Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #61
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Philosophy of a True Conservative, Today

A problem is presented... today
Then, 6 of the 7 the next replies by Dwellars include the word "sorry"

But the true conservative responds in post #2:

"This is not a "just world".
"Don't rely on the meds alone - rely on yourself, and try to wean yourself off the meds."
"you should have learned a few of these, along with your meds."
"Tell yourself not to accept being depressed and morose, and act like you're happy, anyway."
"Adapt and overcome, and don't depend on others to make it easy for you"
"Good luck in your pursuits!"

In 7 words, the philosophy of the true conservative, today: Just suck it up, and fix yourself.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #62
glatt

"pull yourself up by your bootstraps."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #63
infinite monkey

I was thinking the same thing. It totally relates to the 47% crap.

I was angry earlier but I wanted to say what I wanted to say to Ibby and felt that "pull yourself up" conservative could kiss my ass.

But you guys made me think of it again. It's that conservative imagined superiority: whatever is wrong with you (if the same isn't wrong with me) it's all your fault.

Now, go talk yourself out of your cancer and your broken leg, you lazy bass tard.

Then I also figured Adak was going to present himself as somewhat of a medical professional too, so he'll have something else to know everything about once Romney is defeated.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #64
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It totally relates to the 47% crap.

I was angry earlier but I wanted to say what I wanted to say to Ibby and felt that "pull yourself up" conservative could kiss my ass.

But you guys made me think of it again. It's that conservative imagined superiority: whatever is wrong with you (if the same isn't wrong with me) it's all your fault.

Now, go talk yourself out of your cancer and your broken leg, you lazy bass tard.

Then I also figured Adak was going to present himself as somewhat of a medical professional too, so he'll have something else to know everything about once Romney is defeated.
It's not "superiority", it's FREEDOM. It's LIBERTY. You can't have freedom or liberty, without also taking responsibility - or do you want the gov't to take that from you, as well?

Of course, you need doctors when you're sick - but when you're in the prime years of your life, you should also be able to work through your anxieties and depression, at least somewhat, without relying on a daily dose of meds.

You expect her to go through her life drugged every day, even though she can't afford it? That doesn't sound like a winning plan to me.

Taking care of your life, is like growing a garden:

*YOU have to prepare the ground, not a bureaucrat from Washington

*YOU have to plant the seeds

*YOU have to water and pull out the weeds, and keep the pests away.

YOU - not a federal bureaucrat, have to take care of your garden, and YOU should have the food it produces - not the gov't.

You probably believe this is an insane idea, but for most people, it's common sense. And it's VERY efficient. Central control from the gov't will

NEVER

grow a garden as well as you can.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #65
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The Philosophy of a True Conservative, Today

A problem is presented... today
Then, 6 of the 7 the next replies by Dwellars include the word "sorry"

But the true conservative responds in post #2:

"This is not a "just world".
"Don't rely on the meds alone - rely on yourself, and try to wean yourself off the meds."
"you should have learned a few of these, along with your meds."
"Tell yourself not to accept being depressed and morose, and act like you're happy, anyway."
"Adapt and overcome, and don't depend on others to make it easy for you"
"Good luck in your pursuits!"

In 7 words, the philosophy of the true conservative, today: Just suck it up, and fix yourself.
Do you believe saying "sorry" will fix the woman's problems? Because I don't THINK so.

Do you believe the world is "fair and just"? Are you a child?

Do you believe Ibby has learned NOTHING, about dealing with her problem?

You have suggested NOTHING to help Ibby solve her problem.

Don't you think a person should be encouraged to try and solve their own problems?

Your common sense gets so lonely waiting for you.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #66
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
YOU - not a federal bureaucrat, have to take care of your garden
What if you are a federal bureaucrat? The biggest and nicest garden in my neighborhood is maintained by a federal bureaucrat. It's amazing how bountiful it is. I've talked at length with him about his tricks, and applied some of them to my own garden.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #67
infinite monkey

Quote:
It's not "superiority", it's FREEDOM. It's LIBERTY. You can't have freedom or liberty, without also taking responsibility - or do you want the gov't to take that from you, as well?

Of course, you need doctors when you're sick - but when you're in the prime years of your life, you should also be able to work through your anxieties and depression, at least somewhat, without relying on a daily dose of meds.

You expect her to go through her life drugged every day, even though she can't afford it? That doesn't sound like a winning plan to me.

Taking care of your life, is like growing a garden:

*YOU have to prepare the ground, not a bureaucrat from Washington

*YOU have to plant the seeds

*YOU have to water and pull out the weeds, and keep the pests away.

YOU - not a federal bureaucrat, have to take care of your garden, and YOU should have the food it produces - not the gov't.

You probably believe this is an insane idea, but for most people, it's common sense. And it's VERY efficient. Central control from the gov't will

NEVER

grow a garden as well as you can.
Wow.

Well thanks, but I tend my own garden (omg what a trite analogy) and all this waxing ineloquent has little to do with this reality you pretend to espouse. I know, right? That I have my own good job, and take care of my own life...and that I STILL have the audacity to believe that as a society it shouldn't be "i got mine now you get yours" is mind-boggling, isn't it? However, I know that I am not an exception to the rule.

Quote:
Funny, I don't recall saying anything of the kind. You grab onto talking points that don't actually exist in the post you are 'responding' to.

I say this with the sense of inner self that makes me realize I am lesser, that I do want to be just like you, that you have the answers...or at least the general idea of what the answers should be...and I and my god are completely envious of your insight.

Oh, and I'm The Great Sarcastic.

I do wonder where my like-minded fellows are when you post such an abberration, such an over the top conglomeration of disrespectful bullshit, in response to my comment?

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #68
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

I do wonder where my like-minded fellows are when you post such an abberration, such an over the top conglomeration of disrespectful bullshit, in response to my comment?

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?
God, Infi, give us time to respond eh?

Most posters appear to be taking Adak to task one way or another.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #69
infinite monkey

pblllttttt...

Aw come on...let me pout for a second, will you?

I woke up in the middle of the night and read that post and it's been running through my head ever since. (Between my dreams of losing my job and being stuck on some road that never ends...)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #70
infinite monkey

Besides, I wanted to draw attention to my witty response. Those get lost amongst pages of wax.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #71
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ha! Fairy Nuff
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #72
Lamplighter

Quote:
Do you believe saying "sorry" will fix the woman's problems? Because I don't THINK so.
Do you believe the world is "fair and just"? Are you a child?
Do you believe Ibby has learned NOTHING, about dealing with her problem?
You have suggested NOTHING to help Ibby solve her problem.
Don't you think a person should be encouraged to try and solve their own problems?
Your common sense gets so lonely waiting for you.
@Adek
Have I misquoted you ?
Is my summary incorrect ?
Quote:
But of course life is fair and just. How else does one explain their life-situation ?
For example: I chose my parents wisely. They are rich. Therefore, I deserve to be rich.
From this, it follows: Just suck it up, and fix yourself.

I think I am just following your line of reasoning.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #73
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
@Adek
Have I misquoted you ?
Is my summary incorrect ?

But of course life is fair and just. How else does one explain their life-situation ?
For example: I chose my parents wisely. They are rich. Therefore, I deserve to be rich.
From this, it follows: Just suck it up, and fix yourself.

I think I am just following your line of reasoning.
I see your sense of sarcasm has found it's way home, at least.

America is the land of opportunity, not the land of "fair and just" (and where might one view such a fantasy?).

When YOU are the gardener, YOU plant, YOU water, YOU weed, YOU take care of pests, YOU harvest the produce.

The guy down the block may give you tips, but it's YOU who will have to do the work - not a gov't employee - and it's YOU who should have the majority of the benefit from your work - not the gov't.

There's NOTHING wrong with people pulling themselves up by their bootstraps - seizing legal opportunities when they see them. People do that all the time - this IS the land of opportunity, after all

This is a big selling point for America, around the world, and has been, for over 200 years: America, land of opportunity.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #74
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
For the record, I decided on a Coventry stance awhile back. Dude's a troll and obviously has more time than I have energy. Please don't let my silence make you think I somehow support his foolishness.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #75
infinite monkey

Oh no, really i don't. I tried coventry because i agree with you vis a vis troll. But you know i can't help myself in that situation.

I didn't really think i was being universally ignored, i was mostly being an attention ho.