Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

Apr 30th, 2017: SNEK!

Recent Images

Apr 29th, 2017: Lying Real Estate Agents
Apr 28th, 2017: White Raven
Apr 27th, 2017: Bioluminescent Sea Critters
Apr 25th, 2017: Embroidery
Apr 24th, 2017: Money Laundering
April 23rd, 2017: Philadelphia Lottery
April 22nd, 2017: The Weed Nuns

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Feb 16 11:19 PM

February 17, 2008: Art?

Cellerite Kirk Israel, once said, "Art is whatever you can get away with".
Katinka Simonse, who works under the name of Tinkebell, has been rattling the art world for awhile, most notably when she made a purse out of her dead cat.

Her latest, dog/cat doll, at an art fair opening in Rotterdam today, has been stirring up a storm of response in the Dutch media.


I believe its made from a dead dog and a dead cat.
Is it art?



zippyt  Saturday Feb 16 11:20 PM

no its GROSS !!!



Aliantha  Saturday Feb 16 11:48 PM

I think it's a handbag. The reason it's gross is because we consider dogs and cats pets.

There's no difference between a dog pelt purse and a fox pelt purse for example. It's just that one is more acceptable.

I don't think it's art though.



freshnesschronic  Sunday Feb 17 01:42 AM

Pardon my French.

But that shit is messed up.



Nietzman  Sunday Feb 17 04:11 AM

Well, mostly I don't believe there is such a thing as an 'official' art-label.

Personaly I consider calling those hypo-allergenic cats "lifestyle pets" quite offensive as well.



Clodfobble  Sunday Feb 17 10:49 AM

It's a Popple!



classicman  Sunday Feb 17 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Pardon my French.

But that shit is messed up.
Funny - I ready pardon my fresh.....


monster  Sunday Feb 17 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I think it's a handbag. The reason it's gross is because we consider dogs and cats pets.

There's no difference between a dog pelt purse and a fox pelt purse for example. It's just that one is more acceptable.

I don't think it's art though.

There might be a difference -the cat and dog probably weren't killed specifically for that project. Which imo would make it more acceptable than the fox purse.

Is it art? Not to me. It might have been if the artist had simply made the product and started using it, but putting an object on display and stating "THIS IS ART" is more likely to have the opposite effect, in my opinion. If you have to tell people it's art, it probably isn't.

Sort of the reverse effect of comments that start with "no offence, but....."


deadbeater  Sunday Feb 17 08:02 PM

It's a creative way to stuff a dog into a cat, and i do admit there is a lot of effort going into it, but art? I don't think so. A memorial to two pets maybe, but not art.



astrodex  Sunday Feb 17 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I think it's a handbag. The reason it's gross is because we consider dogs and cats pets.

There's no difference between a dog pelt purse and a fox pelt purse for example. It's just that one is more acceptable.

I don't think it's art though.
While I own several purses made of animal hide (cow) I have never owned a bag that had a head still attached. Or legs, or tails... I would think it was a little gross and a lot creepy no matter what kind of animal it was made from.

The fact that it is reversible, while usually an attractive feature, just makes it double, no, triple creepy.


xoxoxoBruce  Sunday Feb 17 09:57 PM

It's not a handbag.



Aliantha  Sunday Feb 17 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
While I own several purses made of animal hide (cow) I have never owned a bag that had a head still attached. Or legs, or tails... I would think it was a little gross and a lot creepy no matter what kind of animal it was made from.

The fact that it is reversible, while usually an attractive feature, just makes it double, no, triple creepy.

Leaving the head on the fox fur stole was considered the height of fashion at one time. I think it's a matter of perspective. I'm with you though, I don't think I'd be interested in it.

Yes Bruce, I know it's not a handbag as such, but it's some kind of bag in my opinion because she's carrying one thing in another.


xoxoxoBruce  Sunday Feb 17 10:06 PM

No, it's not a bag. The zipper allows her to turn it inside out, to make the transformation from dog to cat. The only thing on the inside is the other side of the doll.



Aliantha  Sunday Feb 17 10:20 PM

whatever you say. I was simply giving my impression of the item that's all. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong. Just what I think of it.



