous as well.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:29 PM   #375
dave

er... i dunno. There was no liner. Just the CD in the jewel case. I don't remember which one it was. I just picked it up.

And yes, I did pay for it.