Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

Apr 25th, 2017: Embroidery

Recent Images

Apr 24th, 2017: Money Laundering
April 23rd, 2017: Philadelphia Lottery
April 22nd, 2017: The Weed Nuns
Apr 21st, 2017: Cretors' Wagon
Apr 20th, 2017: “World For All”
April 19th, 2017: Automation
Apr 18th, 2017: UFO’s over Los Angeles

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   Undertoad  Wednesday Oct 26 10:14 AM

10/26/2005: All-woman C-130 crew



I can't find the image that had the four women crew in Afghanistan? I know there was an IotD with an all-female crew before... but even though it's not an IotD first, this shot of an all-woman C-130 crew, forwarded by xoB, is strangely compelling to me. Oh sure, there's the mystery of a military chick, with a firearm strapped to her thigh, who could kick your ass across the room -- maybe that's a part of it, I don't know. Or maybe it's the simple evidence that the world is changing, things are not what they were 40-50 years ago or even 10 years ago. Anyway, it seems like an image of the day.



barefoot serpent  Wednesday Oct 26 10:27 AM

I guess that would make it: Charlize-130?



sktzofrenic  Wednesday Oct 26 10:59 AM

Times are changing? In a world where there were no firearms a woman would be laughed to scorn if she joined the military. But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations. Women are a liability on the field...



Happy Monkey  Wednesday Oct 26 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations.
Or have a penis.


mitheral  Wednesday Oct 26 11:09 AM

This is my favourite all female in male dominated space crew.



Sundae  Wednesday Oct 26 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
Times are changing? In a world where there were no firearms a woman would be laughed to scorn if she joined the military. But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations. Women are a liability on the field...
What are you basing this on? From USA Today:

Army women in support units exposed to combat don't have higher post-traumatic stress or depression rates than their male counterparts a few months after leaving Iraq, according to a pilot study due Thursday.
It's believed to be the first research comparing the mental health of men and women doing violence-prone support jobs — medics, mechanics, drivers — in Iraq, says Army Lt. Col. Carl Castro, chief of military psychiatry at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

"If the argument is, women can't handle the stresses of combat as well as men, we see no evidence of a sex difference in these units," Castro says. Women can't serve in frontline combat, "but truck drivers in Iraq have the dangerous jobs," he says, and Army women fill about 10% of such support jobs.

Castro gave mental disorder screening tests to a random sample of men and women in these posts — 50 women and 300 men — three months after ending deployment. He says there wasn't a statistical difference between the two sexes: about 6% of men had depression, 8% of women; 11% of the men and 12% of women had PTSD symptoms.

"It's possible that sex differences could develop later on," says Castro, "but right now we don't think women need any more mental health help than men."

Edited for length - full article here http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...s-stress_x.htm


Karenv  Wednesday Oct 26 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
Times are changing? In a world where there were no firearms a woman would be laughed to scorn if she joined the military. But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations. Women are a liability on the field...
Don't come between a lioness and her cubs. Or a woman and her children. Or a woman and her family. Or community. Or country.

Women don't get into fights as precipitously, but when they do the Israeli army has found that they fight more fiercely.


plthijinx  Wednesday Oct 26 12:16 PM

women make fine pilots....take Patty Wagstaff for example.

Quote:
......she has earned her Commercial, Instrument, Seaplane and Commercial Helicopter Ratings. She is a Flight and Instrument Instructor and is rated and qualified to fly many airplanes, from World War II warbirds to jets. Her sister, Toni, is also a pilot and a captain for Continental Airlines based in Guam.



Elspode  Wednesday Oct 26 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
Times are changing? In a world where there were no firearms a woman would be laughed to scorn if she joined the military. But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations. Women are a liability on the field...
Yah...women are fer rapin' after the pillaging is over with. Women are fer bearin' more warrior baby boys and cookin' chow for the real fighters. Women are fer using as barter to get a new horse after the one you were ridin' was hacked out from under you by a screaming Celt wearin' nuthin' but wode and a battleaxe!


lawman  Wednesday Oct 26 01:08 PM

too bad the one third from the right couldn't smile for the camera - she looks like a hottie.

as for the post traumatic stress experienced by female soldiers being lower than their male counterparts... could this perhaps be due to the reality that they are the ones doing the beat on the street day in and day out? Yeah, driving a truck that could be hit with an IED wouldn't be fun, but for sheer adrenaline and intensity of combat.. it's the grunts with the helmets and M4A1's that experience the horror of war to a greater degree.

ok... flame away!



Lizsun  Wednesday Oct 26 01:47 PM

These women look trained and tough enough to me. But the camera angle throws me a little. It makes them all look awfully small. How tall would you say they are? They all look about 5 foot 1.

smiles,
Liz http://lettingmebe.blogspot.com



mickja1  Wednesday Oct 26 01:59 PM

'Women are a liability on the field...'

So what branch of the service were YOU in? And what battlefield have you fought on that you base these observations on? Or is this just tough guy banter?

G Mick LCDR (Ret) USN



wolf  Wednesday Oct 26 02:14 PM

They're in the Air Force. They can't kick anybody's ass on the ground. That's why they're in the Air Force. Maleness or Femaleness has nothing to do with that.

These women can probably fly circles around the other guys, although the C-130 is not known for it's nimbleness in the air.



