The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-23-2003, 01:18 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How much to eat a mealworm larva?

I saw this subject studied in a similar way on Usenet, once, waaaay long ago. Worth considering again.

A mealworm is the larva of a little beetle, you've probably seem them:

Birds like to eat 'em.

But in this case the question is directed at YOU, dear reader... how much money would it take to convince you to eat one of these?

You could assume that the larva was raised in a sterile environment. It would be live. It would move around in a larval sort of way. You'd have to swallow it. Chewing is optional.

Assuming that a representative was standing by with a huge truck full of US dollars, and would pay you on the spot in cash money, no strings attached. How much to down the bugger?

This is not a test, it's nothing deep, just a simple question.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:39 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Mmmmmmm G'ACH!

(or however the heck you transliterate that Klingon dish which is composed entirely of live squirmy looking things like this).

To borrow from Dr. Evil™ ...

"one mill ... uh, I mean 10 BILLION dollars." (you are talking about just one small one, right?)

I would not be a good candidate for Fear Factor. We occasionally have it on at work. I have seen and dealt with a lot of icky things. Eviscerations lead me to say things like "Wow, cool!"

I see the folks on that show do stupid things in relative safety from high places and have a strong sense of vertigo.

When the task involves eating gooey things, that's it, I'm DONE. I nearly lost my dinner watching them drink the ostrich eggs the other week. Hell, I couldn't deal with that scene in Rocky.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

This thread cannot go forward without at least one reference to this.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 AM   #4
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

The truck and contents therein, minus cash for a cab back to civilization. I see no reason to trouble them with the hassle of getting more.

That said, I have no idea how much I'd dislike the act itself. I've been known to mistakenly chew on things that, in retrospect (and better lighting) were rather gross. With something as small as a single worm, it seems viable to just swallow it down quickly and worry about how weird it felt/generally gross the idea itself is later.

If what you're asking is what the minimum is, well. I doubt I'd go to the trouble for less than 1k.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:16 AM   #5
dave

Yeah, it seems kind of like a waste for less than $1,000. I couldn't be bothered for that much.

I'd definitely do it for a million, but I'd try and push it up to a billion or so.... just 'cause I'm pretty sure I could live comfortably with that much money.

Yeah, I'd probably put my starting price at $5,000.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:40 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Prolly 5 bucks if I can chase it with a beer. When I was a kid almost everything made me gag- beans, carrots, peas, so I developed my liquid immersion technique which allows me to eat almost anything. Does this have anything to do with your loss of orafice control yesterday or did subway finally poison you?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
dave

Nothing to do with it. Just seems like too much to do for not enough money. What a hassle!

I had eaten Pizza Hut the night before; namely, Caesar Salad. I think that's what did it. Imagine stomach acid and ranch dressing. That was the taste. It was foul. Much worse than I imagine that larva would be.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:49 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Pizza Hut is on my banned list. No good comes from that place even when they don't poison you.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I didn't post my own price. I think I'd go for about $30.

OK, the discomfort is temporary, it's not going to kill me, and all of the disgust is in the mind. We wind up eating a lot of really, truly disgusting things that we don't even know about and it doesn't hurt us. Yup, $30.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:00 PM   #10
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

I think it depends upon the age (and preconceived notions) of the person being challenged. For example, my kids ate worms for free this summer at nature camp. OK, they were roasted, but to add to the overall experience, they dug 'em up themselves, prepared them and cooked them. They also got to try 'em dipped in chocolate.

There is possibly no amount of chocolate or money that could induce me to do this, whereas I actually paid for them to enjoy this experience!
Old 01-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

I'd go for $100. With that I could get, like, a nice pair of shoes. I would chew too, cause I couldnt take the lingering thought of live movement. I would request lime, salt and a tequila/mezcal chaser, cause nothing goes with larve like mezcal.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 10:34 PM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I'm thinking about $50. Maybe less, maybe more depending on the attitude of the person paying the money. I took Nyquil last night, and it can't be worse than that. Not the cherry, the original, Green Liquid Death Flavor. I figure if you're not sick enough to deal with the taste of that then you're not sick enough to take medicine.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:06 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think you guys are all selling yourselves short. I want the whole truckload of money. :P

Old 01-24-2003, 05:26 AM   #14
dave

Whit -

Dayquil is way worse. WAY worse. Good lord.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:43 AM   #15
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Dayquil does indeed suck. Not only does it taste really bad, it's not nearly as effective as Nyquil. Given a choice between Dayquil and the meal worm I'll go with the worm. Still, Dayquil is still preferable to an Adam Sandler movie. Though I will admit that the one that's about to come out with Jack Nickleson looks pretty good.

Last edited by Whit; 01-24-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote