The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

The Cost of the War

Perhaps this should have been under "Cool Site of the Day" but those tend to be amusing and this one is not (or, at least, it's not supposed to be). The Cost of War site proports to display the running total of US dollars spent on our involvement in Iraq. I haven't read through their pages, but at least they tell you who they are and where they get their info. Their links page is interesting, too.

Personally, the two good things to come out of this war have been the public discussion of the appropriate US role in policing the rest of the world, and my otherwise non-involved mother's virulant anti-war stance and actions. Something about this war triggered a long-dormant activism that has been amazing to witness. She has transformed from "Vote? Oh I didn't have time . . ." to a one-woman crusade against this war. I wonder how many other ordinary, passive, middle age, middle class, middle Americans have been similarly affected? I guess we'll find out when we see some demographics on Dean supporters.