The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fight the Grammer Nazis

Fake language rules can come from respected sources, but that’s no reason to believe them.

None are? None is? They’re both correct.

The girl that I marry. No, it doesn’t have to be whom I marry.

Since you asked. It’s totally legit to use since for because, unless it would cause ambiguity.

Healthy choices. Many of us have been taught that it’s healthy people but healthful foods.

“Till” was there first. In recent decades, somebody launched the mischievous rumor that till is a substandard form of until.

Verbing nouns.

“And” can start a sentence. So can But and However.

Misspelled is not misused. Errors like “faster then a speeding bullet” and “taking a lot of flack” are mistakes in spelling, not comprehension.

The adverb can be “wrong.”

You only live once. Spotting “misplacements” of only is a hobby for some picky readers — they’d rewrite that sentence as “you live only once,” so there’s no way to misinterpret it.

linkhttp://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/id..._rules/?page=1
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
“Till” was there first. In recent decades, somebody launched the mischievous rumor that till is a substandard form of until. In fact, till is ancient English, and until was formed by combining on and till. If you want to disparage a member of this family, go with ’til, the entirely superfluous 20th-century addition.
That's fascinating! I had no idea.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Gag me with a spoon.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
Juniper
I know, right?

I never criticize anyone's spelling, punctuation or grammar in discussion board posts or e-mails because the Law of Karma (or something) says that if someone does, he or she is virtually guaranteed to have one of the aforementioned issues with his own post or e-mail.

It's happened to me. Ugh. So embarrassing. I had a brain fart and forgot how to spell "mischievous." It did not go uncorrected.

Besides, it's just rude. People tend to do this when they can't think of any other way to respond in a debate. "Blah blah." "Oh yeah? Well, you can't spell."

The language is evolving. You can tell the difference between someone who knows the rules and breaks them intentionally, for some effect, and someone who just doesn't get it. Or doesn't care.

The only ones I really criticize are the ones who don't care.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

1. Besides, it's just rude. People tend to do this when they can't think of any other way to respond in a debate. "Blah blah." "Oh yeah? Well, you can't spell."

2. The language is evolving. You can tell the difference between someone who knows the rules and breaks them intentionally, for some effect, and someone who just doesn't get it. Or doesn't care.
So true for both points.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Gr8 thread.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Gr8? Gr8? What kind of grammer/spelling is that!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Grammar.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In only 7 posts.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Happy Monkey

I held off for a while.

But please note:
Quote:
Misspelled is not misused. Errors like “faster then a speeding bullet” and “taking a lot of flack” are mistakes in spelling, not comprehension.
I was correcting spelling, not comprehension.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I don't criticise. At least I don't think I do.
Sometimes an intelligent person obviously misuses a phrase, word, spelling etc in which case I'll point it out. Not as a criticism, but because I'm sure they'd prefer to know. IRL I'll pick people up on pronunciation. I hope I don't come across as mean, but myself I'd rather be told. Of course there are many typos, slip ups or things that just don't matter and I don't want to ally myself with people that froth at the mouth about those.

Some things I've learned are cultural differences, some are regional. Again - better that I know that.

Do I judge people on their spelling and the writen presentation of their posts? Yes, I do, to an extent. I was going to write sorry, but I'm not sorry. I do not hold anyone to a particularly high standard - my grammar and spelling are workaday. And I know my punctuation is pretty appalling - I consult the internet when writing formally.

But anyone who consistently uses text abbrevs or regularly misuses homonyms will give me a certain opinion about their communication skills.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't see anything wrong in "faster than a speeding bullet", so I'd probably irritate purists myself. I know my enunciation would make experts faint, anyway. And I'd not like UG to parse my posts

I suppose it depends on your definition of Grammar Nazi.
I'll not be breaking down any bookcases any time soon anyway.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I don't be gonna touch dis thread here.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I don't criticise. At least I don't think I do.

Some things I've learned are cultural differences, some are regional. Again - better that I know that.
Exactly. And at the risk of belaboring the obvious, "criticize" is the American spelling. Or, shall I say, belabouring the obvious?

Which reminds me. A few years ago I wrote an article for a Canadian magazine. I asked the editor, should I try to write it in "Canadian-ese?" Meaning, things like labour, colour, flavour, criticise, etc.?

She said no, Americans just get it all wrong anyhow. Their editors would fix it right up for me, and she appreciated that at least I knew the difference.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
I'm ashamed to say I didn't see anything wrong in "faster than a speeding bullet", so I'd probably irritate purists myself.
Yes you did, subconsciously, because you corrected it when you rewrote it.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
Rhianne
Nearly done.

The processes of putting words together and the words themselves were invented for one purpose – to convey meaning. So long at that’s achieved I don’t mind people breaking the rules at all – in fact I’m all for it.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote