Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

Nov 23rd, 2017: Thanksgiving

Recent Images

Nov 22nd, 2017 : US Migration by DNA
Nov 21st, 2017 : Oumuamua
November 20th, 2017 : Ottoman Dentistry
Nov 19th, 2017 : Tappan Zee Bridge
Nov 18th, 2017 : Wrinkle in Space-Time
Nov 17th, 2017 : Macrophotography
Nov 16th, 2017 : Animals in War

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   xoxoxoBruce  Friday Jun 25 01:23 AM

June 25, 2010: Kitty's 9th Life

Better get a dog... or a Mongoose.




BigV  Friday Jun 25 02:00 AM

weird.

you just never see the pussy going into the snake.



zippyt  Friday Jun 25 03:34 AM

That Sir is fucked UP !!!



SPUCK  Friday Jun 25 04:57 AM

Mongi only work with cobras - the slowest of them all.

I new a herpetologist who'd tested the theory and found... boas love to eat mongooses.

I don't recognize that snake model. Seems sort of Australian but I dono.

I'm having a hard time understanding this picture. If it was a constrictor why and how would it be up 8 ft in the rafters somewhere a cat wouldn't be - with a cat? They don't back up once they attack. So it wouldn't back back up into the rafters after being on the floor making a kill.


This makes it all too clear.. It wasn't the dingos.



Pie  Friday Jun 25 09:13 AM

Aren't Friday pics supposed to be "awwwwww..." not ?


Totally harshed my morning.



classicman  Friday Jun 25 09:14 AM

I'm too upset at the poor kitty to be mad at xob.



classicman  Friday Jun 25 09:15 AM

For Pie ....




ZenGum  Friday Jun 25 09:37 AM

@ classic.


Uh, yeah it is kinda grim.

I can't say if that snake is Aussie or not, but it isn't a carpet python which is our most common python.



fargon  Friday Jun 25 09:40 AM

Thats not even nice, all I can think about is that poor kitty.



newtimer  Friday Jun 25 10:26 AM

Lacking any rope, Mittens killed a snake, tied it into a noose, and jumped off the highest rafter he could find. Ever since his owner had him fixed ('broken' is more like it, thought Mittens), he found he had lost the will to live any more.



Clodfobble  Friday Jun 25 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK
I'm having a hard time understanding this picture. If it was a constrictor why and how would it be up 8 ft in the rafters somewhere a cat wouldn't be - with a cat? They don't back up once they attack. So it wouldn't back back up into the rafters after being on the floor making a kill.
I dunno about that particular breed of snake, but my (much smaller) ball pythons would often strike downward to pick the mouse up off the tank floor if they were already up in their little climby branches when it was feeding time. They wouldn't deliberately climb up there for an attack, but they spent a lot of time just hanging out up there, so it was an even chance it was faster to just reach down and grab the food. What's more, once they made the initial snatch, they would often recoil backwards in order to get more strength behind their grip or sometimes extra wraps around the mouse if the little guy was a fighter.

Also, what in the world makes you say a cat wouldn't be in the rafters? You only have cats with no legs or something?


Shawnee123  Friday Jun 25 10:30 AM

A good image of the day would be someone with gangrene of the genitals slicing their wrist with a butter knife while spiders crawl on their face and a giant clown lady barfs on them.



monster  Friday Jun 25 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
A good image of the day would be someone with gangrene of the genitals slicing their wrist with a butter knife while spiders crawl on their face and a giant clown lady barfs on them.
check your PMs.......


spudcon  Friday Jun 25 10:37 AM

Great idea Shawnee! I'll get on it right away!



monster  Friday Jun 25 10:38 AM

Maybe the cat isn't quite dead in that pic.... maybe the camera person snapped a quick shot to aid the vetinary paramedics and then rushed to rescue the poor wee thing? See, it's waving.....



classicman  Friday Jun 25 11:08 AM

Ok so the cat repeatedly refused to clean the floor. Therefore mother snake had to take thing into her own hands, so to speak and force the cat to get the job done. Clearly the snake brought the cat up there just so that it could reach the mop.



spudcon  Friday Jun 25 11:16 AM

And the good witch said "Now you can all live in harmony, happily ever after." The End.



