The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Congress Wasting Time & Money

Look at the BullShit that Congress is wasting our money on.
Superstition, Bigotry, Hate and the desire to see others continue to suffer because they cannot understand separation of church and state (others in there fly in the face of that as well); as well as their ignorance of how the research is done...
Where is ending hunger, obtaining better and more health care for the needy, helping the US farmers, economic reform, state's rights, etc, etc, etc...?
America does not deserve to last.

Upcoming Congressional Bills -
Senate: Fetus Farming Prohibition Act of 2006
Senate: Alternative Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies Enhancement Act
Senate: Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act
House: Marriage Protection Amendment
House: Pledge Protection Act
House: U.S.-Oman Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act
Old 07-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
warch
lurkin old school

Ummmmm...I think support for Stem Cell research is pretty exciting and a good investment, myself. It will probably be Bush's first veto, though.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Ibby
erika

My friend Ben once wrote a song entitled "Bush-It".

I'll have to look him up.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
rkzenrage

That is what I am talking about, there is a huge amount of resistance.
Also, the language in the "farming" act cripples any decent stem cell research. They don't want cells cloned or expired invitro cells used, they would rather they be thrown away.
Again, monkeys screaming at science.
History will not be kind to the US during this time and we deserve it.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
rkzenrage

Arizona Ballot Could Become Lottery Ticket

See? This is why we need to end. We had a good run, but it's over.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
That is what I am talking about, there is a huge amount of resistance.
But it is still getting some play, I think its a good step. Is raising the issue (granted only for local reelection campaigning use) and challenging the far right position a waste of time and money? its a debate that needs to happen and it might get a push. There's always resistance. I think it may bode well in the longer run.

Of the list of dumb issues addressed, it stands out as potential progress.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
rkzenrage

That is a good point... my perspective is colored by the responses and votes I get from my reps on that topic as well as the fact that there is a vote right next to it meant to remove as much viability from it as possible by the opposition. Again, "how much can we ensure that as many people as possible suffer and do not benefit from this breakthrough".

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-17-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

I'm going to play devils advocate on this one and prepose that they aren't screaming at science as much as being firmly entrenched in the idea that this is going to get way out of control once you officially allow it. The biggest part of the process that raises peoples blood pressure is the cloning of humans. It does boil down to that at some level even though the idea of embryos-as-humans has been screamed at by abortionists for the last few decades.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
The biggest part of the process that raises peoples blood pressure is the cloning of humans. It does boil down to that at some level even though the idea of embryos-as-humans has been screamed at by abortionists for the last few decades.
IOW emotion - not facts - are only important.

Just had a discussion with a religious extremist. I asked if a gunman was standing right here and shooting 30 people across the parking lot, then what would he do. He said he would pray for the gunman. That prayer hopefully would stop the gunman. I told him he so hated those 30 people as to let them die. If so, it was god's will.

I would physically attack the gunman. He then said that was wrong because I might die. I asked him why he though prayer would do anything. He said that prayer might stop the gunman from shooting the rest of those 30 people.

These are same people opposed to science and research. No wonder Hitler could also brain wash these people into hating races inferior to Aryans. He would pray to god to stop the gunman. He also said evolution could not exist because he just knew. Also called brainwashing. No wonder the Federal Judge found that religious extremists would take an oath on the bible and still outright lie in open court - in violation of the Ten Commandments. And they would still call themselves good religious people? Yes, he even endorsed torture in Guantanamo and saw no relation to the Spanish Inquisition.

Remember these people vote because most centrists do not. These are the people who will even reelect Rick Santorum. History suggest that most member of The Cellar will not vote – therefore approve of leaders who should pray rather than stop the gunman.

Last edited by tw; 07-20-2006 at 07:23 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
9th Engineer

wow, ummmm. what the heck are you talking about?

btw, most people do let emotion rule certain decisions. It would make logical sense in many ways to clone and genetically modify humans so-as to improve ourselves. However, for many people this undermines our basic worth. They don't want to see people viewed as just a strand of DNA.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
rkzenrage

Which is what we are.... makes no sense.
Some good news.

