Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

Oct 18th, 2017: Lollypops

Recent Images

Oct 17th, 2017: Queen Tarzi
Oct 16th, 2017: Cook Pines
Oct 15th, 2017: Station Dog (Jim Dog)
Oct 14th, 2017: Doughnut Girls & Donut Dollies
Oct 13th(Friday), 2017: Internment Camps
Oct 11th, 2017: Santa's Bones
Oct 10th, 2017: Blood in the Streets

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   Undertoad  Thursday Oct 12 12:50 PM

October 12, 2006: Colored guys



Or should I say gentlemen of color? Would that be the politically correct term? Did I offend somebody? Am I offended myself?

Yeah all around, I'll settle down now. With the IotD queue filling, I present these two items tied together in a single theme.

The first, above, is pointed out by axlrosen, the original coming from here.

Quote:
Bruce Potts is a teacher of Public Speaking at the University of New Mexico and has a full tribal face tattoo. He has a straight forward attitude and imparts a cool vibe of acceptance. We'll bet his students get an extra edge on using demeanor and attitude in public speaking. And a life long lesson on not judging books by their covers. Either that or they study really hard because they're afraid he'll eat them.


The second is xoB/WaPo Day in Pics:
Quote:
Freshman Mike Palmer, 18, of Oakville, Ontario, emerges from a tank of purple dye at the University of Toronto in Toronto Canada. Purple dye is a tradition for incoming freshmen at the school.



glatt  Thursday Oct 12 12:53 PM

The guy's all proud of himself for jumping in the dye, but everyone else around him is like, "whatever, dude."



Flint  Thursday Oct 12 12:54 PM

Eva Longoria Tans Self Out Of Visible Spectrum



glatt  Thursday Oct 12 12:55 PM

The dye doesn't stick to deoderant.



Shawnee123  Thursday Oct 12 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint



glatt  Thursday Oct 12 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
You edited your post. It used to say essentially "I'd hit that purple chick!"

I'm wise to your tricks.


Flint  Thursday Oct 12 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
You edited your post.
Edit1:
I edited the link from http://www.theonion.com/content/file..._thumbnail.jpg
to http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53932 to properly credit TheOnion.

Edit2:
Quote:
God help me, I wanna bang that purple chick . . . so much!



kelso  Thursday Oct 12 01:25 PM

Purple Hazing? (Sorry Jimmy.)



mrnoodle  Thursday Oct 12 01:48 PM

I love going to Taos and Santa Fe. If for some reason there was a natural disaster there, we would lose 90% of the world's supply of dreamcatchers, kokopellis, and bolo ties. And about half the lowriders outside of L.A. It's a weird mix of peeps. Between the people who think they were deposited there by spaceship, the white people who think they're Indians, the remnants of the Spaniards, the Mexicans, and the real Indians, it has to be one of the strangest locations on earth. You can buy a $10,000 painting, a Shard of the True Cross (TM), a crack rock, and a meteorite within a mile of each other.



Elspode  Thursday Oct 12 01:48 PM

See also http://www.thescaryguy.com/ . Scary has spent some time in our community. His message is right on.



rock9995  Thursday Oct 12 02:47 PM

And Trick or Treat, to you, Mr. Bruce Potts!

The article on Mr. Potts says: "He said he put off getting the tattoos for many years, but the desire to do it kept nagging at him.
"It was like a haunting," he said. "I like to use that word. It was like a haunting. It just kept coming up and I kept resisting, saying, 'no no no,' and it was like a calm once it was finally completed."

Hearing voices...haunting (he likes to use that word)...okaay, but, you know, it's always good to have tenure before trying this.

And why did he leave his name as "Bruce Potts"? Shouldn't the transformation be completed w/a new monicker? "Darth Maul" has already been taken, unfortunately, but surely something more...anthropological/tribal to go with that "warrior eyeliner", no?



CharlieG  Thursday Oct 12 03:19 PM

heh. One of my jobs, long ago, had a customer that ground pigments for various dyes. Well, I'll give you a hint, when you mixed all the pigments together - like from spills, and dust in the air etc, it came out metalic purple

Now, we almost never wore respirators when visting (heck, we didn't HAVE them - we were just there to service the hoists).