Spexxvet  Friday Jun 25 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Maybe the cat isn't quite dead in that pic.... maybe the camera person snapped a quick shot to aid the vetinary paramedics and then rushed to rescue the poor wee thing? See, it's waving.....
It's reaching for its tag team partner



xirene  Friday Jun 25 02:27 PM

Really disappointed in you

I've been a daily visitor to the IotD for about 5 yrs now, and this is my first comment, sadly to say that I will probably not be back.

You should have put a warning on this photo. This completely messed up my morning. I'm used to the Friday IotD being a cute or at the very least interesting animal photo, not a snuff shot.

You really failed here. Tasteless does not begin to describe the photo.



monster  Friday Jun 25 02:30 PM

Would you have felt the same if the cat had a limp snake in it's mouth?

I still maintain the cat's not dead. yet.

A warning might've been nice, though.



classicman  Friday Jun 25 02:44 PM

... agreed. This image was quite out of character for what most have come to expect as the IotD on a Friday..

@xirene - That being said, I think to make such a harsh decision based upon one out of thousands - seems a bit, no, way over the top.



lookout123  Friday Jun 25 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtimer View Post
Lacking any rope, Mittens killed a snake, tied it into a noose, and jumped off the highest rafter he could find. Ever since his owner had him fixed ('broken' is more like it, thought Mittens), he found he had lost the will to live any more.
Freakin hilarious spin on a grim situation. Love it.


lumberjim  Friday Jun 25 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirene View Post
I've been a daily visitor to the IotD for about 5 yrs now, and this is my first comment, sadly to say that I will probably not be back.

You should have put a warning on this photo. This completely messed up my morning. I'm used to the Friday IotD being a cute or at the very least interesting animal photo, not a snuff shot.

You really failed here. Tasteless does not begin to describe the photo.
Interesting commentary. A shame that you've taken and taken and taken over these 5 years, and never had the decency to say thanks...

and yet, the first time you get upset, you are motivated to whine and cry about it. I'm very dissapointed in YOU. glad you're leaving. don't let the door hit your weak pointless ass.


lookout123  Friday Jun 25 03:06 PM

Hey LJ, maybe we should start a thread to discuss the problem of bloodsucking lurkers and how to fix the problem. could you work on that for us?



lumberjim  Friday Jun 25 03:13 PM

My theory is that most lurkers are democrats and communists.



lookout123  Friday Jun 25 03:20 PM

Absolutely, as evidenced by the fact that they suck and hate america. Counting down the 3 minutes until Redux posts a government paid study refuting this premise.



Diaphone Jim  Friday Jun 25 03:41 PM

We haven't had a graphic caution in a looong time (if you don't count the fako velvet painting of the monkey and the leopard). I wonder if one here would have kept anyone away, especially xirene (who apparently joined today to say goodbye) and usually tougher shawnee.
I would have looked anyway, thought medium-yuck and enthusiastically gone on to read these comments.
The photo is quite a few places on the web, but with never an explanation, except for maybe Australia and maybe python.
Most predators have a pretty good eye for what to kill, sometimes called a prey image or picture. While the extent of the snake is hard to determine, it looks as if he has bitten off more than he can chew, so to speak.
I would not be surprised to find that they were both dead and then set up.



Shawnee123  Friday Jun 25 03:47 PM

Huh? What did I do?

At least my joke was remotely funny!



squirell nutkin  Friday Jun 25 04:09 PM

We identify with cats to a greater degree than snakes it seems. Fact is on this planet, every one and everything lives at the expense of something else's life. Something has to die so that you can live.

Still, what makes that a sad picture is two fold:

1. Most of us identify with the cat
2. The death of the cat did not increase the number of pictures of naked chicks.



Cloud  Friday Jun 25 08:48 PM

seriously awful.



