The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
spiker
Non-Newbie Sort

Welfare to kids of illegals in LA County costs $276 million per year

Source:
LA Daily News - Los Angeles
http://www.dailynews.com

Welfare to kids of illegals at $276 million
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_3751199

BY Staff Writer TROY ANDERSON mailto:troy.anderson@dailynews.com
Ph: (213) 974-8985

Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said Tuesday that he will tell Congress that close to 100,000 children of illegal immigrants in the county collect $276 million in annual welfare benefits.

Antonovich, who is in Washington with the Board of Supervisors, will meet with congressional representatives and provide information about the impact of illegal immigration on county services.

Antonovich said 98,703 children of 57,458 undocumented parents received Cal-WORKS welfare checks in January, or a total of 156,161 recipients.

"If incorporated into a city, it would be the sixth-largest city in Los Angeles County," Antonovich said in a statement Tuesday. "While legal immigration is a positive influence on our culture and economy ... in public safety, health care and public social services, illegals cost county taxpayers nearly three quarters of a billion dollars a year."

Shirley Christensen, spokeswoman for the Department of Public Social Services, said her office provided the data to Antonovich.

"What I want to make clear is the children we aid are legally eligible to be aided," Christensen said. "They are the children of undocumented parents, but they themselves are not undocumented. They were born in this country."

Antonovich's comments come amid a debate in Congress and across the nation about illegal immigration.

No reliable studies have been conducted on the economic impact illegal immigrants have on California government budgets, according to a study by the Public Policy Institute of California.

In 2004, the Government Accountability Office concluded there was insufficient information to establish the costs to states of educating illegal immigrant children.

Some in the immigration debate say illegal immigrants are a drain on public coffers. Others say illegal immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in services.

Illegal immigrants are not eligible for many government services, but they can use the public health care system and their U.S.-born children are eligible for welfare.
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
billybob
pseudointellectual antipodean omnivore

All children born in the United States are considered citizens of the United States, with the same rights and responsibilities that you have.

Staff Writer TROY ANDERSON Should not be a journalist if he can't get his facts right.What a dick.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Whose phone number is that? The reporter?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob
All children born in the United States are considered citizens of the United States, with the same rights and responsibilities that you have.
Not all children of illegal immigrants were born here....and if the illegals weren't here, their kids wouldn't be born here.

And I note in passing that NZ has just changed their laws to the effect that chiildren born in-country don't automatically become NZ citizens unless at least one parent is a citizen.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
rkzenrage

Illegal is illegal... period. But, since we all don't wanna' know what the gov't doin' and we don't care how many of our people are living below poverty...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
billybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Not all children of illegal immigrants were born here....and if the illegals weren't here, their kids wouldn't be born here.

And I note in passing that NZ..
Get a life.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
billybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
[center]Illegal is illegal... period.
from the article....

"What I want to make clear is the children we aid are legally eligible to be aided,"

So....kids who are entitled to aid are getting it.Hardly a story, but in the current frenzy against anyone vaguely Mexican, if you put a dollar value next to the words 'Illegal Immigrants', the lowest common denominator is onto it like flies round a trailer park.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
mjohncoady
Lost in Mexico

Cool Chump change

Hmm.... Let me understand this. The article that began this thread reports some official whining about spending $276 million to feed and clothe children in a country than can afford to borrow $350 billion per year to fund tax cuts for its wealthiest citizens. If I were one of those citizens, this is certainly the issue I would want at the forefront of national attention.
mjohncoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
billybob

Actually, I am curious. This thread is nothing more than a cut/paste of a news article.The thread starter offers no comment or debate. The thread starter has only three posts to his credit, all new threads, and all pushing the same barrow. Outside of this issue, spiker does not exist at the cellar.

Who is spiker and what does he want?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohncoady
Hmm.... Let me understand this. The article that began this thread reports some official whining about spending $276 million to feed and clothe children in a country than can afford to borrow $350 billion per year to fund tax cuts for its wealthiest citizens. If I were one of those citizens, this is certainly the issue I would want at the forefront of national attention.
That's $276m just in L.A. County. Believe me, that tax cut is in the forefront of the people it benefits, being an election year.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
MaggieL

Quote:
Who is spiker and what does he want?
Aren't you on record as being against noob bashing? Or is that only when it's you?

Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
mjohncoady
Lost in Mexico

Butter and Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's $276m just in L.A. County. Believe me, that tax cut is in the forefront of the people it benefits, being an election year.
You are certainly correct and I suspect that a large chunk of those billions in tax cuts ends up in the hands of the citizens of L.A. County. Send all of those horrible undocumented workers back home and save the $276 million. Our grandchildren's grandchildren will still be paying off the remaining billions of debt long after we have gone. The phrase is, I believe, penny-wise, pound foolish. It is, however, much easier to take candy from a baby than a BMW from a realtor or a stockbroker.
mjohncoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
MaggieL

Quote:
Get a life.
Look it up, Scooter. Children of non-citizens won't be citizens in NZ, no matter where they're born. Didn't want to repeat that part, eh?

Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
billybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Aren't you on record as being against noob bashing? Or is that only when it's you?

Will you stop distorting my posts you stupid little bigot?

I asked who he is and what he wants,that is NOT noob bashing. Noob bashing is when the site bitch decides that she doesn't like being questioned on her continuous slagging of anyone who disagrees with her and launches into a prolonged and pointless attack on someone who has done nothing more than ask her a few simple queestions that she's too scared or stupid to answer honestly.

Get a fucking life, woman. You are boring as all hell.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 AM   #15
MaggieL

Quote:
.. launches into a prolonged and pointless attack on someone who has done nothing more than ask her a few simple queestions
A simple review of the immigration threads makes it abundantly clear who specializes in personal attacks and who does and doesn't answer simple questions. It must be incredibly frustrating for you that your seemigly endless calumny hasn't provoked me into responding in kind.