The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Global Warming 5 17.24%
Peak Oil 5 17.24%
Police State 12 41.38%
Terrorism 0 0%
Traditional Values Collapse 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

By the process of elimination, I had to vote for 'traditional values collapse'. Paranoid implies that there is no reason for concern.

Actually paranoia is defined as 'delusions of persecution', so technically only the police state and terrorism options are paranoid, assuming they aren't real.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

I was trying to get folks to acknowlege that much of what we fear is a function of our own thought processes being nudged one way or another by the media we choose to subject ourselves to, rather than a rational assessment of the threat.

Global Warming- We have not seen any new data to indicate that it is a threat but fatigue has set in, people are tired of pointing out the flaws in the arguments again and again especially when its just possible the global warming crowd may be right. (heh.. the Janus article called Katrina a climate event) Gore is releasing a new film to feed the paranoia, just in time for the Dems to make hay.

Peak Oil- We should eventually use up our oil reserves, unless the geologic processes for petroleum development are different than we assume. Is it a threat? No, it is an opportunity to move to fuels that are cleaner and don't involve releasing carbon that was stored (back to global warming). News magazines love to pimp this one, if we assume no one is working on the problem (opportunity), all kinds of magazine selling scenarios are possible. We should expect to see more government subsidies (ex: dead Marines) to protect oil companies who failed to become energy companies.

Police State- I am susceptable to this one because of my thought processes and what I read. We have two parties dedicated to the idea that individuals shouldn't make their own decisions and are incapable of protecting themselves. Will this nonsense ever really effect me? Probably not significantly, but this up-coming election cycle expect the Democrats to sell themselves as the antidote, if our system is self-correcting they will be successful. If our system really results in a ratchet effect we'll have to have a serious blow-out later.

Terrorism- Being all about fear, is the perfect tool for paranoia development. If we have a terrorist attack we need someone to save us. If we don't have an attack, we've been saved. The Republicans really need an attack right now because the "we've been saved" argument wears out faster.

Traditional Values Collapse- Who's values? Everyone has their own vision of this and is more or less suceptable to manipulation. Republicans find this one easier to manipulate but the Dems do a fair job themselves.

Who will win the next election? The outfit which exploits paranoia most effectively.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #19
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Who's values?
"Whose".

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

biotch!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:24 AM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

maggie has some sort of disorder. She will not-nay, cannot-allow a mispelling or grammatic error stand. She is actually your sixth grade English teacher come back from hell. And she's pissed!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's really funny considering the mistakes she makes.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
maggie has some sort of disorder. She will not-nay, cannot-allow a mispelling or grammatic error stand. She is actually your sixth grade English teacher come back from hell. And she's pissed!
Whom that be at?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 PM   #24
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
And anybody who wants a greenhouse gas, try water vapor. Abundant atmospheric water vapor is by itself the reason our Earth isn't an iceball.
Water vapor is self regulating - at a certain temperature, the air can only hold so much before it precipitates. The automatic regulation of CO2 is done by plant life, and we're knocking out the rainforests like gangbusters.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #25
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Has the news grown quiet on this, already? Where is "bird flu/H5N1" on that list?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Dagnabit! I knew I was missing a big one, but then again it has shrunk from the headlines.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:33 AM   #27
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
You ever see what happens when water molecules unde[r]go a phase change from gas to solid? It ain't pretty, I'm telling you, now. Don't ever visit Pluto in January, Big Guy.
Hmm. Which January? With an orbital period of 248.54 Earth years, each with its January, "embarrassment of riches" hardly scratches the surface.

Such phase change would evolve quite a bit of heat.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #28
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

I love to hate the Traditional Values Collapse hugh and cry, but I'd like to do a write-in - the old hit "Freemasons rule the world", or, in earlier times, "the Freemasons are poisoning the wells." I know, I know, those paranoid fantasies are old and done. BUT... My grandfather just happens to be of freemason bent, while my grandmother is a jack-boot Mormon. Which makes me, by heritage... a Freemormon . I could start my own religion, ala Mr. Smith... but secretly... "Stealth Mormons: We're coming for you." (Wait, no. We're already here, and we have been for years. That's the ticket).

Nevermind. Got "paranoid fantasy" and "conspiracy theory" mixed up. We're still coming for you, though.
And conversion is no longer voluntary.

Last edited by AlternateGray; 06-27-2006 at 04:06 AM.
AlternateGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #29
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

We Freemasons are not poisoning the wells.
We have to drink out of them too.
As per this "ruling the world"...
I've seen some of the ones running the brotherhood.
Don't worry about it.
Some of these guys couldn't find their ass with both hands and a GPS.

BTW: Fasinating fact -
Joseph Smith was a Freemason when he started the Mormon religion.
As was Charles Taze when he started the Jehovah's Witnesses.
My old man is a JW, and "HATES" when I bring up that little tidbit.
Sucks to be him.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:45 AM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Who controls the British Crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do.
Who keeps Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do, we do.
Who holds back the electric car?