HungLikeJesus  Friday Jun 25 09:02 PM

I think the title was sufficient warning.



Flint  Friday Jun 25 09:06 PM

Oh crap! A useless, non-contributing leach was needlessly upset during the passive consumption of their daily FREE entertainment. Well, luckily I know something about the internet. NOBODY who says they "are leaving" REALLY leaves. Especially a worthless, do-nothing lurker whose existence serves no discernable purpose. I happen to know that "xirene" will be back around, time and time again, to see the result of their childish little tirade.

By the way, if this image "ruins your day" then you seriously need to go see a physician to correct the chemical imbalances that are wreaking havoc upon your already enfeebled brain tissue. A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"



jinx  Friday Jun 25 09:15 PM

Yeah!
And don't forget to hit the tip jar!



squirell nutkin  Friday Jun 25 09:44 PM

Yeah!
And don't let the tip jar hit your ass on the way out!

What jinx said.



Flint  Friday Jun 25 09:55 PM

IotD Crossoverİ

Don't end up with the tip jar up your ass!



ZenGum  Friday Jun 25 10:01 PM

Quote:
A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life death!"
Just sayin.


Flint  Friday Jun 25 10:03 PM

Life is death. Death is life.



ZenGum  Friday Jun 25 10:13 PM

True freedom is doing what you are told. Flint is sane.



Pie  Friday Jun 25 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Life is death. Death is life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
By the way, if this image "ruins your day" then you seriously need to go see a physician to correct the chemical imbalances that are wreaking havoc upon your already enfeebled brain tissue. A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"

Death makes me sad. Sorry if you think I'm unhinged.


Flint  Friday Jun 25 11:11 PM

No, you're cool. You didn't pull the crybaby "I'm leaving" routine like xirene.



squirell nutkin  Friday Jun 25 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Would you have felt the same if the cat had a limp snake in it's mouth?

I still maintain the cat's not dead yet; it's pining for the fjords.



xoxoxoBruce  Friday Jun 25 11:24 PM

I checked with Hallmark, they don't have an apology card for that image, so suck it up.



monster  Friday Jun 25 11:32 PM

They don't? If anyone has Hallmark shares... SELL!

Meanwhile...

Sometimes the cats in our lives
Get taken from us by surprise
But a snake in the hand
Is worth 12 bucks a pound
So cheer up and see the bright side



aero geek  Friday Jun 25 11:57 PM

It is just an image of one animal (possibly) killing another one. The end. It's just nature. There are no evil animals as far as I can tell and I don't get how someone can claim that there was something wrong with that image which is merely a momentary observation of nature. I also wonder if xirene is a meat eater and realizes what animals go through just before they are slaughtered. Reading IOTD for five years and now going to stop because of one post? Yeah, right!



xoxoxoBruce  Friday Jun 25 11:59 PM

She's rather hang out on Deviant Art.



dezireless  Friday Jun 25 11:59 PM

I just joined today. Death and empathy are a funny thing. Too often we accuse the predator of being the bad guy when even we ourselves take the role of snakes. The predator prey relationship predates the concepts of good and evil.



spudcon  Saturday Jun 26 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
My theory is that most lurkers are democrats and communists.
Lumberjim nails it again!


lumberjim  Saturday Jun 26 12:03 AM

it's what I do.

:: takes a bow ::



xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Jun 26 12:04 AM

Welcome to the Cellar, dezireless.

Not you, spudcon.



HungLikeJesus  Saturday Jun 26 12:40 AM

It's just WWF.

Relax.



SPUCK  Saturday Jun 26 05:00 AM

That snake was hired by one of the two hundred slaughtered bird's relatives that were killed by the cat - merely for 'entertainment'. It was just a balancing of the books.



toranokaze  Saturday Jun 26 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
A good image of the day would be someone with gangrene of the genitals slicing their wrist with a butter knife while spiders crawl on their face and a giant clown lady barfs on them.
Shawnee just when I think I'm into the weirdest shit you have to go and up the ante


And Cat it is whats for dinner


Pie  Saturday Jun 26 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
It's just WWF.

