The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

What Surprised you today?

I called the hospital radiology dept to get a hard copy of an x-ray taken 2 months ago. The phone was answered by a real person who took the d-o-b and name and then said it would be waiting for me to pick-up in 30 minutes. Less than a minute on the phone. Incredible. It took me a lot longer than that to find the number I needed to call.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
monster

....and yes, I will be reporting my happiness in their service...when I find out how.... bet that takes hours...... ;0
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Surprising me was the presence of a surprising me post in the Chubbiness is Next to Godliness thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
monster

hehehe
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I was checking the yahoo headlines that come up next to my email, and saw this headline:

Harper Beckham takes first steps

I felt mildly annoyed. How is this news? Grrr. I was going to post it here as an example of non-news, but when I went to the article it was really cute! And I found myself smiling instead.

http://uk.omg.yahoo.com/gossip/googo...131953391.html
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

In light of the murders in Colorado, I was surprised to find
the Comcast schedule today has Tom Cruise's movie "Minority Report"
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Rain at 100 degrees, with no thunderstorm.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was surprised by all the effing yahoos who lined up around the local Chik-Fil-A to "show support" for their anti-gay views.

I don't know WHY I was surprised. This IS Ohio. This IS the buckle of the damn Bible Belt. Oh, how I despise the Christian Right. They make me sick. I need to move away to a better, more tolerant, accepting, loving planet. Or Cape Cod - either one. And I'd gladly take my chances with the Great Whites circling the Cape rather than wrangle with these hillbillies in Hush puppies as they smugly scarf their fucking fried chicken. May they choke upon it. May they be smoted by the great FSM who rules us all! Jesus was never married; Jesus never even had a girl friend! Jesus hung out with dudes his whole freaking life!!!! Looks like Jesus was...teh ghey, right?

It's sickening, sickening.

OK. I need to take a deep, cleansing breath.

then drive down to Chik-Fil-A and french kiss the first woman I see and tell her that she turned me gay and ask her "Where's your god NOW bitch?!"
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 08-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
then drive down to Chik-Fil-A and french kiss the first woman I see and tell her that she turned me gay and ask her "Where's your god NOW bitch?!"
Must
see
video
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

I helped interview 4 job candidates today. Good surprises: the quality of the portfolios and the various talents exposed. Bad surprise: how out of line the qualities I was looking for in a gen ed co-teacher are with those of the two other interviewers. I find a teachers affect to be a very important quality at the pre-k level while the other interviewers seemed unconcerned about hiring folks who don't appear to have the soft skills. Imma sleep on this and maybe go back to the boss with my concern. I felt like the folks we chose had my skills (something lacking in other classrooms), I think I need someone who complements rather than mirrors. I'm not sure if this is a male/female thing? I could just be mourning my previous team.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I if were hiring a pre-K teacher, one part fo the process would be to put the candidates in a room with 8 pre-K kids and see how the kids react.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Nirvana
Back in 10

As much as I am annoyed[sickened] by bigotry the right to free speech trumps stupidity.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
... Jesus was never married; Jesus never even had a girl friend! Jesus hung out with dudes his whole freaking life!!!! Looks like Jesus was...teh ghey, right?
[/i]
NSFW lyrics
"I hang out with lepers, Barabbas, and Salome,
Jesus' friends are called "apostles"
Those dudes are totally gay.

Jesus performs miracles from Galilee to Rome
but it would be a miracle if he brought a fuckin' lady home..."

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I if were hiring a pre-K teacher, one part fo the process would be to put the candidates in a room with 8 pre-K kids and see how the kids react.
It would be nice.
I've got my head around to "hey all the behavior work won't be on me" and I'll have to grow. Maybe a good thing.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #15
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
I was surprised by all the effing yahoos who lined up around the local Chik-Fil-A to "show support" for their anti-gay views.

I don't know WHY I was surprised. This IS Ohio. This IS the buckle of the damn Bible Belt. Oh, how I despise the Christian Right. They make me sick. I need to move away to a better, more tolerant, accepting, loving planet. Or Cape Cod - either one. And I'd gladly take my chances with the Great Whites circling the Cape rather than wrangle with these hillbillies in Hush puppies as they smugly scarf their fucking fried chicken. May they choke upon it. May they be smoted by the great FSM who rules us all! Jesus was never married; Jesus never even had a girl friend! Jesus hung out with dudes his whole freaking life!!!! Looks like Jesus was...teh ghey, right?

It's sickening, sickening.

OK. I need to take a deep, cleansing breath.

I read this on Americablog today...it's perfect.
Quote:
God is in the nuggets

The God of Gluttony smiled upon all those waddling through long lines at Chick-fil-a Wednesday to celebrate their pride in being heterosexual, bigoted and obese.

Sitting in their idling cars with the AC running, they waited their turn to take communion in the form of a typical American factory-farmed chicken breast laced with all the natural goodness of antibiotics, Benadryl, and arsenic (sorry, "organic" arsenic), then rolled in white flour, powdered sugar, butter, salt and deep fried.

In a culture that readily accepts highly-processed substances as "food," it was only a matter of time before we found people going to the same trough to meet their other needs, from spirituality to political expression.

In a matter of days, we've seen the meteoric rise of a brand new symbol of moral righteousness: the greasy fast food bag. Long thought of as mere garbage, this former agent of death is now the exulted symbol of a desperate people's moral compass (life imitates art). Politicians like Sarah Palin and Lindsey Graham proudly pose with it (oblivious to how gay their photo opps actually came off). I imagine Republicans will soon be signing pledges of loyalty to their chicken god.

The scenes were repulsive. Supposedly civilized people turning to the drive-through window for a super-sized order of malnutrition, warped spirituality, and bigoted political discourse. (Obesity and arteriosclerosis all being part of God's plan, praise the Lord.)

Though not a God you or I might be familiar with. Rather, a cheap fast-faith God who shares their prejudices, along with free refills of hate and intolerance.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote