Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

June 24th, 2017: North American Food

Recent Images

June 23rd, 2017: Moist Towelettes
June 22nd, 2017: Doodling
June 21st, 2017: Octopus’s Garden
June 20th, 2017: Money Slang
June 19th, 2017: French Phony
June 18th, 2017: A B C… J K L… U V War…
June 16th, 2017: Hōkūleʻa

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   CaliforniaMama  Thursday Nov 24 09:33 AM

November 24, 2011 Happy USA Thanksgiving Day



Anyone else going to dismantle the turkey before cooking it ...

Photo credit and source unknown: link



Trilby  Thursday Nov 24 10:26 AM

Heee!



SPUCK  Friday Nov 25 04:27 AM

Great shot!

Dismantle? Yes actually I did. I had to fry two 22lb turkeys and since I was running out of time I sawed the second one in half before frying it. Looked weird but it worked great.



CaliforniaMama  Friday Nov 25 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Dismantle? Yes actually I did. I had to fry two 22lb turkeys and since I was running out of time I sawed the second one in half before frying it. Looked weird but it worked great.
Never had a fried turkey.

Why fry?


classicman  Friday Nov 25 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
Never had a fried turkey.

Why fry?
OMG OMG OMG - YOU MUST TRY - so tender and juicy and and and ....


footfootfoot  Friday Nov 25 06:01 PM

I'm going to brine it and fry it and love it and call it George.



SPUCK  Saturday Nov 26 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
Never had a fried turkey.

Why fry?

They're much juicier. The dark meat tastes considerably better while the white meat just tastes noticeably better fried.

Time: 3 minutes a pound plus 5 more. Compare that to baking...

My 22lbers took 70 minutes. Roasted it would be something like 6-1/2 ~ 7Hrs.

What I learned, this being my first time, is that next time I'd cut them into pieces to fit my pot better and to allow a LOT less oil to be used. I needed 4 gallons of canola oil which cost me more than the two turkeys. When frying it just doesn't make any difference if the bird is sectioned up or not whereas even a break in the skin while roasting can result in 'Melba turkey'.

Everyone thought it was the best turkey in memory. Next time I'd do the injection thing and put in some interesting and mildly spicy seasoning to take the turkeys to a new level.

Nothing was greasy at all.
The most surprising thing to me was that when I drained the oil back into the same bottles I got it in, they all were filled back up. It appeared that not even a 1/2 cup left on the turkeys and none drained off them as they post cooked/drained.


CaliforniaMama  Saturday Nov 26 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Time: 3 minutes a pound plus 5 more. Compare that to baking...

My 22lbers took 70 minutes. Roasted it would be something like 6-1/2 ~ 7Hrs.

<snip>

The most surprising thing to me was that when I drained the oil back into the same bottles I got it in, they all were filled back up. It appeared that not even a 1/2 cup left on the turkeys and none drained off them as they post cooked/drained.
We high-temp roast. Our 20 lb turkey took 3 hours. No basting required. We picked a good bird this time. It was so juicy that when I cut a bite from my slice of turkey, juices squirted everywhere!

We didn't stuff and ended up with over 2 cups of juice, half of that was fat. Even after doubling it with broth, the flavor was so intense, I have to double it again.

I was trying to made a reduction gravy, something I have never done before.

Amazing about the amount of oil used. Some of what went back in the bottle is probably the melted fat from the bird itself.


footfootfoot  Saturday Nov 26 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
We high-temp roast. Our 20 lb turkey took 3 hours. No basting required. We picked a good bird this time. It was so juicy that when I cut a bite from my slice of turkey, juices squirted everywhere!

We didn't stuff and ended up with over 2 cups of juice, half of that was fat. Even after doubling it with broth, the flavor was so intense, I have to double it again.

I was trying to made a reduction gravy, something I have never done before.

Amazing about the amount of oil used. Some of what went back in the bottle is definitely the melted fat from the bird itself.



SPUCK  Sunday Nov 27 05:34 AM

Attack of the quoter...?


Yes Cali I bet you're tight because checking again I actually had more oil than I started with.

High temp? I cooked the turkey in a kiln last time around but it wasn't high temp.



CaliforniaMama  Sunday Nov 27 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
High temp? I cooked the turkey in a kiln last time around but it wasn't high temp.
High temp for us was 500 degrees.

Kiln? That's different . . .


Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.