Relax.
Nuh uh.

The WWF is the World Wide Fund for Nature.




World Wrestling Entertainment is the WWE:




Don't fuck with the panda.


squirell nutkin  Saturday Jun 26 02:26 PM

.



Cicero  Saturday Jun 26 02:26 PM

Sick. Sometimes I find the natural world to be sick and repulsive. So why am I so apt and ready to defend it all the time?
Move along/ off quasi-rant.



squirell nutkin  Saturday Jun 26 02:40 PM

Too much Disney at an impressionable age. Don't feel bad, it has happened to all of us.



ogwen69  Saturday Jun 26 03:22 PM

<delurk>

Been reading this for years, love the site - miss it when I'm on holiday, occasionally post.

Animals kill animals to eat. I pay people to kill cows so I can haz cheezburger. It's how the world works.

Maybe the title could have given a little more warning, I was a little taken aback by the image, maybe 'cat runs out of lives' or something.

I think never visisitng again is a bit of an over reaction. Unfortunatley we don't live in a world where everything is teh fluffeh so, yeah, that's all i've got to say

</relurk>

(p.s. for the pedants I know my html tags don't work even in theory but hey....)



monster  Saturday Jun 26 05:32 PM

<appreciates>
Teh ogwen
</appreciates>



SPUCK  Sunday Jun 27 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
.






Gravdigr  Sunday Jun 27 02:55 PM

I don't really want to see dead household pets. If I'd posted that picture you people would have clogged the internet to condemn for it.



Gravdigr  Sunday Jun 27 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"
No. No, they don't. That would be a sociopath.


Gravdigr  Sunday Jun 27 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I'm too upset at the poor kitty to be mad at xob.
Oh, hell, who's mad? I, myself, assumed IOTD's were supposed to be SFW. Now, I got my ass handed to me for posting a man's naked thigh & ass cheek in the WTF thread. I find this dead cat pic to be FAR FAR FAR FAR more offensive than a Korean man's ass cheek.

That said, IF I were a snake person, instead of the cat-lover that I am, I might be all "Fuck, yeah! Go snake!", but, I ain't, so, I'm all "Godammit, I didn't need to see that!"


HungLikeJesus  Sunday Jun 27 03:18 PM

I was much more disturbed by the video of the monkey with the pet frog.



squirell nutkin  Sunday Jun 27 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I was much more disturbed by the video of the monkey with the pet frog.
was that another of Shawnee's links?


Flint  Sunday Jun 27 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
A strong, well-adjusted person such as myself looks at that image and says "That's life!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
No. No, they don't. That would be a sociopath.
Bullshit. You've never seen a national geographic where the cheetah chases down the gazelle, bites its throat out, and then tears its raw flesh apart and eats it? You're telling me that only a "sociopath" could watch that program objectively??? BULLSHIT. You are dead wrong.


HungLikeJesus  Sunday Jun 27 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
was that another of Shawnee's links?
I don't recall, Senator.


Mayor of Shekou  Sunday Jun 27 09:03 PM

OK, I'm starting to get all riled up over this post. Here I am, hungry as heck, and not one of you has come through with a halfway decent recipe! I mean, come on, think of the opportunity: TWO main ingredients to work with!



classicman  Sunday Jun 27 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
was that another of Shawnee's links?
It was LJ's


HungLikeJesus  Sunday Jun 27 09:43 PM

I've checked all of our books for kitten stuffed snake recipes, but so far nothing.



jinx  Sunday Jun 27 09:46 PM

Couldn't be much different than turducken I would think...



squirell nutkin  Sunday Jun 27 09:47 PM

It's in the one with "Frog a la Peche"



BigV  Sunday Jun 27 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Shekou View Post
OK, I'm starting to get all riled up over this post. Here I am, hungry as heck, and not one of you has come through with a halfway decent recipe! I mean, come on, think of the opportunity: TWO main ingredients to work with!
hey buddy.... here's a recipe for you, k?

One man
One woman

Bon appetit!

ps, I prefer mine with somewhat less hair, but to each his own.


Gravdigr  Monday Jun 28 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Bullshit. You've never seen a national geographic where the cheetah chases down the gazelle, bites its throat out, and then tears its raw flesh apart and eats it? You're telling me that only a "sociopath" could watch that program objectively??? BULLSHIT. You are dead wrong.
I don't have a pet gazelle.

We're talking about household pets, not animals living in the wild.

And I am not wrong. I have a different opinion.


BigV  Monday Jun 28 05:25 PM

Good point, Gravdigr. I especially like your correct distinction about your opinion.



Spexxvet  Monday Jun 28 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Absolutely, as evidenced by the fact that they suck and hate america.
No, that would be vampires and muslims.


lumberjim  Monday Jun 28 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
No. No, they don't. That would be a sociopath.
this is you telling Flint he's wrong AND he's a sociopath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Bullshit. You've never seen a national geographic where the cheetah chases down the gazelle, bites its throat out, and then tears its raw flesh apart and eats it? You're telling me that only a "sociopath" could watch that program objectively??? BULLSHIT. You are dead wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I don't have a pet gazelle.

We're talking about household pets, not animals living in the wild.

edit: In My Opinion.... sorry... almost forgot that part!
And I am not wrong. I have a different opinion.
Flint is refuting that he is a sociopath here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Good point, Gravdigr. I especially like your correct distinction about your opinion.
On an unrelated note, this is BigV acting like a cunt as usual.

edit: In My Opinion! almost forgot that bit...


squirell nutkin  Monday Jun 28 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
No, that would be vampires and muslims.
OOOH! New film genre! Vampire Muslims. We already have Nazi Zombies, so Vampire Muslims is the next logical step.


SPUCK  Tuesday Jun 29 06:07 AM

New movies coming out:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
(seriously!)



stevecrm  Tuesday Jun 29 07:36 AM

mi-OWWWWW



Sundae  Tuesday Jun 29 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
New movies coming out:
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
This is one film that I expect to enjoy as much - if not more - than the book.


BigV  Tuesday Jun 29 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
This is one film that I expect to enjoy as much - if not more - than the book.
Agreed.

And by agreed, I mean an utterly self-evident gross understatement.


BigV  Tuesday Jun 29 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezireless View Post
snip -- The predator prey relationship predates the concepts of good and evil.
This is one *funny* sentence!!!


Gravdigr  Tuesday Jun 29 05:39 PM

Lumberjim:

Quote:
this is you telling Flint he's wrong AND he's a sociopath.
You are right. I stand corrected. I apologize Flint.<---This is me saying I was wrong.

Now. This ---> is me saying a person has got to be fucked up in the goddamned head to not be at least somewhat affected by a household pet being shown dead and dangling from the jaws of whatever killed it. Be the pet a cat, dog, or a parakeet (which I hate by the way, but I still will be at least somewhat affected when a pic of one dangling from the jaws of a warthog shows up.) I may not breakdown in tears or start a Save-The-Parakeets foundation, but I ain't gonna lie to myself and say "That's life."


lumberjim  Tuesday Jun 29 06:06 PM

but it IS life.

I wish it was the cat that is STILL eating my trash!



Flint  Tuesday Jun 29 06:06 PM

We can either try to shelter ourselves from the reality of life, or we can embrace it fully. And, after all, we really have no choice--this is the world we live in! The Native Americans worshipped the spirits of the animals they consumed...lazy modern man doesn't even stop to consider that this meat was ever part of a living creature. Life IS death, because to LIVE we must EAT. To EAT is to KILL (whether you hide this reality from yourself, or not). And, yes, vegetables are alive too. If you eat the ROOT of a plant you have taken its life in an irreparable way.

Snakes live, snakes eat, snakes kill. Cats live, cats eat, cats kill. Man lives, man eats, man kills. If this bothers you, you are literally having a schizophrenic break with REALITY.

