The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-31-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
rkzenrage

Those that knock on your door?

Not just religious groups, sales people, etc.
How do you deal with them, what tactics?
We have been getting a ton of them around here lately for some damn reason.

No, I do not want you to show me that cleaner on my car...

I used to work shift work and had a no solicitation sign, so I have real issues with these people.
I think this and phone solicitation should be illegal if uninvited.

I try to be polite, but am forceful if they do not listen after the second or third time. I miss our old place, we had a timer for the sprinklers on the back porch.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I usually put it in terms of their time: "Yeah, well thanks, but I'm really not interested, don't waste your time with me, go talk to someone who might give you a sale."
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

i pretend that the door is really the telephone and i ignore it.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Most people just stand at the front gate and holler coz they wont come in with the dogs

One day, I went out to see what the dog was going on about (no fenced yard) and walked around the corner to see my dog with both paws planted on the side of this car, snarling up into the small opening where the window was down....the religious chick says..."will he be alright if I get out?"....ch'yeah right, take your chances luvie!!

Sorry, in answer to your question..... Sometimes I mess with the religious callers but usually I just tell them politely I am in no way interested and bye. I just smile as I shut the door.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I open the door say and before they open thier mouth I say "not interested" and shut the door. Well that is unless they are The Publishers Clearinghouse Prize Patrol.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Welcome to the Cellar, ravenranter.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Hyoi
Faithful Companion

My guess is that I resemble a just-released convict, cuz most get this look of shock then fear , then leave in a big hurry. I have to chase down the UPS guys and the pizza delivery boy, which are the only drawbacks I see.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The only sales people we ever get here are kids selling candy and such for school. We tend to purchase from them as we're sort of community minded that way.

When the Mormons and the JW's come, I just smile and tell them that we're devout Pagans.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I do the "not interested" thing. Sometimes, if it's a guy and he won't take no for an answer, I'll stare at his crotch while he's talking. They get uncomfortable and leave pretty quick after that. Usually.

When I was a kid and we used to get JWitnesses a lot, my Mom stopped it by answering the door holding a book on Satanism while wearing a pentagram necklace.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I like your mom already.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I haven't had anyone unsolicited come to my door in forever...I guess that's a good thing? I'm approachable...I'm a good guy. Damnit! Why won't strangers knock on my door?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranter View Post
i pretend that the door is really the telephone and i ignore it.

I second this. Or I politely smile, say no thank you, and close the door. Sometimes I will let them do their spiel, especially if they are a teenager or something, then say no thank you.

Only ones who would be welcome would be girl scouts selling cookies, and they hardly knock on doors anymore. I used to do that with my girls. Hell, I used to schlep mints around door to door as a campfire girl.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Welcome ravenranter!

Anyway, it really is too bad noone has come up with something that not only sounds like a barking dog, but can duplicate the solid thump against the door made by an agitated Doberman.

I've had kids come to my door selling magazines to fund a halfway house (prefer making a donation after checking out charity). I had one girl selling cookies who wasn't from our neighborhood whose mom was driving her around. The strangest one was a woman whose meat truck 'broke down' and as a result was 'forced to make a deal' on the contents.

Our old house was a few blocks from a Kingdom Hall and the Jehovah's Witnesses did pay us a visit. I was perfectly happy to discuss religion with them the first time they showed up. They never showed up again.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 03-31-2007 at 11:53 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
The strangest one was a woman whose meat truck 'broke down' and as a result was 'forced to make a deal' on the contents.
Oh shit...I totally forgot about this!

Right after I moved back to St. Louis 2 years ago, some guy showed up at my parents' house pulling a similar scam...in my case, the people that originally "bought" the meat were "unable to pay for it." He seemed awfully desperate to unload the shit...probably because it was already spoiled or close to it.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i put them in the pit with the rest of the donors.

it rubs the lotion on it's skin, or else it gets the hose again.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote