Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

August 21st, 2017: Another Rejected Princess

Recent Images

Aug 20th, 2017: Jurassic Gliders
Aug 19th, 2017: Airglow
Aug 18th, 2017: Kimís Bicycle
Aug 17th, 2017: Susquehanna Ice Bridge
Aug 15th, 2017: Trailer Park
Aug 14th, 2017: Pollen
Aug 13th, 2017: Rosemary Smith Can Drive Better Than You

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   Undertoad  Wednesday Mar 15 01:00 PM

3/15/2006: Water Bears, the world's toughest animal



Oh man, what if this thing was comin' straight for ya! Too bad you wouldn't notice it - the biggest one would be a millimeter and a half in size, and you'd probably find it on a lichen or moss.

AxlRosen suggests this item. The "water bear" is more properly called a "tartigrade", and it was blogged about last week by Notes from the Technology Underground. I never heard of it before, but this thing is amazing. As blogger Bill Gurstelle writes:

Quote:
Now here's the thing I really like about tartigrades. They are apparently the World's Toughest Animal. You can shoot them into space, take them to the deepest ocean depths and let them go, deprive them of air, water, and food for years and they don't care. Send them into the core of nuclear reactor. They'll be fine.
Then he posts the Wikipedia link for the little dudes, where there are more amazing facts. They can hang out at 150 degrees C, or close to absolute zero. They found a living one that had been hibernating for 120 years.

Enh. I'm not impressed. Name me one tartigrade that's won the Nobel prize.


Trilby  Wednesday Mar 15 01:05 PM

umm...these things live on lichen or moss, right? not on people, right? Right?!



xant  Wednesday Mar 15 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Enh. I'm not impressed. Name me one tartigrade that's won the Nobel prize.
Not yet. These things will outlive the cockroaches, and when they do, the speciesist Nobel committee will no longer be an issue.


Pancake Man  Wednesday Mar 15 09:02 PM

Bet he can't survive a lecture by my English teacher...



xoxoxoBruce  Wednesday Mar 15 09:14 PM

I spent 20 minutes looking at a bunch of sites. The color pictures show them bright red, but they can be orange or green, they have one gonad, they live everywhere and they'll withstand 5700 grays of x-ray radiation. (Five grays would be fatal to a human).
But nobody says what they eat?



AureliusVin  Wednesday Mar 15 09:24 PM

Damn, you think you could get one of these guys at a local pet shop? I'd pay a fine price for a little colony of tartigrades.



xoxoxoBruce  Wednesday Mar 15 09:27 PM

They're free! And they're everywhere.



jojo  Wednesday Mar 15 09:30 PM

don't they look all rubbery and squishy like they're filled with stretch armstrong gunk?



wolf  Wednesday Mar 15 10:13 PM

Thank you for making them just that little bit more disturbing. Good job.



jojo  Wednesday Mar 15 10:26 PM

how come they get to have 7 fingers and we only get 5.



Elspode  Thursday Mar 16 12:41 AM

We were given dual gonads as compensation. That, and we aren't quite as fucking ugly as that thing.

Can you grow these any bigger?



Beestie  Thursday Mar 16 12:50 AM

Whatever we do, let's not piss them off.



seakdivers  Thursday Mar 16 01:44 AM

I'm pretty sure that they feed off of people named Bri.....ooooh wait....




ashke  Thursday Mar 16 03:18 AM

Someone must have tried really hard to kill them to

Quote:
shoot them into space, take them to the deepest ocean depths and let them go, deprive them of air, water, and food for years



Skunks  Thursday Mar 16 03:22 AM

How is it that this is defined as an "animal" instead of some other term that more aptly implies "teeny little critter"? Don't we have terms like "insect" and "bug" and others that more fit that size bracket?

& If the distinction isn't one of size but of component parts & makeup, then is this also remarkable in that it is much closer in bodily function to the things that come to mind when you say "animal" -- mammals, reptiles, birds and such -- than with insects?



tippy  Thursday Mar 16 04:27 AM

its a beastybob!



tw  Thursday Mar 16 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
how come they get to have 7 fingers and we only get 5.
Its in the Bible. God only knew how to count to seven. Later, when he created man, God learned the advantage of five - such as a five day work week.


Trilby  Thursday Mar 16 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Its in the Bible. God only knew how to count to seven. Later, when he created man, God learned the advantage of five - such as a five day work week.
In the Bible, Book of Armaments, (and, I quote) "five is right out!"

I thought God liked the number three. No more, no less.


Happy Monkey  Thursday Mar 16 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks
How is it that this is defined as an "animal" instead of some other term that more aptly implies "teeny little critter"? Don't we have terms like "insect" and "bug" and others that more fit that size bracket?
Insects are animals.


barefoot serpent  Thursday Mar 16 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The color pictures show them bright red, but they can be orange or green
those are the tarted-up tartigrades


jinx  Thursday Mar 16 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
But nobody says what they eat?
From http://152.2.81.1/parkproject/harp/C...rade_page.html Tartigrades feed upon detritus and fresh plant material. Some are predatory on smaller invertebrates.


Elspode  Thursday Mar 16 11:21 AM

Aren't animals pretty much any living thing that isn't a plant?



