The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

FCC Report

For a couple of years I've been a Guinea Pig. Samknows has been monitoring my internet connection, as well as thousands of others, and reporting the results to the FCC.
The latest FCC report looks good.

Quote:
Conclusion and Next Steps

In just the year since we collected data for our last Report, ISPs have improved in both their ability to deliver what they promise to their customers, and in the overall speeds they can and are delivering. This is a success story, and indicates strong progress toward the important goals set forth in the NBP, that by 2015, 100 million homes should have affordable access to actual download speeds of 50 Mbps, and by 2020 the actual download speed should have increased to 100 Mbps. Though we are making progress toward these goals, we have not yet reached them, and to ensure success it is essential that ISPs continue to improve at the impressive pace indicated by this Report.

In reviewing this Report, it is important to keep in mind that it only provides information on certain aspects of the consumer broadband experience in the U.S. This Report covers ISPs that provide residential broadband to most, but not all, U.S. customers. This Report does not address affordability or other characteristics of service, such as data caps and usage-based pricing, which might have a large impact on how consumers can use their broadband connections. Despite these limitations in the scope of the Report, the areas covered by this Report show ISPs generally performing well and improving on last year’s performance.
There's much to be done, especially for people in the sticks, but overall it's getting better... but not cheaper.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
glatt

How do you connect?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

*/ calling Google - where are you */

It almost seems that the physical cable is an archaic technology.
We recently were in some very isolated areas of Oregon,
and satellite discs were mounted on many houses.

When is Comcast or some other huge ISP going to put up
it's own system of satelllites, and do away with all cable connections ?
Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about...
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

After being accepted, they supply a proprietary modem that goes inline before the ISP's modem, and reports to Samknows. Then they send me a report monthly with a bunch of metrics for my service.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In general, satellite connections do not make for good internets. There is a great amount of delay added as the signal has to reach across very long distances.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This graph from the FCC Report says it all. Can you get your advertised speed? Or is your provider's network getting kinda busy at 9pm? The ones with the big drop-offs are going to be in places where you're sharing your connection with your neighbors, which is how it works in cable setups.

Quote:
by 2020 the actual download speed should have increased to 100 Mbps. Though we are making progress toward these goals, we have not yet reached them
Well they wrote that report last month. Verizon is offering 300/65 service to its FIOS customers TODAY. Only $210/month. It's worth it: if you have a family of 8. All of who want to watch HD streaming video. At the same time. On separate devices.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
In general, satellite connections do not make for good internets. There is a great amount of delay added as the signal has to reach across very long distances.
I'm one of Frontier's unfortunates, but its still better than our previous sat dish situation. Someday Frontier may actually upgrade their copper wire to fiber optics and then we'll have 1st world internet!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I no longer remember the exact numbers. But I do remember the price. South Koreans paid an average $20 per month for a national average 50Mb(?) connection. A speed that was only the highest service offered by Verizon and Comcast for something like $50 or $70(?) per month.

Satellite communication was never as robust, less expensive, or as fast as landline connections as soon as fiber was commercially available. Fiber made everything - even existing microwave stations - much more expensive. The Economist discussed this in a series entitled "The Death of Distance".
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
I no longer remember the exact numbers.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL TW????

TAKE OFF THAT MASK AND SHOW YOURSELF, IMPOSTER!!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

I first noticed it on the Penn State thread, truly out of character. I'm getting worried that he was kidnapped by football boosters.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just like that Google is offering fiber service in Kansas City...

1000 up, 1000 down

Now there are gigabyte internet speeds and the battle is renewed. And now we need to wonder what new innovations will come to run with this kind of speed.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

The important thing is for Google to succeed AND to start bringing this to other cities. Maybe then competition will come back to Internet access.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
1000 up, 1000 down

Now there are gigabyte internet speeds
Gigabit, you moron!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Gigabit, you moron!
Hey! Don't call UT names, you scoundrel!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

That's right, UT's a totally standup guy, you douchebag!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote