The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-29-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Why oh why?

why does nobody ever ask me out? Okay....I shall amend that....Why oh why does nobody who isnt thirty years my senior and three bottles of wine drunker than I am ever ask me out?

It's not something that was bothering me particularly, until my ex (Judah) brought it up tonight.

He ws visiting his bro in London a few weeks ago, and his bro (John) asked after me (me and John were quite close when Judah and I were together.... kind of considered being unfaithful with him, but never went through with it).

He wanted to know if I'd had anyone else since me and Judah split up....and the answer was no. He asked Judah why not?

So.....Judah and I got together to watch some sci-fi he'd downloaded as we do maybe twice or three times a week and he relays his conversattion with John, to me.

Judah and I lived together for about 12 years or so....since we split up 4 or 5 years ago, he's had one serious girlfriend and two not so serious girlfriends....me? no one. Not that I am looking for anyone, but frankly nobody has asked.

I consider myself to be relatively pretty. I certainly don't consider myself to be ugly. Five years ago, I couldn't walk down the street without some guy making a comment or looking back over his shoulder when he'd passed me by.....now....I think it's probably three or four years since a guy even noticed me walking by. The only time I am noticed is when I am interracting with very troubled, older men in a professional capacity, and I think that's just basic transference.

Now....don't get me wrong, I am not looking for love....I am happy as I am and if it crosses my path then so be it....but I have to wonder, since the question has been asked of me....why ? Why in nearly half a decade of being single has nobody actually propositioned me or asked me out?
All of a sudden I am wondering, if I have been wrong all these years in assuming I'm quite pretty. Am I really so unattractive that no guy is interested? Why, when I had a relationship was I fighting off offers? Was it just that I was so much younger then?

Anyway. It doesn't really matter much, but it's something to tax my mind whilst quietly drunk. I suspect I will, in thirty years, be a single, dotty, dog owning history professor.....and that's ok.....but I'd quite like, just once in a while to be asked...ya know? Maybe I have just reached that 'invisible age'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Maybe it's time to actively participate in your lack of dates? Have you asked anyone out?
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
DanaC

heheh Nope. Like I said, I am not actually looking for anything. It was just the realisation that, whereas a few years ago, I wasn't looking but guys were trying......now I am not looking and nobody is asking:P

Pure vanity.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Aliantha

lol...well there you have it then.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
DanaC

*grins*
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
busterb
NSABFD

Well the first few lines go me.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
DanaC

Okay.....I was very drunk and in a 'bleak' mood when I wrote that. I don't know how accurate it was really. There have been one or two guys who've shown interest, thinking about it, that I haven't really responded to. I think the whole 'being a mature student, surrounded by 18yr olds' is starting to get to me a little :P
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Aliantha

I think you really do want to find someone to snuggle with Dana. And I'm entirely serious about that.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
DanaC

I have moments where snuggling sounds nice......most of the time I'm too busy :P I think 95% of the time, I am content.....it's just that pesky 5%.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
Aliantha

Well...I guess maybe if you try putting yourself out there, you might find someone who fits in with that 5% of the time. You might even find someone who fits into a bit more of your time...or maybe you just need to find yourself a fark buddy.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
DanaC

LoL a fark buddy sounds kind of nice:P

I think I just had a bit of a crisis of confidence lookswise, brought on by too much drink and stupidly listening to Judah and his bro.:P
Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Aliantha

Well I think you're hot.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #13
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Why, when I had a relationship was I fighting off offers?
My Hubby and I discussed this some time ago...
I drive a Corvette and get a lot of attention because of the car, not because I am pretty. I think I look okay, but I don't go out of my way to 'pretty-up' at all when in public; eyeliner, mascara and clothes that fit. Full makeup is reserved for xmas parties w/ hubby's work.

I will talk to anyone about Corvettes, that wants to talk to me. I manage to surprise many men with my knowledge about Corvettes in general, the third generation 'vette in particular AND I have a fabulous working knowledge of engine and accessory parts and their uses and problems encountered with them.
I have been propositioned (respectfully) several times. I invite them all to visit the Corvette site I moderate at and refuse any/all personal advances.

I also tell my Hubby about these encounters.
Here is what he said:
The men are attracted to my confidence within myself.
Here is what I replied:
My confidence is derived from the stability I feel within our marriage.

Same thing for you...in a relationship I think women put off a 'vibe' of self-confidence that attracts men.

I must clarify that all through growing up, I was a nerdy-bookworm...happiest with my books and riding my horse. I grew up 15 miles out of town and had no close friends. I feel my social skills were retarded in development and I was painfully shy. Had a bad long-term relationship out of HS/college who did nothing for my self confidence other than beat it down. It wasn't until meeting/marrying Hubby that I feel I blossomed into the self-confident person I am today. I will talk to anyone, anywhere and about anything.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted
in a relationship I think women put off a 'vibe' of self-confidence that attracts men.
There's the answer, right there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

agreed, and to expand, I think women not in a relationship but still happy may give out an "I don't need you" vibe (hate that word) (( ))