Happy Monkey  Thursday Mar 16 11:29 AM

Or a fungus, protist, or moneran.



jinx  Thursday Mar 16 11:29 AM

http://www.sidwell.edu/us/science/vl...arya/Animalia/ Kingdom Animalia Kingdom Animalia is one of four kingdoms in the Domain Eukarya. It is distinct from the other three kingdoms, Plantae, Fungi, and Protista, in several ways. Animalia are multicellular, while most Protista (excepting the multicellular algae, which are plant-like) are unicellular. Heterotrophism separates the animals and fungi from plants, and the lack of cell walls in animal cells makes them distinct from fungi. Animals also possess several other unique features. These include interior digestion of food, possession of a digestive tract where hydrolytic enzymes are secreted and digestion takes place, and special cell junctions in their tissues.



binky  Thursday Mar 16 01:56 PM

What a shame these things weren't commonly known in the 1950s-what a cool creature for one of those cheesy sci-fi movies where radiation makes something gigantic!



binky  Thursday Mar 16 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AureliusVin
Damn, you think you could get one of these guys at a local pet shop? I'd pay a fine price for a little colony of tartigrades.
My ten year old learned about these last year and would LOVE a bunch of these


tw  Thursday Mar 16 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I thought God liked the number three. No more, no less.
He be three. A number reserved only for God ... and human equivalents - Olympic metal winners.

Yes I remember my indoctrination well - including all answers to why bears have seven digits. We only need consult the bible and God's chosen presidents.


capnhowdy  Thursday Mar 16 08:57 PM

It looks to me like the top left extremity has eight "fingers". Could be the arthritis medicine.



Kagen4o4  Thursday Mar 16 09:14 PM

what about kryptonite?



jojo  Thursday Mar 16 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
It looks to me like the top left extremity has eight "fingers". Could be the arthritis medicine.
even worse! i bet cap'n hook has claw envy.


jojo  Thursday Mar 16 11:56 PM

"They are apparently the World's Toughest Animal. You can shoot them into space, take them to the deepest ocean depths and let them go, deprive them of air, water, and food for years and they don't care. Send them into the core of nuclear reactor. They'll be fine."

But have they tried throwing them into a z machine? ooh, maybe they're the ones running the machine...



Crimson Ghost  Friday Mar 17 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
We aren't quite as fucking ugly as that thing.
Speak for yourself.

I've seen some fugly people, and my ex-bosses wife looks something like that.


Uryoces  Friday Mar 17 03:13 PM

I for one welcome our tartigrade overlords...

Wait. This isn't Slashdot.



xoxoxoBruce  Friday Mar 17 07:59 PM

Hey Uryoces, welcome back.
Tartigrade Overlords?



axlrosen  Friday Mar 17 10:34 PM

To me, these things look like a cross between a bear, a pig, a piece of ginger, and Freddy Kreuger.



johningerslev  Monday Mar 20 07:36 AM

ok, if you were scared of them before, i went looking for videos.http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...earvideo2.html
how can something so tough be SEETHROUGH????



Kitsune  Monday Mar 20 09:21 AM




xoxoxoBruce  Monday Mar 20 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johningerslev
ok, if you were scared of them before, i went looking for videos.http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...earvideo2.html
how can something so tough be SEETHROUGH????
Wow, that's very cool. 1.06 meg video download.


philgump  Tuesday Mar 21 02:37 PM

LIVING SWEETS?

They think that video makes them look like living sweets, I knew Brit food was bad but really.



philgump  Tuesday Mar 21 02:39 PM

Hmmm

You know with all the things they DID try to kill these things did they think of squishing them with a pencil eraser. I bet that does em in.



jojo  Tuesday Mar 21 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johningerslev
ok, if you were scared of them before, i went looking for videos.http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...earvideo2.html
how can something so tough be SEETHROUGH????
that was so VERY COOL! they are cute li'l guys when you see the way they move


jojo  Tuesday Mar 21 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Hey Uryoces, welcome back.
Tartigrade Overlords?
dang it - i tried doing that with the z machine but i suck at photoshop
just don't let them start reciting poetry...


richlevy  Tuesday Mar 21 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
dang it - i tried doing that with the z machine but i suck at photoshop
just don't let them start reciting poetry...
Well, that would make them 'smarter than the average bear'.

Hey BooBoo!


skysidhe  Sunday Apr 9 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
don't they look all rubbery and squishy like they're filled with stretch armstrong gunk?
It does look like armstrong gunk!


So people actually get paid to do those experiments to that poor thing you need a microscope to see??

Not fair all the fun stuff requires a degree of doctor- ish
porportions. :p


footfootfoot  Saturday May 6 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
http://www.sidwell.edu/us/science/vl...arya/Animalia/ Kingdom Animalia Kingdom Animalia is one of four kingdoms in the Domain Eukarya. It is distinct from the other three kingdoms, Plantae, Fungi, and Protista, in several ways. Animalia are multicellular, while most Protista (excepting the multicellular algae, which are plant-like) are unicellular. Heterotrophism separates the animals and fungi from plants, and the lack of cell walls in animal cells makes them distinct from fungi. Animals also possess several other unique features. These include interior digestion of food, possession of a digestive tract where hydrolytic enzymes are secreted and digestion takes place, and special cell junctions in their tissues.

jinx is so hot when she gets all science teacher-y on us.

But seriously, thanks for the clarification, I somehow forgot all that.

Even MORE SERIOUSLY: Who would win in a cage match? Tartigrade or BSE Prion?

I see a pay per view opportunity for the cellar...


aliasyzy  Sunday May 7 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo
But have they tried throwing them into a z machine? ooh, maybe they're the ones running the machine...
If they could go through Z machine(2,000,000,000 K), they might survive in the sun.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060313.html


xoxoxoBruce  Sunday May 7 11:27 AM

Now you're just trying to scare us.

Welcome to the Cellar, aliasyzy.



aliasyzy  Monday May 8 08:38 AM

Maybe they are alien embryos from far far universe, waiting for a chance to parasitize and enslave us.
Fox Mulder: (Nod, Nod) The truth is out there.

The Cellar is fantastic.
Nice to meet you, Bruce.



Kagen4o4  Monday May 8 11:32 PM

maybe theyre a little ahead of humans in evolution. considering that just about anything kills us



Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.