The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
SamIam

So has anyone had experience with their teeth being pruned, shaped, replaced, whateve

So I went to the dentist today for the first time in like a million years. I didn't expect good news, nor did he give me any. I have 4 teeth that demand immedient attention before the infection escapes and starts running down my general health. Actually, I suspected that my teeth were responsible at least partially for the spell of extreme fatigue I've been experiencing this summer.

Anyhow... Door number I: can get all 4 teeth pulled and be done with them. After a healing period, I could then be fitted with a bridge. The rest of my teeth can probably be saved by fillings, cleanings, etc.

Or door number two, I can get 4 root canals and 4 crowns on the really bad teeth. This procedure would cost only slightly more; I could save 4 of my teeth and not have to adjust to wearing a bridge. The success of this procedure is about 90% my dentist said. He also said the process would take longer than door number one and my teeth will only get worse the longer I wait to treat them.

Frankly, the thought of a root canal scares me more than the thought of having a tooth pulled. On the other hand, I've known more than a few people who can't get used to false teeth or even a bridge and walk around toothless, as a result. I do NOT want to be toothless. I refuse!

So to anyone whose had experience with the procedure, do root canals hurt as much as I imagine them to? Did the combo of root canal plus crown save the tooth over time - like at least 5 to 10+ years?

For anyone who might have a bridge, was it really that hard to get used to? I had braces as a kid and I survived that, so surely I can handle a bridge. Maybe?

Your thoughts and inputs and experiences needed!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Do you have a few years? Let me tell you about my Adventures in Dentistry.

I've had 3 root canals. They were quite painful for me, especially the first one on a tooth that was supposed to be 'dead' but was not. That one was the result of falling on the playground in 2nd grade and jamming one front tooth into my skull...it couldn't be saved, and the other one was supposed to 'die.' I remember once them sticking the novocaine needle right into the hole and into the nerve area. I was a tough kid.

Fast forward however many years until I turned 18 and they deemed my head had grown enough to bridge the missing tooth (so I had years of a partial plate before that, just the one front tooth attached to it, in a young girl's most sensitive teenage/appearance years. It fell out in the deep end of the city pool one time and my older brother stopped everyone yelling "my sister's tooth fell out" the superhero he is to me and a bunch of kids dove in to find it. Looking back it is funny but OMG was I embarrassed and shy.)

Until it broke two superbowls ago that bridge served me well, and lasted way longer than it should have...27 years. I've since had it replaced and yeah, it was expensive, and yeah, it hurt, but I would recommend doing anything you can to save your teeth.

My parents spent so much on me as a kid for my teeth (a chain reaction from the initial accident) in braces (on and off TWICE) and root canals and the bridge and everything else...but it's because they never wanted me to have to deal with the plate like they have.

(I guess I should say here that there is a difference between what some call a 'bridge' and an actual bridge. A plate that can be removed isn't what I call a bridge. What I have simply bridges the teeth on either side of the empty spot, and looks pretty natural. It doesn't come out. It's permanent. My palate is skin, not plastic.)

So, long story short way too late: yeah it might hurt and yeah it's expensive but I too know people who cannot get used to dentures. Then again I know people who don't mind their dentures at all.

But save your teeth if at all possible. In the long run, I think it's the least painful route.

Since I've dealt a bit with both, I probably have a unique perspective.

Wanna hear the rest of my dental history?

Last edited by infinite monkey; 08-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
SamIam

Tell all, IM! I want to hear every last juicey detail!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
infinite monkey

Hahahhahahaha! Just the facts, ma'am. Well, just the pertinent to your situation facts with some vivid imagery, for effect.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

I'm also in favor of the RC and crown. I haven't had an RC, but I have 4 crowns. It stinks (literally), but doesn't hurt. The impressions are the nastiest part, and you'll have to do them whichever route you go.....
Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Ouch! Good luck to you is all I can say Sam.
I had to have 18 or 19 teeth pulled, they were all "baby" teeth, but they had MONSTER roots. I was drugged up good most of the times though and had a damn good dentist who made sure I would not feel it.
Since they were baby teeth though, I didn't have to worry about the crown vs bridge thing obviously, so I can't really help you there.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Rrrraven
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post

So to anyone whose had experience with the procedure, do root canals hurt as much as I imagine them to? Did the combo of root canal plus crown save the tooth over time - like at least 5 to 10+ years?
I've had a couple of root canals 5 + years ago (maybe more). I ignored a small cavity and that's never good. I didn't have any pain during the procedure because drugs are good. But, what really got to me was the little tool they use to file out, if you will, the pulp in your, well, root. If you're familiar with the shoeing of horses. . .there is a tool, it's called a hoof rasp I believe. The dentist takes this tiny rasp and files out the pulp. It's a vibration sensation to me, and can be highly bothersome. But again, with enough good drugs you can get past it.

Keeping your teeth is worth it I think.
Rrrraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I have had all my teeth crowned (armor plating!). To do this, my original teeth had to be ground down so I didn't present huge teeth. I also had several root canals and cavities dealt with.

I highly recommend general anesthesia if you can afford it. I went with local the first time and I hated it. There was still pain, the smell was horrible and it took two trips to complete. The second time I opted for the general (only $200 more!) and the dentist finished everything that hurt in one trip. I did have to go back for the temp crowns to be removed and the permanent ones installed but that didn't hurt and only took a few minutes.

Given that I'm terrified of dentists, I strongly recommend the general. It's the best way to fly, and there was absolutely no pain, even after. If you were anywhere near El Paso, I would recommend a visit to my dentist. I can't say enough good about him.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Go for the root canals. Deal with the tedium up front and you will save in the long run. I say tedium because they take a while, they really aren't painful at all, you should be well numbed. My dentist uses bleach to eliminate the root rather than rasping as I recall. I then had a crown put on. It was a couple of visits, but I have my tooth and it works fine. prosthetic teeth are really a last resort kind of thing. There is no end of fiddling and what not with them.

I've never met anyone who was glad they got rid of their teeth and got dentures, partials, bridges or whatever.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
infinite monkey

Note: they shouldn't be painful. Everyone is different. A needle into a nerve? That's pretty darn painful. It got so I wouldn't get novocaine for a regular filling: that pain felt like feathers comparatively.

I agree with foot, though, it's all worth it even if it is painful.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
monster

I think CapnHowdy was pleased with his denture decision....
Old 08-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A fellow in Wilson County jail reshaped some of my teeth for me once.

Once.

He was not a dentist

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
monster

Here's Capn's thread
Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Good luck with your dental work. I know how going through anything is a big pain. Haven't been anything personally, but I've seen lots of stuff with my mom.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Hey, thanks, Monster! That was very helpful, and thanks to all who have replied with advice and good wishes!

Brian, I don't think the clinic gives general anesthetic, since the place is a low income, no frills outfit. If they did, I'd opt for it because I am a terrible coward when it comes to my teeth.

Foot, I've known several people who did well with their dentures/bridges. And I've known some that just can't wear them. So, I guess its a crap shoot. I would be more inclined to getting crowns, but I've already had two molars pulled from my lower jaw, leaving quite a gap near the back of my mouth. May as well just have a larger gap and a bridge to go with it.

Right now, my biggest problem with a bridge is figuring out how to pay for it. The truck needs new tires like yesterday, and I can't go into winter with bald tires - just asking for an accident. Figure tires will cost $400 - $600, at least. My salary at the Bates will cover that but not tires plus a bridge, too. And the clinic requires full payment for each procedure the same day it is done.

I had a very interesting conversation with our local street corner guy who holds out a sign reading: NEED WORK. He is another victim of Cortez's horrid economy. He doesn't drink like some do. Seemed nice enough and he really is willing to work. I met him because a friend hired him to fix his corrals and I happened to drop by.

Street Corner Guy told me that in a good week he can get several jobs which usually pay around $10.00/hr, and he can do anything from pulling weeds to helping to re-model a house.

I study the want ads for any town within a 50 mile radius everyday and nothing. Maybe I should be a Street Corner Girl! Equal opportunity and all that! Or maybe I should poison my co-worker at the Bates so I could get her hours. Well, eventually someone is bound to come along who is foolish enough to hire me. Patience. Blech! I HATE patience almost as much as having my teeth pulled.