AMERICANS UNITED APPLAUDS DEFEAT OF FEDERAL MARRIAGE AMENDMENT

House Marriage Vote Was ‘Political Theater,’ Says AU’s Lynn

Americans United for Separation of Church and State lauded today’s defeat of a federal marriage amendment in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The House voted 236 to 187 in favor of H.J.Res. 88, falling short of the two-thirds necessary to advance a constitutional amendment.

“The marriage amendment would have wedded religion and government, and we are delighted it failed to muster enough support in the House,” said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United. “This was an unwise attempt to enshrine in the Constitution one religious definition of marriage.”

Lynn noted that a similar amendment was defeated last month in the Senate, thereby making today’s vote irrelevant.

“This was nothing but political theatre,” said Lynn. “The amendment was already dead for this session, following the Senate’s action in June. Today’s vote was a transparent effort by the House leadership to give members running for reelection something to distract voters from unpleasant realities such as the war and energy costs.”

The so-called “Marriage Protection Amendment” was introduced by Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colo.). It declares, “Marriage in the United States shall consist of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.”

Americans United is a religious liberty watchdog group based in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1947, the organization educates Americans about the importance of church-state separation in safeguarding religious freedom.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
9th Engineer

Really? Carefull with the simplifications there. Just because it's a component doesn't make us lumps of DNA
Old 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Ridgeplate
Zen Laxatives: "This too shall pass..."

But we *are* just lumps of DNA. What these butt-scootching morons seem to be unable to grasp is that we are greater than the sum of our parts. Our physical composition no more defines us as aware entities than the presence of a carburetor defines an object as a Buick Skylark.

Whether we evolved or were designed makes no difference in the end. We are what we are. It is my enduring hope that we end up not being defined by those whom we let make the rules. Oh, we're still responsible, I just hope we aren't considered *like* them...

Let me say that again... "butt-scootching".
Ridgeplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeplate
"butt-scootching"
I'm stealing that.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Look at the BullShit that Congress is wasting our money on.
You dare question the basic function of the US Congress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Superstition, Bigotry, Hate and the desire to see others continue to suffer because they cannot understand separation of church and state
So many of the issues swirling in and out of debate in congress are purely serving as a base to point fingers in the upcoming election, pure and simple. Except, in the last serveral years, I've noticed that more of the hot button issues like gay marriage and proposals of a religious nature swamp the news and voter opinion polls so heavily that they successfully push all of the genuine issues from the media. In the last presidential election, I heard more argument and debate involving gay marriage than anything involving the war or the constitution. The more congress debates emotional issues that the public has a tough time ignoring, the more people simply accept the changes taking place in basic law and world policy. Talk of the Iraq war, The PATRIOT Act, geneva convention violations, wiretapping issues, etc, are repeatedly pushed from the spotlight until people begin to shrug and say things like, "the government was probably already doing it, anyway", "this bit of bad is probably part of a bigger picture we don't see and goals we cannot comprehend", and "these small changes in policy don't affect me or my family, directly."

Everytime a truly threatening, major issue comes up, some local lawmaker proposes some bullshit law that "defines/protects American values" (marriage), tackles an old issue that has been a problem for many years (illegal immigration), or puts some other petty shit that is blatantly unconstitutional (flag desecration law). The hotly emotional issue is thrust into the spotlight and possibly to the supreme court while smaller changes are descretely made and the public turns their heads from massive global issues. They're boiling a frog, here.

Really, don't you think the public has become unusually comfortable in recent years with a war that will never end, CIA/NSA domestic spying, and a government and military above the law? Don't let any of those issues distract you from the huge percentage of the population that is threatening the tiny minority of christians in this country with their efforts to "ban" prayer from public schools.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote