The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Songs You Come Back To--

again and again, no matter what the emotional landscape.

Me? WereWolves of London is a total favorite. Anything by KC and the SunShine Band. And, natch, the entire musical score of Rocky Horror.

When I'm pissed at a dude I like Carly Simon tempered with Paul Simon goin' to GraceLand. Village People are also soothing. What say the Vast UnWashed?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, I would put songs into categories like 'old standards', songs Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, etc would sing and show tunes.

I have an uncle who loves doing 'New York, New York'. I get a little choked up over 'The Impossible Dream' (MP3) from 'Man of La Mancha'.

Some of the best songs I remember were performed by some of the worst singers in the movie versions. Zero Mostel in 'Fiddler on the Roof' and almost the entire cast of 'Paint Your Wagon' have a rough honest quality that sell the song. I'd rather hear Lee Marvin sing the title song than someone more polished like Robert Goulet. It also makes me less embarrased to sing them in the shower, which is one test of how much I like a song.

I also like Pop Music, but these two categories are more tied to the personalities of the singers who performed them or the plots of the shows they came from which gives them a little more emotional depth.

Okay, now I'm going have to boot up the Karaoke software....

BTW, here is the link to the gallery of musical avi and mp3 clips.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-12-2006 at 06:07 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Oh yeah...the opening riff of "Get Down Tonight" never fails to put me in groove mode.

Also, anything by Al Green is always perfect.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Lucy
Colloquialist

Van Morrison. John Prine. Paul Simon. Lyle Lovett. kd lang. Eurythmics. Allison Krauss.
Greatful Dead. Beatles. The Indigo Girls.
In no particular order.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
Van Morrison. John Prine. Paul Simon. Lyle Lovett. kd lang. Eurythmics. Allison Krauss.
Greatful Dead. Beatles. The Indigo Girls.
In no particular order.
I do like Van Morrison. I went to a school that had an atrium with a piano in it and one of the guys in my class did an amazing version with Moondance that I remember more than 25 years later. I also have Van Morrison with The Chieftans.

BTW, are there any songs you like to sing when noone is around?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Lucy
Colloquialist

I do. I'll sing Moondance when noone is here. And Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes.
I'm not saying I know all the words, mind you. And Allison Krauss songs. I'm not saying I can hit those notes either. And of course, Ripple. I do know all the words to that one.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

All things Peter Gabriel, up through So. Security is my actual favorite. I have played several copies of the audiocassette into uselessness.

I love my recordings of Beru Revue, a Philly band from the 80s.

Enya's first album gets played over and over and over.

Loreena McKennitt's The Masque and the Mirror is as close to perfect as albums get.

I can actually carry a tune and don't mind singing in the presence of others.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #8
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
I do. I'll sing Moondance when noone is here. And Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes.
I'm not saying I know all the words, mind you. And Allison Krauss songs. I'm not saying I can hit those notes either. And of course, Ripple. I do know all the words to that one.
When I was in college I made the mistake of singing in the shower once, which resulted in my being given a nickname (and no, I'm not going to say what it was).

I don't know every word to the songs either. I considered opening a business selling washcloths with lyrics on them.

The next party, Wolf, I'm bringing the laptop and the Karaoke software.

Last edited by richlevy; 02-12-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Lucy
Colloquialist

"I considered opening a business selling washcloths with lyrics on them"
Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

joy to the world by three dog night. That's always a good one in the shower. Doesn't matter if you don't get the notes right, and there's not many words.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Guyute
Gamehenge

No matter what?

Phish: Rift, Maze, Free or Possum (either 1 of those 4-depends on how much time I have)

or in absence of a Phish CD: Blues Traveler's Carolina Blues, Run Around, or Felicia
Old 02-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I can actually carry a tune and don't mind singing in the presence of others.
I can carry parts of a tune, and I have the uncanny knack for knowing the words to practically every song I've heard more than three times.

I've thought about working on my singing ability, since the words are right there.

Anyway, early Eno "here come the warm jets" "another green world"

Nick Lowe, also toasted a few "security" cassettes, squeeze, roxy music's Avalon
Old 02-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh yes on all the above footer! And also select bits of Before and After Science, the trippier bits but also "Julie With" which, come to think of it, is probably the trippiest of them all.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Nice call Rich. When I lived in Ithaca, I caught an excellent local production of La Mancha.

When I need to mellow out I return to Marley, Neville Brothers, Van Morrison, and others. My other moods don't seem to link to particular bands.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

CCR, Tina Turner, Bob Seger.....toe tapping not optional.
And when nobody's around.......Y M C A.