The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Really nice person

Woman tips a cabbie 30 cents on an 11 dollar fare. He finds a BAG of diamond rings she had left behind in the trunk. He goes crazy trying to locate her to return her goods. She gives him a hundred bucks. Story here.

I call bitch.

OK, maybe that's not fair...let me put it this way:

If I were the woman, I think I would have been much more appreciative that someone returned 31 diamond rings to me. She was a jeweler...whether she owned the diamonds or a corporation did...someone would be hurting for that money.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 02-07-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cheap bitch at that.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Maybe she didn't carry around so much cash on hand, for safety reasons, and perhaps will thank him more formally and more generously in the future.

But then she could be a bitch.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cash karma will get you
it's gonna knock you right on your ass
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Sound like a story from "My Name is Earl". Was her name Carma?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Guyute
Gamehenge

Similar thing happened where I live last week- Student finds $10K, gets a $500 reward, then gets home to find out the gov't retracted most of his student loan...what a way to end the day.
QUOTE:
It’s not $10,000 but honest student rewarded

For any student who has struggled to pay for tuition while dining on macaroni and cheese, finding an abandoned wad of cash would be too good to be true.

But when Jaime Hawkins stumbled upon a "loaf-of-bread-sized" stack of $20 bills next to a bank machine at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, the student immediately decided to return the cash.

The $10,000 stack was mistakenly left behind by two security guards who were refilling the machine in the student union building.

Hawkins, who handed the money to a student union employee, says he "feels good" about his decision, though he now finds himself strapped for cash.

Last month, about a week after he found the loot, the 29-year-old discovered his New Brunswick student loan had been reassesed, meaning he’ll receive nearly $6,000 less than he initially thought.

However, Toronto-based Group 4 Securicor, the firm that misplaced the money, says Hawkins and the student union worker will each receive $500 rewards.

"It’s nice to know there’s honest people in the world with integrity, whose mother raised them right," said company spokeswoman Robin Steinberg.

articel: http://www.herald.ca/Search/557465.html
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
whether she owned the diamonds or a corporation did...someone would be hurting for that money.

What if...

her company owned them, they were insured, would not cover a reward but would happily sack her for losing them....

she's not so much a jeweller as a jeweller's gofer who's cab fare but not tips and certainly not rewards are paid for and who's salary is not registering on the astonishing scale

It could be that the tip was all she had, or perhaps the driver was unpleasnat on the ride. It could be that the reward is coming out of her own pocket and she isn't loaded, or it's the maximum her company would pay. Who knows? Why judge?

All one can really get from this story is that the cabbie is honest. And attention-seeking. I doubt very much the jewellers instigated the press coverage on this.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

Maybe she didn't carry around so much cash on hand, for safety reasons?

thirty one diamond rings.... kinda voids the safety rational..

and I hate to be a dick, but... even if she were just a gofer.. she left 31 diamond rings.. in a bag.. in a cab.. she perhaps ought to reconsider her career choice.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
But when Jaime Hawkins stumbled upon a "loaf-of-bread-sized" stack of $20 bills next to a bank machine at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, the student immediately decided to return the cash.
Or he was smart enough to know if he got anywhere near that machine it took his picture.