You keep saying "household pet" as if that distinction exempts them from the reality of life. It doesn't! Nor are YOU exempt.

You keep saying what kind of reaction a person should have to a PICTURE of this situation. Well, let me tell you, the time that I found my dog (whom I had literally raised from birth, including bottle feedings and the whole nine yards) dead on the lawn, next to a dead snake, it pretty much cured me of ever having crybaby, Walt Disney type reactions to a ƒucking PHOTOGRAPH of a similar situation. Don't believe me? Look it up--I'm pretty sure I have posted about this before.

When I say "That's life" I MEAN IT goddamnit. THAT. IS. LIFE. If you don't want to accept that then you are choosing to be ignorant. The end.



classicman  Tuesday Jun 29 10:04 PM

Uh not to be a wet blanket or anything, but from the cats perspective .... thats death, not life. jussayin



Gravdigr  Wednesday Jun 30 01:57 AM

I deny your reality, and substitute my own. (I read that somewheres.)



Adak  Wednesday Jun 30 02:27 AM

No doubt that it is our reality, Flint. That reality's effect on us is definitely on a sliding scale, however. No one is going to be strongly shocked by a carrot or head of lettuce, hanging from a constrictor's tight coils.

When it's a pet, it's a lot more affecting, of course. If it were your child, or spouse, the effect would be incredibly strong.

It's a natural reaction to help us remember "snake's coils are deadly", and stay safe.

Inferences of mental health based on the person's sensitivity to that stimuli, are unfounded. As you've shown, that sensitivity will change, depending on their exposure to it.



xoxoxoBruce  Wednesday Jun 30 03:45 AM

Awww, reality to harsh?
Is that's what's bothering you Bunkie?
Then have some nice mellow fantacy....




SPUCK  Wednesday Jun 30 05:53 AM

Um.. yeah.. That brings back fond memories of when that happened to me.



Sundae  Wednesday Jun 30 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Well, let me tell you, the time that I found my dog (whom I had literally raised from birth
Does this mean picking it up after it's born?


Pete Zicato  Wednesday Jun 30 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
When I say "That's life" I MEAN IT goddamnit. THAT. IS. LIFE. If you don't want to accept that then you are choosing to be ignorant. The end.
Well, everything is life, isn't it. Unless a picture is 'shopped, it's life.

Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?

BTW, I'm _not_ saying you should or shouldn't find this particular picture repugnant. Just trying to ascertain whether anything pictured would push your buttons and where the line would be for you.


Gravdigr  Wednesday Jun 30 03:48 PM

He prolly don't have no buttons. Buttons are for pussies. Prolly.



classicman  Wednesday Jun 30 04:21 PM

Flintz got stix not buttons - duh!



xoxoxoBruce  Thursday Jul 1 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?
If you (not pete) find this or any other picture repugnant, move on. Don't piss and moan about how you've been personally assaulted... it's NOT about you.


classicman  Thursday Jul 1 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It's NOT about you.
Damn right bruce! Its all about the kitty! and sometimes the kitty wins.



Flint  Thursday Jul 1 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
No doubt that it is our reality, Flint. That reality's effect on us is definitely on a sliding scale, however. No one is going to be strongly shocked by a carrot or head of lettuce, hanging from a constrictor's tight coils.

When it's a pet, it's a lot more affecting, of course. If it were your child, or spouse, the effect would be incredibly strong.

It's a natural reaction to help us remember "snake's coils are deadly", and stay safe.

Inferences of mental health based on the person's sensitivity to that stimuli, are unfounded. As you've shown, that sensitivity will change, depending on their exposure to it.
Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.


toranokaze  Thursday Jul 1 03:47 PM

This has been a long time coming:


Since the cat is already hung proceed to smoke and dry until jerked
Sever room temp. with light garnish.



squirell nutkin  Thursday Jul 1 04:17 PM

You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.



Gravdigr  Thursday Jul 1 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Thank you. I see that you have understood the actual issue, and have helped to clarify.

You are correct, a person's sensitivity to stimuli will change depending on their exposure to it. Therefore, it seems that a person has two choices when faced with reality, #1: turn away, and choose to remain sheltered and unable to deal with the real world, or #2: assimilate the new information, embrace it, and advance as a person.

You are correct, I was wrong to state this as a mental health issue. It is actually a maturity issue. A mature person will be able to see an image of a natural death (the kind which occurs billions of times every day) and fully understand what it is, what it means...and it will not be traumatic to them.

You are correct, there is a sliding scale upon which people idenify household pets as family members. I subscribe to that. However, it is actually DISRESPECTFUL to the animal to anthropomorphize its psychological characteristics. When I see the image of the snake and the cat, I naturally empathize more with the "victim" in the image. I do not simply, selfishly, regard the animal as a "teddy bear" that lives within my home, but I fully respect that animal as a predator with its own way of living life. I do not believe that the cat as a species is ignorant about the realities of life and death. In empathizing with the cat psychology, I do not apply my own "soft" human feelings. I am actually being MORE sensitive. I am RESPECTING nature, for what it is.

I insist that to be repulsed by this image is to be truly ignorant and immature.
All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.


I'm done with this.....................................................................now.


Flint  Thursday Jul 1 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
All this will bite you in the ass one day. God, I wish I could be there to see it.


I'm done with this.....................................................................now.
What you aren't understanding is that I have already been through this, and come out the other side. I'm not interested in going backwards...


Jilly  Saturday Jul 3 09:01 PM

Wow people. How many dead animals do you pass on the road in a week. And thats live! Do you get all mushy over that? I have been a pet lover and owner all my life and I am amazed at the reaction of some people to this picture. Am I going to hang it on my living room wall? No, but come on, it is an interestesting phototgraph which is what iotd is all about. Right?

<back to lurcking>



lumberjim  Saturday Jul 3 10:12 PM

YOU SPELLED LURKING WRONG!!!



toranokaze  Sunday Jul 4 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
You should read "Cooking with Fernet Branca" I truly think you will enjoy, if not love, it.
I will have to check it out


Jilly  Sunday Jul 4 10:39 AM

Jim, typing while drinking never one of my strong suits. Spelled interesting wrong too.



ZenGum  Tuesday Jul 6 09:08 AM

Hey wait a minute ... has anyone used the

Quote:
you insensitive bastards my kitteh got eaten by a python on 9/11!
meme yet?


Trilby  Tuesday Jul 6 09:30 AM

you just did.



Pete Zicato  Tuesday Jul 6 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Well, everything is life, isn't it. Unless a picture is 'shopped, it's life.

Does that mean that there is no picture which you would find repugnant?

BTW, I'm _not_ saying you should or shouldn't find this particular picture repugnant. Just trying to ascertain whether anything pictured would push your buttons and where the line would be for you.
Yo, Flint.

Did you miss the question, or don't feel like answering?


ogwen69  Wednesday Jul 14 04:33 PM

<re-delurk>

I'm quite dissapointed that this hasn't degenerated into a proper flamewar - what is the internet coming to!

And no Godwins Law either....

Eh back in the day...

</re-relurks>



classicman  Wednesday Jul 14 04:38 PM

Well, I blame you - You got things started and then went off hiding again.



Flint  Wednesday Jul 14 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Yo, Flint.

Did you miss the question, or don't feel like answering?
I'm still thinking about it. Stand by...


Shawnee123  Wednesday Jul 14 10:55 PM

.



ogwen69  Thursday Jul 15 12:18 PM

*sigh*

Your all gay

and

Where are the upload codez?



Shawnee123  Thursday Jul 15 12:34 PM

My all gay what? Broadway Revue?



ogwen69  Saturday Jul 17 03:14 AM

tsch tsch shawnee get with your memes linkie anotheerlinkie



Shawnee123  Saturday Jul 17 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogwen69 View Post
tsch tsch shawnee get with your memes linkie anotheerlinkie
I'm slipping!


Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.