The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 10-18-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Japanese referrer

We have 72 guest visitors right now because the web site below is pointing to the image of the day blog view, beijing park page, and driving a ton of Japanese traffic to us. Looks like a Japanese blog of some sort? In any case, it's way popular!

http://www13.xdsl.ne.jp/~techle/
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:16 AM   #2
Nic Name
retired

Japanese a tempt pizza

UT baits Japanese referrer with pizza!

Last edited by Nic Name; 10-30-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:42 PM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

I don't see the cellar link on that page. Is the link from a few days ago, or am I missing it? Anyway, here's the babelfish translation.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
juju
no one of consequence

Oh, I get it. This is from 2 weeks ago!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:32 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

We need to break the old record of 809...that record's a year old now. We need something big...we need a whoop-ass photo that Ike can fashion into a masterpiece.

Fuck 1000...I'm thinking 2000 at one time. UT, is that possible, or would the server lose its mind?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:03 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It was pretty much pegged out during the last one, but if we knew in advance, I do have a faster system that I could move it to. I should probably move it anyway...
Old 10-30-2002, 10:33 PM   #7
dave

it's not on the penguin yet?
Old 10-30-2002, 10:55 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No. Truth be told, the power supply on the 1U Penguin is a little too noisy for my tastes. So I ordered a replacement, but I'm too lazy to install it.

And then my buddy said that they would be happy to pay me for my consulting gig with a deal for a 1U Sun machine, a Netra 115, for $800 if I like. So I got that going for me, but y'know, I'm not even gonna take the deal. it's really not for lack of CPU cycles that all the sites I run operate. Machines are not the problem - they are cheap and utterly fast nowadays. The problem is generally more likely to be bandwidth, and above that, and above all else, marketing.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:04 AM   #9
dave

Welp... I should point you to linuxwebnet.com, where I currently have a server hosted. 100GB transfer/month, really damn FAST... low pings (for game servers)... $150/month. So you could always host there. They're in Baltimore, which is probably ~2 hours from you and ~1 hour from me. So you could refer your clients to them and then install a server there. We've been happy with 'em. Check 'em out for colo if you're seriously hurting for bandwidth.

http://d.gaveup.org/images for some big files to download to see speeds... well, big pictures anyway http://d.gaveup.org/mp3 for Dobie Grey's Drift Away, which is a few megs.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:21 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Appreciate it, but if I colo somewhere it'll be a place I can drive to and get into at midnight on any given day. For a while I colo'd at a place only open M-F and closed at 9pm. Never again: people want their sites running over the weekend.

The bigger problem is always replacement parts. I want to be able to replace a MB if I have to. That's why I'm not taking the Sun.

But still, the biggest problem is marketing.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:30 AM   #11
dave

Ja.

Like I said, I would have taken you up, but we decided that we really needed the bandwidth for a game server (that's stupidly popular). So... we couldn't have possibly paid the price you'd want for the bandwidth we'd eat.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:31 AM   #12
juju
no one of consequence

Seems like you have a pretty healthy userbase to me.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:38 AM   #13
dave

One of our big things with colo was that if the server went down, I needed to be able to get to it. And they assured me that if it did, all I needed to do was call ahead and talk to one of the security guards. Give him my account number and name, which has to be on the list of approved people to get to the hardware. Then I go and show photo ID and I'm in. And supposedly I can do this any time I want, though it'll never be so urgent that I need to go at midnight. We just run email/web/q3.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:45 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not just marketing the Cellar, although that happens from time to time. I mean marketing my own services for managing web sites and such. I could easily triple the bandwidth my clients take up and not even wince. What I need are more clients!

Or to really work on the hosting, although plain vanilla hosting for lowball pricing is not really my cup o' tea, I like to offer advanced services and quality adminning and such.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:46 AM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I got used to going at midnight because when I worked with an ISP I had to run downtown to reset modems every three weeks or so, and I quickly realized that driving into Philly at 2pm was 10 times the hassle of driving in at midnight.