Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

May 25th, 2017: Snowmobile

Recent Images

May 24th, 2017: International Cryptozoology Museum
May 23rd, 2017: Sutro Baths
May 22nd, 2017: Ivy Oak
May 21st, 2017: Micro-Art
May 20th, 2017: Mr Rogers' Cardigans
May 19th, 2017: Ol Doinyo Lengai
May, 18th, 2017: Art Installation Milan

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   Nirvana  Wednesday Oct 2 10:08 AM

October 2, 2013: Vespa Mandarinia

This Hornet Will Be the Last Thing You See Before You Die

It's no secret that Earth has got a lot of problems and, if you live here, you already know that I am talking about wasps. There are so many wasps here. Each one is a problem. According to recent reports out of China, 21 people have died as a result of wasp stings over the past three months in the province of Shaanxi alone. It might be time to just pack up our bags and return to the moons we came from. Might be time to turn Earth over to the wasps.

The wasps that have been killing people aren't just any old wasps. They're thought to be Vespa mandarinia, or, "Asian giant hornets." Asian giant hornets are the largest hornets in the world. They're the Asia of hornets, in fact. The average one grows to 2.2 inches in length, which is small compared to a car but TERRIFYINGLY HUGE when you consider it is a wasp the size of a meatball. If you never want to feel peace again, you can check out an image of four (dead) queen hornets—which are even bigger than workers and males—, with a hand to give them scale.


This year, the hornet attacks in China have been more frequent than usual; one health official suggested to the AP that warmer temperatures have led to increased breeding among the insects. The mayor of one affected city in Shaanxi announced last week plans to establish a 24-hour emergency response team to combat hornets in light of the recent fatalities. (Wasp season in China runs from May to November.)

Even if you are lucky enough not to die of acute renal failure as a result of Vespa mandarinia's sting, the experience of being being attacked by a swarm of meatball-sized insects (which can travel about 60 miles per day at speeds of nearly 25 mph), sounds, somehow, even more hellish than you would expect. This CNN write-up of survivors' testimonials reads like a catalogue of nightmares:

The more you run, the more they want to chase you," said another victim, whose kidneys were ravaged by the venom.


LINK



glatt  Wednesday Oct 2 10:16 AM

Those are big suckers.



CaliforniaMama  Wednesday Oct 2 02:55 PM

I think I'll stay indoors.



xoxoxoBruce  Wednesday Oct 2 08:12 PM

I'm more concerned about tigers, which I have a better chance of seeing.



SPUCK  Wednesday Oct 2 11:01 PM

You'd need a steel flyswatter!



BigV  Wednesday Oct 2 11:10 PM

An excellent guide for civilians like us for learning how to live with these creatures.

Homeowner Guide to Yellowjackets, Bald-Faced Hornets, and Paper Wasps


eta:

Two weeks ago I was working in Twil's yard and stirred up some yellow jackets. I looked down at the back of my left hand where I felt one stinging me through my glove, swatted it and then noticed that I had several buzzing around me. I ran like hell away from that spot waaaay in the back, swatting and swearing and yelling for help. I looked like those cartoons where the arms and legs are a whirling blur! I was stripping off my clothes as I ran toward the house, went straight into the shower when I was down to my underwear. I had a dozen stings I could count, on my arms, torso, hands by the time I got out of the shower, including one on the back of my head where it climbed into my hair. Very fucking painful.

I've since learned that I likely disturbed and underground nest and running like hell was my best defense. It's a banner year here in the Pacific Northwest for these creatures. The mild conditions helped them thrive, and they're likely to continue to thrive until the first frost, since that's what kills them. Kind of made me want to pour a thousand gallons of liquid nitrogen on the area. Fuuuuuuck that hurt.



jimhelm  Wednesday Oct 2 11:58 PM

To me, the larger the insect, the less frightening it is. If it's big enough that I can get hold of it by the non venomous end, that's even better.

Still, hornets are assholes.



JuancoRocks  Thursday Oct 3 04:28 AM

May have been done before.......





JR



SPUCK  Thursday Oct 3 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
An excellent guide for civilians like us for learning how to live with these creatures.

Homeowner Guide to Yellowjackets, Bald-Faced Hornets, and Paper Wasps


eta:

Two weeks ago I was working in Twil's yard and stirred up some yellow jackets. I looked down at the back of my left hand where I felt one stinging me through my glove, swatted it and then noticed that I had several buzzing around me. I ran like hell away from that spot waaaay in the back, swatting and swearing and yelling for help. I looked like those cartoons where the arms and legs are a whirling blur! I was stripping off my clothes as I ran toward the house, went straight into the shower when I was down to my underwear. I had a dozen stings I could count, on my arms, torso, hands by the time I got out of the shower, including one on the back of my head where it climbed into my hair. Very fucking painful.

I've since learned that I likely disturbed and underground nest and running like hell was my best defense. It's a banner year here in the Pacific Northwest for these creatures. The mild conditions helped them thrive, and they're likely to continue to thrive until the first frost, since that's what kills them. Kind of made me want to pour a thousand gallons of liquid nitrogen on the area. Fuuuuuuck that hurt.
Dude! The scene you paint wouldn't have taken much to turn really r e a l l y nasty. I'm glad you were fleet of feet and not allergic. Wow.

Maybe you should head back with a case of wasp spray. The stuff that shoots 20 feet. I'd also hang up a six pack of those yellow jacket traps. They work astoundingly well. I've seen them fill up full in a week. The traps would certainly carve off some of the population.


chrisinhouston  Thursday Oct 3 08:18 AM

My brother who lives in Taiwan told me last summer he was having some work done on his roof and the workers found a nest of very large wasps. They carefully removed it and captures most of the wasps. The workers told him their wives would cook the wasps up for dinner.



Gravdigr  Thursday Oct 3 03:10 PM

The pic of the hornets in-hand, does not in any way strike me as genuine.

Not knocking Nirvana, just suspicious of the pic.



Gravdigr  Thursday Oct 3 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
The workers told him their wives would cook the wasps up for dinner.
Yeah, umm......ƒuck that.


CaliforniaMama  Thursday Oct 3 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston View Post
The workers told him their wives would cook the wasps up for dinner.
They do look like they'd be nice and crunchy and why waste good food, especially when it is free!


Gravdigr  Friday Oct 4 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
...why waste good food...
Because BUGS!!!




xoxoxoBruce  Friday Oct 4 10:15 PM

Because I can, because I don't have to, because you can't make me.



orthodoc  Friday Oct 4 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama View Post
They do look like they'd be nice and crunchy and why waste good food, especially when it is free!
Because bug crunch would make me vomit ... and who said bugs were good food, anyway? Especially the venomous ones?

(I know that people in many parts of the world eat bugs. That doesn't change my mind.)


Nirvana  Saturday Oct 5 12:01 AM

5 more terrifying insects here:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15816...-in-world.html

the gratuitous use of expletives is completely warranted.



xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Oct 5 12:53 AM

Monsanto will save us.



Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.