Elspode  Wednesday Oct 26 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
They're in the Air Force. They can't kick anybody's ass on the ground.
Can a Sidewinder be launched while the aircraft is still on the runway?


wolf  Wednesday Oct 26 03:00 PM

Depends. If the rocket fires in the cradle, then I think it would flip the fighter on the ground. If a Sidewinder drops and then fires, it would get messy in different ways.

I am not up on my aviation armaments.



Promenea  Wednesday Oct 26 03:07 PM

"too bad the one third from the right couldn't smile for the camera - she looks like a hottie."

It's the stance, not her hot factor. She's standing more like a girl than the other ones. You think she's hot because her body language says she's more likely to be nice to you.

The one on the left would probably look great in a bikini but she's standing in a very masculine pose so she's less appealing.



mitheral  Wednesday Oct 26 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Can a Sidewinder be launched while the aircraft is still on the runway?
Don't know if it's a sidewinder; however, yep!


Katafalk  Wednesday Oct 26 03:57 PM

Female Soldiers from around the world
http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=29

enjoy!



Perry Winkle  Wednesday Oct 26 04:43 PM

Warrior Women in History



xoxoxoBruce  Thursday Oct 27 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizsun
These women look trained and tough enough to me. But the camera angle throws me a little. It makes them all look awfully small. How tall would you say they are? They all look about 5 foot 1.
The cargo bay is about 10' 3" wide, at the bottom.


xoxoxoBruce  Thursday Oct 27 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
Times are changing? In a world where there were no firearms a woman would be laughed to scorn if she joined the military. But just because you can shoot a gun doesn't mean you have the mental toughness to handle combat situations. Women are a liability on the field...
I disagree but welcome to the Cellar. Stick around and maybe we can find something to agree on.


xoxoxoBruce  Thursday Oct 27 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katafalk
Female Soldiers from around the world
http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=29

enjoy!
Great link! Wecome to the Cellar, Katafalk.
I see you just got your first major snow of the season.


Rock Steady  Thursday Oct 27 03:42 AM

The second from the left is a dead ringer for the X-Files Agent Scully, Gillian Anderson. Amazing resemblence.

I lurve strong women.



capnhowdy  Thursday Oct 27 08:07 AM

I appreciate anyone who is willing to serve. I'm sure they are qualified for their jobs or they wouldn't have them. These women are soldiers, not sissies. The sissies are back home searching for reasons why women shouldn't serve.
Even if they aren't the greatest in a combat situation (I'm just saying IF), They can perform duties that may free up soldiers who ARE to face the enemy head on. Thats what a military machine is all about. I love it.
And they look sexy as hell, too.......... This may be one C130 I may ENJOY a ride on.



Beestie  Thursday Oct 27 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktzofrenic
...Women are a liability on the field...
There are planes.

And then there are fields.

I would think not understanding the finer points that distinguish them would also be somewhat of a liability.



mrnoodle  Thursday Oct 27 03:10 PM

That's a lot of stewardesses for such a small crew. Where's the driver?




xoxoxoBruce  Friday Oct 28 11:54 AM

Somewhere over Colorado looking for her target.



tang  Saturday Oct 29 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
...These women can probably fly circles around the other guys,...
How can you tell that from the picture? Is there something about the way a pilot stands that indicates their skill level, or is that just PC wishful thinking? BTW, which one's the pilot?


wolf  Saturday Oct 29 02:47 PM

The notion being that women in the services, particularly in something like piloting, are under pressure to be better than the best guy.



Gromitspapa  Saturday Oct 29 04:36 PM

I got a kick out of this photo someone here posted before of a female B-1 pilot. I re-posted it on another forum and one funny reply was "Another empty kitchen."




<happy now?>



wolf  Saturday Oct 29 05:52 PM

Resize your images, man!!



plthijinx  Saturday Oct 29 10:31 PM

na, it's fine just the way it is. she's HAWT!



Gromitspapa  Sunday Oct 30 11:57 AM

Resized it (because it was gone). 291K and 950 pixels too much? Sheesh!



lookout123  Saturday Nov 12 02:55 AM

there is no greater satisfaction (as far as i know) than being a devoted cellarite and looking at an IOTD and thinking "i remember the night i spent with that one"....

yup.



Undertoad  Saturday Nov 12 10:36 AM

!



wolf  Saturday Nov 12 08:13 PM

You dawg!



xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Nov 12 10:12 PM

Did she know it?
Seriously though, I know you two much of a gentleman to say which one....or go into details how this happened......or link to the hidden camera videos.



lookout123  Saturday Nov 12 10:54 PM

once upon a deployment, i was weary...



BigV  Sunday Nov 13 12:58 AM

...weary weary howny...



Undertoad  Sunday Nov 13 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
there is no greater satisfaction (as far as i know) than being a devoted cellarite and looking at an IOTD and thinking "i remember the night i spent with that one"....
Just as long as it isn't a Friday image.



Clodfobble  Sunday Nov 13 06:16 PM

I'm going to guess the third from the left. She looks like what I imagine your type to be.



richlevy  Sunday Nov 13 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
there is no greater satisfaction (as far as i know) than being a devoted cellarite and looking at an IOTD and thinking "i remember the night i spent with that one"....

yup.
It's just amazing what a color printer and glossy paper can get you.


lookout123  Sunday Nov 13 11:24 PM

Quote:
It's just amazing what a color printer and glossy paper can get you
a lotta paper cuts...


clodfobble - "i'll neeeeveeer tee-elll" /brittney murphy/


Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.