Visit the Cellar!

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: bright folks talking about everything. The Cellar is the original coffeeshop with no coffee and no shop. Founded in 1990, The Cellar is one of the oldest communities on the net. Join us at the table if you like!

 
What's IotD?

The interesting, amazing, or mind-boggling images of our days.

IotD Stuff

ARCHIVES - over 13 years of IotD!
About IotD
RSS2
XML

Permalink Latest Image

Oct 17th, 2017: Queen Tarzi

Recent Images

Oct 16th, 2017: Cook Pines
Oct 15th, 2017: Station Dog (Jim Dog)
Oct 14th, 2017: Doughnut Girls & Donut Dollies
Oct 13th(Friday), 2017: Internment Camps
Oct 11th, 2017: Santa's Bones
Oct 10th, 2017: Blood in the Streets
Oct 9th, 2017: Food Rationing

The CELLAR Tip Mug
Some folks who have noticed IotD

Neatorama
Worth1000
Mental Floss
Boing Boing
Switched
W3streams
GruntDoc's Blog
No Quarters
Making Light
darrenbarefoot.com
GromBlog
b3ta
Church of the Whale Penis
UniqueDaily.com
Sailor Coruscant
Projectionist

Link to us and we will try to find you after many months!

Common image haunts

Astro Pic of the Day
Earth Sci Pic of the Day
We Make Money Not Art
Spluch
ochevidec.net
Strange New Products
Geisha Asobi Blog
Cute animals blog (in Russian)
20minutos.es
Yahoo Most Emailed

Please avoid copyrighted images (or get permission) when posting!

Advertising

Philadelphia Pawn Shop
The best real estate agent in Montgomery County
The best T.38 Fax provider
Epps Beverages and Beer, Limerick, PA
Sal's Pizza, Elkins Park
Burholme Auto Body, Philadelphia
Coles Tobacco, Pottstown
ERM Auto Service, Glenside
Glenside Collision
Moorehead Catering, Trappe
Salon 153, Bala
Dominicks Auto Body, Phoenixville

   Undertoad  Sunday Dec 4 02:27 PM

12/4/2005: Obelisk condom



Presented without further comment, other the basic facts: the Obelisk of Buenos Aires is hereby covered with a giant condom to commemorate World AIDS Day, December 1, 2005.



xoxoxoBruce  Sunday Dec 4 03:10 PM

Somehow I can't see the current administration allowing that on the Washington Monument.



Troubleshooter  Sunday Dec 4 03:14 PM

Why not? We could use all of the protection we can get...



xoxoxoBruce  Sunday Dec 4 04:38 PM

Protection, yes. But who from whom is the question.



Dagney  Sunday Dec 4 06:48 PM

Now gentlemen, I know you can't POSSIBLY be implying that there are dicks in DC.

No......not THAT.

/sarcasm off



lawman  Monday Dec 5 12:52 PM

impacts in the 3rd world

Friends of mine just returned from a whitewater kayaking trip to Uganda where one of their observations was in regards to the negative influence of the neo-conservative US administration on the Ugandian people.

Prior to the Republicans gaining office, there was a very strong safe-sex campaign, promoting the use of condoms (which were freely available in a economically poor country). Part of this promotion consisted of large billboards with 'condom-sense' types of advertising.

In the last 6 years, however, health related funding from the US has been only given with the stipulation that abstinence be the only promoted anti-AIDS programs. Those 'condom-sense' billboards have been replastered with abstinence related messages. It's economic blackmail pushing conservative values onto a foreign country at the expense of the health (and lives) of it's citizens. And guess what - new HIV infection rates have reversed their downward trend.

Of course I have a bias against policies like these, and I'm no fan of the Bush administration, but the above is presented with true facts.

Here's a link to a page from Human Rights Watch that has much more information:

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2005/03/30/uganda10380.htm



dar512  Monday Dec 5 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
but the above is presented with true facts.
As opposed to all those false facts that keep turning up.


glatt  Monday Dec 5 01:28 PM

My understanding is that Bush, despite his many flaws - too numerous to mention here, has dramatically increased the funding that is available to fight AIDS in Africa. I also don't care for the strings he has attached to that money, but you have to give him credit for what he has done in the fight against AIDS. He could have just turned his back like everyone else.



Troubleshooter  Monday Dec 5 01:43 PM

So you're saying that more money spent in such a way that it won't work is better than a little money that would work?



lawman  Monday Dec 5 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
As opposed to all those false facts that keep turning up.
(DOH!) oops, I goofed! Good catch Dar. Although, false facts could also be referencing propoganda and spin doctoring.

just for fun I googled "false facts" and found this book:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A18828%3A21518

excerpt:
George Washington was not the first president of the United States.
Leap year does not occur every four years.
Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb.
Sound does not travel at the speed of sound.

those I do find particularily dubious - wonder what their answers are.


glatt  Monday Dec 5 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
George Washington was not the first president of the United States.
Oh, I know this one. John Hanson was the first President of the United States (under the Articles of Confederation.) Washington was 1st President of the United Stated (under the Constitution.) There were 7 Presidents between Hanson and Washington (all under the Articles.)

It's a little complicated.


Troubleshooter  Monday Dec 5 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
Sound does not travel at the speed of sound.

those I do find particularily dubious - wonder what their answers are.
I'm guessing this one is based on the fact that the speed of sound is relative to the density of the medium it travels through.


dar512  Monday Dec 5 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman
just for fun I googled "false facts" and found this book:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A18828%3A21518

excerpt:
George Washington was not the first president of the United States.
Leap year does not occur every four years.
Thomas Edison did not invent the light bulb.
Sound does not travel at the speed of sound.

those I do find particularily dubious - wonder what their answers are.
Cool. I love this kind of stuff. And one of the local libraries just got it in.


Happy Monkey  Monday Dec 5 03:57 PM

Leap Year is every four years
EXCEPT for those divisible by 100
EXCEPT for those divisible by 400.

So 1980 is, but 1900 isn't, but 2000 is.



dar512  Monday Dec 5 04:59 PM

I'll take the last one, then. TE did not invent the lightbulb. He improved it to the point where it became useful.



glatt  Monday Dec 5 05:20 PM

Yeah, well, Edison is vastly overrated anyway. He had a good PR department. I'll give him that. Nikola Tesla. Now that's a guy that rocked. Our entire system of electricity is based on that guy's work.



dar512  Monday Dec 5 05:57 PM

I agree.



xoxoxoBruce  Monday Dec 5 09:07 PM

That's shocking.



capnhowdy  Monday Dec 5 10:00 PM

Tesla, or the agreement?



russotto  Monday Dec 5 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Somehow I can't see the current administration allowing that on the Washington Monument.
The Washington Monument had already had a monument condom. OK, really it was a scaffolding during renovation, but it pretty much resembled a monument condom


Elspode  Tuesday Dec 6 01:12 AM

I can't seem to think of anything except for a visual of a monumental amount of spooge that is going to take quite some time to dry up before disposal.



xoxoxoBruce  Tuesday Dec 6 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Tesla, or the agreement?
Electricity.


bargalunan  Thursday Dec 8 04:07 PM

12 01 1993 in Paris on "La Concorde" square :



capnhowdy  Thursday Dec 8 05:04 PM

I don't think this one is "ribbed for her pleasure".



hideouse  Friday Dec 9 11:02 AM

Hello, Cellar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I'm guessing this one is based on the fact that the speed of sound is relative to the density of the medium it travels through.
I probably could pick a better way to introduce m'self, but this is a topic I got mildly interested in one day during an aircraft systems.
the speed of sound does not depend on density or temperature, except as how these things affect the stiffness of the medium. So warm rubber( quite dense) transmits sound slower that glass (less dense). Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.


capnhowdy  Friday Dec 9 03:25 PM

welcome to the Cellar, hideouse.
Nice piece of info there.



xoxoxoBruce  Friday Dec 9 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideouse
Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.
So the humming will transmit faster if it's harder...hmmm....
Uh....thanks hideouse.....that calls for some experimenting.
Oh, and I second the welcome.


Troubleshooter  Saturday Dec 10 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideouse
I probably could pick a better way to introduce m'self, but this is a topic I got mildly interested in one day during an aircraft systems.
the speed of sound does not depend on density or temperature, except as how these things affect the stiffness of the medium. So warm rubber( quite dense) transmits sound slower that glass (less dense). Stiffness determines the speed of sound in any medium.
I guess since you've shown me yours I'll show you mine...

I was a sonar technician on the USS City of Corpus Cristi for two years, so my study of acoustics is a bit more thorough.

If what you say is true, why is the speed of sound in water five times that of the speed of sound in air? Neither are very stiff. What you say is true on the surface, but when you dive a bit deeper it becomes more clear.

Check out this page here for information.


xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Dec 10 10:33 AM

Quote:
If what you say is true, why is the speed of sound in water five times that of the speed of sound in air? Neither are very stiff.
Jump out of an airplane over the water and you'll see the difference in stiffness.


capnhowdy  Saturday Dec 10 11:24 AM

I thought the key word here was density. Surely water is more dense than air. But whadda I know. I'm just an old Marine.



mitheral  Saturday Dec 10 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Somehow I can't see the current administration allowing that on the Washington Monument.
I'd bet if a protest condom outfitted with a message were to be snuck on to the Washington Monument it would take a good half a day to be removed and get lots of air time on the nightly news. What's security like around the monument?


glatt  Saturday Dec 10 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitheral
What's security like around the monument?
Very, very tight.


xoxoxoBruce  Saturday Dec 10 10:46 PM

Just scaling the monument and hauling up anything big enough to drape it would be an impossible task without heavy equipment.



capnhowdy  Saturday Dec 10 10:58 PM

with a condom this size, you better have some "heavy equipment".



Your reply here?

The Cellar Image of the Day is just a section of a larger web community: a bunch of interesting folks talking about everything. Add your two cents to IotD by joining the Cellar.