You go there, and go to install something, you'd come back to the shop - YOU were metalic purple - you blew your nose metalic purple for days. Your clothes were metalic purple.

A real joy, let me tell you

luckly, it would wash out if you used COLD water, as it wasn't mixed with the binders etc



barefoot serpent  Thursday Oct 12 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I love going to Taos and Santa Fe. If for some reason there was a natural disaster there, we would lose 90% of the world's supply of dreamcatchers, kokopellis, and bolo ties. And about half the lowriders outside of L.A. It's a weird mix of peeps. Between the people who think they were deposited there by spaceship, the white people who think they're Indians, the remnants of the Spaniards, the Mexicans, and the real Indians, it has to be one of the strangest locations on earth. You can buy a $10,000 painting, a Shard of the True Cross (TM), a crack rock, and a meteorite within a mile of each other.
you left out obtaining a piece of Trinitite.



Elspode  Thursday Oct 12 04:30 PM

I have a couple of small hunks of that in a film cannister in my fossil collection, courtesy of a pal who went on a college geology field trip.



Clodfobble  Thursday Oct 12 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
If for some reason there was a natural disaster there, we would lose 90% of the world's supply of dreamcatchers, kokopellis, and bolo ties. And about half the lowriders outside of L.A.
Interesting. And where do I go to arrange one of these "natural disasters?"


dar512  Thursday Oct 12 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
You can buy a $10,000 painting, a Shard of the True Cross (TM), a crack rock, and a meteorite within a mile of each other.
I had a second-grade teacher who thought she had a piece of the original cross too. Even at age seven I knew enough not to try to persuade her otherwise.


xoxoxoBruce  Thursday Oct 12 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso
Purple Hazing? (Sorry Jimmy.)



BigV  Thursday Oct 12 08:56 PM

Quote:
Freshman Mike Palmer, 18, of Oakville, Ontario, emerges from a tank of purple dye at the University of Toronto in Toronto Canada. Purple dye is a tradition for incoming freshmen at the school.
I think there's a typo here. I think the dude's name is Bill Nye. Maybe they're twins separated at birth. Hard to tell one Dye and one Nye.


milkfish  Thursday Oct 12 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG
heh. One of my jobs, long ago, had a customer that ground pigments for various dyes. Well, I'll give you a hint, when you mixed all the pigments together - like from spills, and dust in the air etc, it came out metalic purple

Now, we almost never wore respirators when visting (heck, we didn't HAVE them - we were just there to service the hoists).

You go there, and go to install something, you'd come back to the shop - YOU were metalic purple - you blew your nose metalic purple for days. Your clothes were metalic purple.

A real joy, let me tell you

luckly, it would wash out if you used COLD water, as it wasn't mixed with the binders etc
You were like the cow that ate bluegrass and mooed indigo.

OHSA must have liked that operation. Or was it longer ago (or further away) than that?


ajaccio  Friday Oct 13 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
you left out obtaining a piece of Trinitite.
And more importantly ... eating green chili. Yum Yum Yum


SPUCK  Friday Oct 13 05:46 AM

I feel sorry for Potts feeling the need to disfigure himself so fully. I guess that's what tenure is for.. Can you imagine looking at that guy across the breakfast table every day..

Its the old "I think I'll put on a really outrageous Hawaiian shirt today... only let me pull it up over my head." "I think I'll wear the same one tomorrow.. and the next day... and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day...."



mrnoodle  Friday Oct 13 11:20 AM

It's such a suburban white thing to do, too. We're not talking about people who do it for deeply ingrained religious or cultural reasons. It's all about demonstrating how in touch you are. rofl. That said, it's a sweet tat.



John  Friday Oct 13 10:38 PM

Purple die is not a tradition of U of T. It's a tradition of Canadian engineering students, regardless of university.

And that shit gets *everywhere*.



9th Engineer  Friday Oct 13 11:12 PM

Same with the Iron Ring as well I think



Undertoad  Friday Oct 13 11:31 PM

Thanks for the notes on this, the only information we get on it comes from the official captions which are not always accurate.



CharlieG  Monday Oct 16 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkfish
You were like the cow that ate bluegrass and mooed indigo.

OHSA must have liked that operation. Or was it longer ago (or further away) than that?
Who knows - it was the 1980s - I understand they are gone now - who knows what OSHA thought


Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.