DucksNuts  Monday Feb 18 05:18 AM

Bruce!!!! Dont call it a *doll*



xoxoxoBruce  Monday Feb 18 05:49 AM

From the newspaper;

Quote:
The dog/cat doll is an exhibit at a leading art fair opening in Rotterdam today and it has been stirring up a storm of response in the Dutch media.
From Tinkebell;
Quote:
She says the idea of the dog/cat doll is to start a discussion about how we treat animals and that it should be seen as a protest against the push to create perfect pets via breeding and genetic manipulation.



sweetwater  Monday Feb 18 07:52 AM

perhaps "Art" is the name of one of the former animals, but i don't think it is art. calling it so would be the same as calling Jeffrey Dahmer a chef.



Sheldonrs  Monday Feb 18 10:58 AM

Now we know what happened to Paris Hilton's pets.



Clodfobble  Monday Feb 18 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The only thing on the inside is the other side of the doll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts
Bruce!!!! Dont call it a *doll*
I think of it more of an action figure, myself.


xoxoxoBruce  Monday Feb 18 11:06 AM

Trans-fur-mer?



shina  Monday Feb 18 11:35 AM

Bizarre is the only word I can come up with. How anyone can come up with these ideas is beyond me. I'll pass.



LabRat  Monday Feb 18 12:42 PM

Maybe it's just the mood I'm in this morning, but I thought it was kind of funny, actually. It also made me think of Popples, Clod, thanks for posting that.
Cool taxidermy project? Sure.
Art? Nah.



JDwithcoke&lime  Monday Feb 18 12:44 PM

She was going to make a 'doggie bag' to bring home leftovers from a restaurant, but all she had handy was the cat.



Aliantha  Monday Feb 18 05:39 PM

IT'S NOT A BAG! (ask bruce)



Gravdigr  Monday Feb 18 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I think it's a handbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's not a handbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
IT'S NOT A BAG! (ask bruce)
It IS a bag. A marble bag. It's empty 'cause 'Tinkebell' has lost her marbles. All of 'em.

If someone did that to my beloved Slick (Bombay cat), bodily harm would DEFINITELY be the order of the day!!


monster  Monday Feb 18 10:28 PM




Aliantha  Monday Feb 18 10:29 PM

my kids used to love that show when they were little.



Flint  Tuesday Feb 19 12:38 AM

why the hell didn't I think of that? ha ha ha it's catdog



Giant Salamander  Thursday Feb 21 01:09 AM

It's definitely art. From what I can tell, it's quality craftsmanship, and the materials are interesting...but, without the medium's shock value, it's just a somewhat nifty 2-purses-in-1...thing.
Plenty of crap art gets attention because it's "shocking;" that's just the way it goes. Stupid fucking monkeys and their love of hearing their own yowls in the night.

But art is art whether it's good or shitty. There's an art to everything you do, including living, but I'm not going to fart out my mouth about that, since the farts wouldn't even be my own, and I may as well just type "ttttttpppppt"



Grismar  Thursday Feb 28 12:11 PM

Is it art? Of course it is, if someone says it is and someone else feels the need to disagree, it's not just art, it's engaging art. Whether it's fun, clever or beautiful is strictly subjective. Whether it's good or successful also depends on arbitrary marks, though a majority might agree. But then, art is hardly democratic. Personally, I favour "it's art if anyone says it is". Saying something is art provokes the audience to take another look and look at something with a different outlook.

Besides, as far as the argument goes that "putting something on display and saying it is art making it less likely it actually is art": that doesn't work too well with an average Rembrandt or van Gogh, unless everyone in your area agrees none of that is actually art and, in fact, they have one hanging in their tool shed.

In this case, the artist merely wanted to point something out and succeeded very well, as it was in all the newspapers over here. The only reason we feel disgusted when we see this is because we view our pets as fundamentally different from foxes, minks, etc. Even though we breed both ourselves, raise them in captivity, feed them processed food and enjoy stroking their furs.

The fact that we can feel so strongly different about things so close gives pause and -that's- what makes this into a very successful piece of art if you ask me. (I think it's ugly as hell though)

Greetings,
Grismar.



Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.